1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Poll: Should Vipers coach Mahmoud Abdelfattah be called up as a Rocket assistant coach.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TimDuncanDonaut, Feb 11, 2022.

?

Hire him as an assistant

1. Yes

108 vote(s)
    89.3%
  2. No

13 vote(s)
    10.7%
  1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I don’t think Mo will even take the assistant job offer out of respect for Silas. He’ll probably have a promise from Stone and Patrick about replacing Silas for the 2023 season.

That puts another major losing season on Silas again and I’m sure the Rockets will just slow him to leave. No gets a clean slate with a two year Vet in Green and Co.

palmsnbananas likes this.
  2. D-rock

D-rock Member

Abdelfattah should be celebrating his SECOND championship as HC of Vipers.

Stone F'ed that up so he needs to make it right next season.

3. D-rock

D-rock Member

Rockets need to promote this guy!!!

Rudyc281 and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  4. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yes, but as far as system.....it's Silas system @hakeem94

G-league affiliates are asked to run the same system as their parent
    NBA big league team. Allows for easier transition to the big league team.

What we saw was Abdelfattah running the full play book trying to win
    with little variation from the system......vs the Rockets tanking and not
    running many PnR and cutter action.

This is what I meant by posting "now we are going to see the Rockets
    click" back in December and was mocked by BobbythenotsoGreat.
    Unfortunately for me the Rockets were not done tanking.

Guys like Nix, Queen, Bey, Anthony Lamb will gets invites to training camp and have
    an advantage on the Rockets players since they had greater experience running
    the full play book .......but let's see if it translates to making the team.

#64 ApacheWarrior, Apr 22, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2022
  5. D-rock

D-rock Member

The fact that Abdelfattah can be successful running some other coaches system especially all his adjustments with his best players unavailable throughout season (called up) is further testament to Abdelfattah and a disparagement of Silas.

Abdelfattah is coaching rings around Silas if what you're saying is true.

And has proven capable of success with a roster that is turned over every season.

And Abdelfattah is directly responsible for the development of many young Rockets players like KPJ, KJ, Mathews, Nix, Kabengele, Lamb, Bey and g league MVP Queen.

Only Lucas has been as critical to player development as Abdelfattah.

#65 D-rock, Apr 22, 2022
    saleem, Rudyc281 and TheRealist137 like this.
  6. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Abdelfattah is a good coach but absolutely silly for people to judge Silas while the team is in tank mode.

Completely asinine.

Judge when we (Rockets) are actually trying to win. This season (22/23). If he is still failing then I'm with everyone in this assessment. But if the team starts succeeding then people were just flat out idiotic.

When I was pushing Abdelfattah you were one of the guys belittling him. My how things have changed with a little success. Two years of Silas
    means two years of the Vipers following is system with little deviation.

7. D-rock

D-rock Member

Youre confusing me with someone else, I did not belittle Abdelfattah.

And Silas has been trying to win both seasons until FO makes him sit his vets when 85% of season done, its asinine to believe otherwise.

Same system does not equal same coaching.

Roster management, player minutes, in game adjustments, lockerrom culture, focus on defense, all these matter.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://theathletic.com/3263162/2022/04/22/mahmoud-abdelfattah-g-league-rockets/

In today’s NBA, the G League is no longer considered an afterthought, a lower-level competition where players simply go to juice their stats. It’s an integral part of player development and overall franchise growth.

It’s no mistake, then, that the Houston Rockets and Rio Grande Valley Vipers are at the forefront of organizational synergy. Over the past few years, the Vipers have enjoyed success, winning two of the past three G League Finals. At the same time, the Rockets have benefited from the Vipers’ system, sending players down and calling them up, trusting the system and teaching being employed.

Vipers head coach Mahmoud Abdelfattah represents the strong bond between the two teams, having served as an assistant in Houston before making the transition. With a firm backing in analytics, Abdelfattah has overseen a Vipers team that set league records during the 2021-22 season in offensive rating and offensive rebounding, which led to a fourth G League title.

The Athletic sat down with Abdelfattah, the first Muslim coach to reach that pinnacle, to discuss the Vipers’ significance and development, being trusted with Houston’s key players and much more. Some parts have been edited for brevity and clarity.

As the first Muslim coach in NBA/G League history to win a championship, what does hearing that do for you? Especially during a time like Ramadan?

Kelly, I’m very thankful, honestly, to be in this position, to be the first Muslim, first Palestinian, to be a G League head coach and to be the first one to win a G League championship. And hopefully, I can be someone that people see that if they want to do something, they can fulfill their dreams. Basketball is an avenue; I can be that avenue for them to reach out to and connect and give them advice. I’m very thankful for the last three years. The way that we finished the season off, winning the championship, being Coach of the Year … it’s been a blessing, especially during the month of Ramadan. Can’t ask for nothing greater.

