1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros 2022 Season General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Snake Diggit, Apr 9, 2022.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

I want to face those ****ing Yankees in the playoffs. Just want to stomp all over them, move on to the World Series, and win the whole ****ing thing......just to throw in their ****ing face and the entire MLB.

2. Buck Turgidson

Correct me if I'm wrong:

this is 6 years in a row that the Stros have had a 10 game winning streak

Nook, BMoney and raining threes like this.
  3. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I was gone for 2020 rv’ing across the US so I wasn’t really locked info that season, but don’t remember us winning 10 in a row on the way to 29-31.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  4. Buck Turgidson

Oh, yeah, that season. Did it actually happen? Just looked, they won only 8 in a row that year. They've had a 10+ game streak in 7 of the last 8 years. They had a 10+ game streak 8 times in the franchise's first 53 years (per Robert Ford).

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

8 extrapolates out to over 10 due to it being 2020.

No Worries and Buck Turgidson like this.
  6. ZJP3

ZJP3 Member

What are y'alls thoughts on Yuli right now. I knew he was struggling but didn't realize just how much. Only 5 rbi's, just 1(!) during this win streak. Still batting below .200.

I am still of the belief that he has to snap out of it. He has been so steady for so long, and his type of hitting profile doesn't just fall off a cliff like this.

7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Father time has yet to lose, and Yuli is old.

Every time he has a good AB I keep hoping he's gonna turn a corner, but it's hope, not expectation. Unless he is hiding an injury, all of the evidence around his performance suggests he's just not all that good right now. This isn't really bad luck.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Hard to say. His age and a lot of his underlying stats are pretty ominous signs that this might be age-related decline, which even for a player like Gurriel can happen rapidly and seemingly out of nowhere. But Gurriel is not a typical 38 year old and there’s at least a chance that his numbers are the result of a bad pitch recognition or bad swings both of which might be fixable. He also could be hurt. He did finally barrel a ball last week (his first of the season). I still have hope, and his track record and the fact that the front office has stuck with him are both good signs. But each week that passes with him still struggling shifts me more to the pessimistic side.

9. Screaming Fist

The only positive thing I can say for Yuli besides his track record is that he hasn't really collapsed in any one area - he's just gotten a little or somewhat worse at a lot of things. Maybe it's health related.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

11. mightybosstone

After Luis Garcia's start yesterday and looking at the numbers, I think Garcia deserves a little more love. Honestly, it's hard to argue against him as the second best starter on the team at the moment and that he has potential as a legit No. 2 or No. 3 moving forward. He's 3-1 and sitting at 5th in the AL in WHIP, 11th in ERA and 10th in strikeouts. His K/9 is actually higher than JV. If the All-Star game happened tomorrow, there's a decent chance he makes that team.

It's gotten to the point where, when I see the starting pitching matchup for the day and I see Garcia's name, I'm relieved. I'm way more nervous with Framber or Urquidy on the mound.

everyday eddie and cmoak1982 like this.
  12. toby

toby Member

Give the man his pizza and coke. It worked last year.

13. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Could be several things with Yuli

1. He was the best hitter on the team in spring training. Then a couple games into the season he has a new child and it went to hell after he came back from paternity leave. Who knows if he has problems at home that are carrying onto the field.

2. He mentioned in spring training he would like to stay in Houston and basically said he wanted an extension. I would want one too after last season.... Maybe he is putting too much pressure on himself trying to get that last sizeable contract

3. Or he's just getting old

He will have a VERY long leash to get it figured out.

14. Screaming Fist

Just so weird that guys like Passan can carve out a lucrative career covering a sport he knows less about than random bloggers on FG or Rotoballers or whatever.

everyday eddie likes this.
  15. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

16. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

All about access journalism...how the media across the spectrum operates these days as that draws ads and clicks. Want scoops, get close to folks in good position to give you them and then give them anonymity or them/their clients fluff pieces every once in awhile. Build a following as you break stories because of your relationships and make lots of money. Requires little to no knowledge of what you are covering, just your ability to network with the right people.

This would be fine if the common reader would understand that all these reporters are useful for is their ability to break stories and not take their opinions all that seriously. Kind of like Woj or Shams on the NBA side...no reason to care about their opinions...hell, many are probably biased in regards to their contacts anyway. Unfortunately, media organizations prop these guys into those type of roles because of their following and their ability to draw clicks and views as they are more concerned with money instead of ethics and morals.

Screaming Fist likes this.
  17. Landry's Tooth

Just a thought to get Yuli going...

Altuve
    Gurriel
    Tucker
    Bregman
    Alvarez
    Brantley
    Pena
    McCormick
    Maldanado

18. Buck Turgidson

I need to pay more attention to his stance and swing. He said last year that one adjustment he made that really helped was setting up more open so he could see the pitcher with both eyes and then closing up as the pitch was delivered. Timing is everything.

I got nothing though, he's too good a hitter to be this bad, even if he is slowing down with age. He's due a typical ridiculous Yuli hot streak (akin to what Altuve's doing), I'm rooting for it to happen soon.

Madmanmetz likes this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

I love this so much. Needs a "Fine, take our manager and GM" then a "pitching coach"

20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I literally love this team.

Just great in so many different areas so far this season: Rotation, pen, hitting, defense, baserunning (excluding Altuve)