1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ukraine

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Nov 25, 2018.

1. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Too bad you've never supported candidates that favor giving aid to American children, impoverished, food shelters etc.

Consistency isn't really a strong point for you, Trump supporters, and many of those that claim to be libertarians when it's advantageous to do that.

Blatz and deb4rockets like this.
  2. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Baby Rs trying to defraud the US government. How cute!

Blatz likes this.
  3. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

When we restock, military contractors will be well feed, I predict.

Invisible Fan and Xerobull like this.
  4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You need a good proxy war to use up all the old inventory to clear the way for the new stuff.

DD

Xerobull likes this.
  5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

For those complaining about the costs of supporting Ukraine keep in mind just letting Putin take over Ukraine will likely lead to more economic hardship. It would give an authoritarian greater control of global food and energy supplies while also causing problems for the our close economic partners in the EU.

War is costly, simply allowing Putin to rebuild the Soviet Union might be even more costly in the long run.

6. DaDakota

Where was all this b****ing about money when we were giving the rich a 1.9 trillion tax cut?

DD

Xerobull and FranchiseBlade like this.
  7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Not really. Most of the value delivered to Ukraine will be in-kind, in the form of military equipment, food, and supplies. Some minority of the aid might be cash to Ukraine, I'm not sure. Of course, corrupt Ukrainians might just sell the weapons they get and pocket the profits, but I'd suggest they have less motivation than most to do something like that given their circumstances. And, of course the balance of the package is actually for helping NATO allies and resupplying our own stockpiles, increasing domestic production of grains and expand reserves of critical minerals. It looks to me like the great majority of the package is not at risk from any Ukrainian corruption (American corruption is a different matter, of course). It is kinda funny though to see Republicans who never batted an eye at increases in military spending are now calling this irresponsible spending and lamenting that this money isn't being spent on domestic infrastructure (which, of course, they are simultaneously blocking).

Blatz and FranchiseBlade like this.
  8. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

[​IMG]

I just had a thought. If Netflix gets the rights to this war, it will be canceled after one season.

CCorn and KingCheetah like this.
  9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I should be banned for that lazy/ lame joke.

10. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

It's one of my go-to's when my wife takes her shirt off.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  11. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed. Do better.

KingCheetah likes this.
  12. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

Totally agree, dude should have been banned long ago. Nobody makes more lame jokes than cheetah…

KingCheetah likes this.
  13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

14. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

15. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

16. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

That's a shame.

I think financial oversight, and little clauses which makes it illegal to exploit these funds, should be standard wording and enforced for these emergency funding packages.

I mean obviously Paul is a bad actor and it serves no purpose to attempt to work with him, but it offers a glimpse of what a true working government might look like at actually solving problems.

I hope the Conservatives can re-invent themselves one day and abandon this completely worthless paradigm they are currently trapped in.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  17. HTM

HTM Member

Doesn’t mean we should be suckers about it. 40 billion. It shouldn’t be a blank check. What’s a fair and realistic number? There’s a real conversation to have there.

18. DaDakota

Let's see proposals, not conversations if Rand d******d Paul doesn't like the number what is his proposal?

DD

19. HTM

HTM Member

I assume its less

20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We’re not handing them a blank check. The package is a mix of humanitarian and military aid. It includes replenishing US and other weapon store so some of that money is coming right back to the US.

Part of the package goes to address food shortages caused by the war as Ukraine was one of the Worlds top producers of wheat.

I’m on my phone so can’t post text but here is an article with a lot more info what’s in the bill that isn’t behind a pay wall.
    https://www.pbs.org/newshour/world/house-passes-40-billion-ukraine-aid-package

No Worries likes this.