I want to go back a bit to the beginning of the season. You were with Houston for training camp in Galveston. What was that experience like being around colleagues like Stephen Silas and Will Weaver, and what did you take from that time that was applied to how you run things with the Vipers?

This was my third or fourth training camp around Houston. I’ve been to a few with (Mike) D’Antoni when he was there and then, obviously, Coach Silas. But you know, the way we run the G League — and I think we do the best of any organization — we’re on top of everything; we run the same things offensively and defensively. There’s great communication between me and the coaching staff up in Houston, between me and the front office. And they provide as much support as we need in order to be successful.

But when we were in Galveston for training camp, the biggest thing for us was building that relationship with the younger guys, two-way guys. Fortunately enough, we had (Daishen) Nix the entire year. But, you know, I spent the entire week with him. I remember just getting there early, getting up shots with him, coaching him up in some drills. On top of just being around other coaches, that’s a big time for me to make sure I understand exactly what they want to implement in Houston — so I know what I want my staff to implement. At that time, we did not have our assistants hired. I had to make sure that I understood everything clearly so that I could explain to my staff exactly what’s expected, from the NBA assignments when they come down to the two-ways and G League players to developing them and putting them in a position to succeed. I’ve been fortunate to be a part of Houston. I don’t think there’s a better organization than the Rockets/Vipers combination all throughout.

Going back to what you mentioned about the Rockets and Vipers, there’s always seemed to be this synergy and connection you don’t always see with teams. What’s the secret behind that relationship?

The success that we’ve had, the culture down here at RGV, the fan base and support. It’s like its own NBA team. Houston wants us to succeed. There have been a lot of good players that have come through RGV: Clint Capela, Rob Covington, Danuel House, Isaiah Hartenstein, Daishen Nix. Josh Christopher’s played games, Anthony Lamb has played games, Armoni Brooks … the success that we’ve had, we know what the winning recipe is, and hopefully, we can just continue to build value.

With being around the team for so long, you get to create your own persona. With that being said, who is Coach Mahmoud? Obviously, you guys run similar things to what’s done in Houston, but every coach has their own spice and flavor.

I’m gonna bring the same thing every single day — the same positivity, same enthusiasm — and I’m gonna put forth my best effort to help guys achieve their goals. Whether guys play or not, I’m going to show them love. I’m gonna sit down to watch film with them. I’ll get on the floor and work with them. So it’s not going to change who I am. When it gets to the floor, it’s about letting guys be who they are. I’m just gonna hold them accountable to the things that Coach (Silas) does up top. Just making sure guys are on time, guys are being professionals and doing the things that they would do if they were in the Houston locker room.

Outside of that, offensively and defensively, there are certain shots we’re going to take. We’re not going to take midrange 2s; we’re not going to post up. It’s better for the guys down here, because for development purposes, I think if guys can focus on a few things rather than a lot, they can become better at few (rather) than average at many. So focus on getting to the rim; focus on shooting 3s. And then defensively, we’re gonna switch. I’m sure you’ve seen us play; we’re gonna switch one through five and up top. You’ve got to be able to switch. I don’t care who you are, if you’re the five man or the one, if you got to go to the post, you’ve got to be physical. If you have to guard a guard and you’re a five man, you have to sit down and move your feet. You have to study personnel. Because at the end of the day, that’s what winning teams do. You can watch the playoffs. That’s what the G League is about — development.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

You touched on this earlier, but when you look at the Vipers history over the past five or six years, there’s a unique developmental success system. Countless players have come through and become productive NBA players. What goes into that growth and progress? What’s there that makes going to the Vipers so worthwhile?

A lot of people, before they get here, they’re not sure what they’re getting into. They’re not sure how McAllen, Edinburg, RGV and the facilities (are). But when they get here, they see that we truly have what it takes to be successful. Obviously, we’ve won the most championships. We have the most call-ups. We have the most wins in G League history. But it’s just the communication and the support from both ways. The Houston Rockets value the G League and the Vipers. I stay in communication with the front office and the coaching staff once or twice a week minimum. Anything that we need film-wise — database, analytics — they don’t miss a beat.

We get talented players because they know our style of play translates to the NBA. Everyone’s looking for 3-and-D guys, and we’re simplifying our game. So, you got to be able to shoot 3s; you gotta put the ball on the floor and get to the rim. And if you can switch one through five, you’re gonna be able to get some film out to these NBA scouts that want to see. You’re gonna get in game reps of how an NBA team wants you to play in that role.

How heavy are analytics in what you guys do? For example, the Rockets, in spite of their record, finished in the top 10 in percentage of points from the 3-point line, free-throw line and at the rim. Is there a similar approach in your day-to-day operations?

It goes back to Daryl Morey and others. He’s been consistent throughout. I learned a lot from Daryl, Monte (McNair) and those guys and how they wanted things and just the importance of shot selection. I don’t try to do too much here in regards to communicating it to the players, but it definitely has an impact on our development and how I coach. We don’t take midrange 2s because it’s the least efficient shot in the game outside of guys that are in the NBA making $45 million a year. And we want to get corner 3s. We want to get to the rim. And we want to do those things because those are the most efficient shots.

The reason why we switch defensively is because we want to be able to take away the shots that we want to take. Switching allows us to take away open 3s, and switching will hopefully force isos, which will create post-ups and non-paint 2s. I try to keep it simple here for the guys. We’re aware of our offensive rebounds. We’re the No. 1 offensive rebounding team in G League history this year. We look at numbers in regards to that, how many guys we send to the offensive glass. We look at our transition pace, as well. There’s a number of categories, but shot selection and offensive rebounds are the two biggest statistics that we look at.

Along those same lines of innovation and coaching, what are some of the up-and-coming trends that we see in scheme or X’s and O’s being employed in the G League that the NBA may soon imitate?

I will let you know when somebody gives me a new deal! (laughs) Everybody does the same things. What do you get your guys and the staff to buy into? It’s just getting more possessions. How can you find more possessions? Some people do that by trying to trap full-court press, trying to turn you over. Some people want to slow you down and minimize the possessions. We led the league in turnovers, but we figured if we led the league in offensive rebounds, it’s gonna be very tough to beat us with as many 3s as we take. Because if we shoot the most 3s in the league, that’s gonna give us the most opportunities to get more offensive rebounds. So, something simple, I won’t go too much in depth; we can be here for hours. But that’s honestly the biggest thing.

You mentioned speaking to Houston at least once or twice a week. The kind of talks you have with Silas and other coaches, are they more person-centric, like about players’ general wellbeing, or is it a schematic talk — perhaps trends you’re seeing to pick up or vice versa?

Just communication and the development of guys. They asked how everybody’s doing from the assignments to the two-ways to the G League guys. Every two weeks, we’ll send player reports, updates on guys so everybody in the front office and coaching staff can read what guys are doing, what the development plan is like. And they’ll just check in on how me and the staff are doing, anything they can help with. And then with the coaches, schematically, I want to make sure if there’s anything new that has been implemented — anything different, anything that they want to see on my end — that they can possibly use in Houston.

Coach Silas and I stay in contact because I’m willing to try something different or new if Coach wants me to or the front office does, because as long as Houston’s successful, we’re all successful. But I stay in contact with all those guys, just about schematics, development of players with Silas, Weaver, (DeSagana) Diop, (Rick) Higgins, (John) Lucas. (Silas) will check in, especially when guys come up and down, so it’s consistent communication. And they texted me after every game in the (G League) playoffs: “Bring home the trophy, keep it up, you’re doing a hell of a job. Those guys enjoy it there; you’re developing up, keep it up.” So it’s an organizational success.

saleem, Deckard, Rudyc281 and 3 others like this.
  10. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

It as you sir. I said he was an innovative coach up and coming and posted an article
    stating such and you shot him down saying his record doesn't look like that of a good
    coach. If you weren't belittling him, you certainly weren't propping him up either.

I defended him by saying his players were crap running the D'Antoni system of
    5-men out......at least D'Antoni had Harden.....point out the Harden on the Vipers team?

Now the Rockets and Silas are tanking and you want to say they have been trying?!?
    Mavs with Silas had players with high frequency in PnR Ball Handler, PnR Roll Men,
    and Cutters all scoring high in NBA percentile. We ain't getting none of that at the
    big league level......just with the G-league Vipers.

I was right about Abdelfattah being a good coach and I'm right about Silas being a
    good coach. People will see as we actually try to win games this season. But you
    keep thinking the way you think. More power to you. Every coach has call ups and
    injuries in the G-league. It's the nature of the beast. Comes with the territory.
    You think the Blue Coats didn't send Springer and Bassey between them and 76ers?
    C'mon man

11. D-rock

D-rock Member

Abdelfattah stresses same things D'Antoni did, exta possessions (hunt offensive rebounds + turnovers) and focus on what each player does best.

saleem, Nook and Rudyc281 like this.
  12. D-rock

D-rock Member

There is a huge difference between questioning and belittling.

C'mon man.

And I've been on Abdelfattah band wagon since his 2nd season as Vipers HC when he developed KPJ as PG.

Where is this coming from now?

Why didn't you bring it up at any time when I started BRIGHTSIDE thread dedicated to Vipers excellence and maintained the thread for almost 2 seasons?

Rudyc281 likes this.
  13. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Because I said my peace in 2019/20 when we were looking for a head coach
    to replace D'Antoni. That was the time to hire Abdelfattah. It's who has the "EYE"
    before the "Obvious" You don't buy stocks after everyone has bought the stock...
    It's about catching the elevator at the basement on the way up.

Just like it was unfair to fire Abdelfattah in his first season with a .356 winning
    percentage and forced to run a 5-man out system with trash player and
    Chris Clemons running the point of attack as the Harden role.....it's equally unfair
    to replace Silas after the star player forced his way out of town to Brooklyn
    and the front office has been ordering the "CODE RED" on the past two seasons
    for "Fade for Cade" and now "Che-t-anking" or "Ja-lose for Ja-Bari" or "Belly-up-for Banchero"

14. D-rock

D-rock Member

LOL

Your posts can be meandering and convoluted.

I thought you meant I "belittled" Abdelfattah as Vipers coach, which I didn't.

And if you said your piece in 2019 then why are you making a fuss now?

I am advocating for Abdelfattah to join Silas staff, is this offensive to you now?

15. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

But many others are advocating him as replacement.

I'm pointing out the fact that both started bad and it's just dumb to trade out coaches
    like a change of underwear. Let them get their players in there to run their system.

Unfortunately our big league team has unfavorable contracts such as Wall and Eric Gordon
    that hand cuff any coach due to the NBA salary cap and regulations.

It's not like the G-league where you can clean house every season and start proper such.

And anyone complimenting Abdelfattah is complimenting Silas in a round about way.
    Abdelfattah is running the Silas system....not the other way around.

16. TimDuncanDonaut

If he becomes head coach he can decide what he wants to do.

The current viper system is intentional. Him running the 5-out system shouldn't be a knock. When Viper guys gets called up it's to make the transition easier. This is kind of stating the obvious.

I think assistant coach is more realistic. He should fit in just fine. Plus he starts adding NBA assistant coaching title to his résumé. There are HC that don't start on this path, but most of them are former well known players. This gets him in the NBA door.

#76 TimDuncanDonaut, Apr 22, 2022
    D-rock likes this.
  17. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://theathletic.com/3264323/2022/04/25/mahmoud-abdelfattah-rockets-vipers/

Because of the synergy that exists between the Houston Rockets and Rio Grande Valley Vipers, the development of young players is a two-fold approach. Over coach Mahmoud Abdelfattah’s tenure with the Vipers, he’s been entrusted with key rotational figures like Kevin Porter Jr. and Josh Christopher, as well as projects in Daishen Nix, Usman Garuba, Trevelin Queen and more.

Part 1 of The Athletic’s interview with Abdelfattah featured the head coach discussing the Vipers’ significance and overall chemistry, as well as Abdelfattah being trusted with Houston’s potential key players of the future. In Part 2 of the conversation, Abdelfattah dished on particular experiences, similarities with Rockets head coach Stephen Silas, the G League Finals run and more.

There’s a similarity that exists between you and Coach Silas. At one point, both of you were assistant coaches before ultimately making the jump to the big chair. When did you know it was time to make that leap?

I think a lot of guys think that they’re ready. I think they are prepared, and you can do your best to try and prepare for that position. But there’s nothing like experience. When you’re the head coach, there’s nothing that can prepare you for that. You can have examples, you can have feedback from others, but until you actually put yourself in that position — whether that’s 5, 10, 15 years after being an assistant — your first year as head coach is totally different than everything else. But I’m just fortunate, I’ve learned a ton from being an assistant to my first year as head coach — and from my first year as head coach to my third year as head coach, obviously winning the championship. But it’s just experience, Kelly, just experience.

The focus right now is the special achievement you guys pulled off. The Vipers have won two out of the last three championships, but was there anything special about this season’s particular run?

Me being the head coach, it’s a little different than when you’re an assistant. We started off 8-0 in the Showcase Cup. Seeing Daishen Nix get his four-year deal, seeing TQ get his two-way contract and becoming an MVP, seeing (Mfiondu) Kabengele shoot 44 percent from 3. Just seeing all these guys truly made me feel like I’m helping these guys accomplish their goal, but also accomplish a team goal, as well.

Josh Christopher was around for a bit earlier this year. How was that? What changed for him during those games that allowed him to come back to Houston and force his way into Silas’ rotation?

I think it gave him some confidence. He cleaned up his shot selection a little bit. It kind of helped simplify the game for him. He was a first-round pick for a reason. He’s talented, and he’s played behind some talented dogs there. But it’s hard. I mean, when you have a lot of talented young guys, it’s hard to find minutes for those guys. But he came here, he took it and ran with it. He was playing loose and having fun. When he went back there, in the minimum minutes that he got, he just played well. He played with confidence, and he earned it. You’re gonna get what you earn, and that’s how (Silas) is. That’s why his minutes went up. I think he played three games with us. Thankfully, we had him — I think we were 3-0 — but it was easy to have, easy to get along with, and he was having fun, averaging 30.

Another name that gets overlooked but shouldn’t in terms of time spent there is Kevin Porter Jr. It seemed like he came into his own as a player, realizing what he could do at a new position. What were those conversations like with him behind the scenes? Being down for a reason, but learning the point guard under your guidance?

Scoot was good. He’s an all-level NBA talent. When he came down the bubble, the major thing was the ball was gonna be in his hands as the point guard, because that’s what Houston wanted him to be. We were there together for a month and a half. So, he got the opportunity to spend time with his teammates, stay inside and just focus on basketball for that period and have no outside distractions. But Scoot’s a good person. Whatever he needed, I was there for him. We watched film together; I put him through pregame workouts, as well. I was the guy doing that for him. He’s good and hopefully will continue to succeed in his time in Houston.

Daishen Nix and Trevelin Queen are two other young names that spent a good deal of time with you and the Vipers this season. What do you like from their individual games, and can you see them contributing to the Rockets at some point in the future?

TQ, just his ability to score the basketball. And defensively, he was second in the league in Defensive Player of the Year voting. He was leading the league in steals for a while until he got hurt. And then, just his ability to make tough shots. He shot about 34 percent from 3, but he takes a lot of tough shots. He can continue to improve in all areas, and that’s what I continue to tell him. Don’t be satisfied just with being the MVP of the G League. But, just his ability to shoot and defend; that’s something a 3-and-D player can always translate, but he can always get better at those things.

For Nix, you’ve seen his growth from training camp. He was a quiet, keep-to-himself kind of player. He was averaging single-digit points a game the first couple games in the G League and was a two-way guy. Now averaging 20 points a game, (he) got a four-year deal. I mean, he had a triple-double in the G League Finals. The kid has a great future ahead of him. He’s unbelievable to coach. I’m very fortunate to have coached him. You saw how we played when we had him. He just took us to a whole nother level. It took three or four people to stop him when he’s getting downhill, putting the ball on the floor. So, he has a great future ahead of them.

Have you given any thought about your future? I know you just won a championship and will use time to relax and decompress, but would you potentially return to the NBA? Stay with the Vipers? Any thoughts at all?

Obviously, after winning the championship, everybody’s been asking me over the last five days. That’s my ultimate goal. I would love to stay with the Houston Rockets organization. I love working with the front office. I love working with Coach Silas and the staff. If I have the opportunity to do so, I would love to, but we’re kind of just wrapping up the season right now, doing exit interviews with these guys and my staff. I’ll think about that with the days to come.

The last thing before I let you go: I know you were present for the infamous Kevin Porter Jr.-Jalen Green showdown in the G League last year. What did you see from Jalen then, and do you find it sort of cool that the game was foreshadowing a future partnership?

The one thing that stood out to me — and still to this day — it’s not anything that he did on the floor, in regards to his athleticism. There was a point, I think he was 0 of 7 from 3, and I checked the box score and he still had, like, 28 (points). Like, what is going on right now? Where’s he scoring from? We all knew how talented he was. I knew he was talented, but I thought we did a good job on him defensively. He missed some good looks, but I’m like that guy is the No. 1 pick right there, baby. But, you know, obviously they’re talented, they’re playing well together, and hopefully a bright future is ahead for the Houston Rockets together.

18. TimDuncanDonaut

Coach Mahmoud guests on clutchfansDOTnet's Rocket Fuel podcast. Discusses his journey and Viper's championship season.

D-rock likes this.
  19. TimDuncanDonaut

@JR is it official yet?
    [​IMG]

J.R., Rudyc281 and D-rock like this.
  20. D-rock

D-rock Member

Rockets Nation overwhelmingly want this to happen.

Figures that Rockets FO drags out such a no brainer of a decision.

saleem, Rudyc281 and TimDuncanDonaut like this.