1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alperen is our best player.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Francis3422, Dec 10, 2021.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

They could play together, just not very well.

Their games are very similar and they are at their best in or as close to the paint as possible. Banchero is less efficient offensively.

The biggest issue is that their weaknesses are almost identical on defense.

Neither are switchable or good rim protectors.

groovemachine and cmoak1982 like this.
  2. D-rock

D-rock Member

How many big men passers who are not good defenders do Rockets need?

And Sengun is just as good if not better than Banchero as a passer.

3. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

You may be right, but I'm open to the possibility that Banchero in particular has the foot speed to become an average to marginally above average defender. I have faith they could become part of a very good front court rotation. Granted, I'm convinced by your and other's argument that Chet would be an ideal fit, and Jabari likely a better fit as well.

Obviously we'll have more clarity this time next week, but it would be a mistake to pass on Banchero in favor of Sharpe or Murray due to worries about fit with Sengun. If we draft Paulo, they'll figure it out!

D-rock likes this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Member

I agree with everything you said.

I'm not against drafting Banchero, just not before either Chet or Jabari.

If Banchero had Blake's verticality, there would be no discussion - Banchero is hands down the pick.

5. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

It'll be so nice to narrow the debate after the 17th. I'll be perfectly content with Paolo at 3 or 4. At 1 or 2 I would go Chet/Jabari. Chet brings the defense and shooting, Jabari is at worst a 6' 10" 3/D. Offense can be developed but the guys bringing defensive instincts should be the top 2 picks.

6. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Honestly I'm hoping for Alps and Garuba to get a late growth spurt and gain like 1-2 inches in height.

7. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

honestly i am hoping alpi gets traded to warriors or something...hes not a type of player rockets could use and/or maximize his talents...better trade him now while you still can get a good player or a good pick for him...hes kinda talent that gets wasted on inferior teams and without a superb coaching...

8. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Then you need to go to Warriors forums, you aren’t a Rockets fan if you want to trade one of our young core members.
    Stop this stupidity

Drift Monkey and AroundTheWorld like this.
  9. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

edit: duplicate post

Mathloom likes this.
  10. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

Garuba and Sengun are among the ten youngest players in the NBA (400+ players).

Sengun's summer homework is easy. Muscle and 3pt shot.

11. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Senguns defense is also harshly underrated. By his own fans even.

Drift Monkey, aaquaa, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  12. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

I don't think he's bad, but I'm not convinced yet that he will be a great defender. He was certainly one of the better defenders on a horrible defensive team, which is a good sign. He's better than I expected before I saw him play.

I think he'll improve next season. If he's a passable defender on the perimeter when we start trying to win, it's going to be a big boost to his career.

#2272 Mathloom, May 12, 2022
    Last edited: May 12, 2022
    D-rock, cmoak1982 and Verbal Christ like this.
  13. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

For sure! I dont think he'll find himself in any DPOY discussions, but he's not dumpster juice like some guys would have you believe. Sengun processes the game faster than others and uses his great IQ to put him in the right spots. His vertical explosion and lateral quickness is somewhat limited, but he should find himself more able to hold ground and stay away from fouls next year (I hope!). Im not very ecstatic on having two high ranking draft picks (Sengun,Chet) on the same team if they both struggle with fouls.

Defense is a hive mentality. Every guy on the team will have to buy in to turn it around - it wont be because of any 1 guy.

14. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Yeah. Given how smart he appears on the court, I'm hoping he aims for like the Battier style defender based on smarts and preparation. Also, I'm not saying he will reach Battier's level of defense, just the similar mentality/style.

#2274 rpr52121, May 12, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2022
  15. D-rock

D-rock Member

Sengun is also committed to defense and has always been high effort player on both ends of court.

And even in Euroleague Sengun showed how defensively disruptive he is.

Sengun has great hands to go with his IQ, just needs to improve his lateral agility.

Drift Monkey, ElPigto, aaquaa and 2 others like this.
  16. aaquaa

aaquaa Member

[​IMG]

Drift Monkey likes this.
  17. D-rock

D-rock Member

Agree on hive mentality for defense.

But every hive needs a queen bee.

MJ made his teammates better defensively, so did Dream, so did Rodman and Bill Russell.

Not convinced that Chet is walking foul like Sengun appeared to be (he actually never fouled out).

More concerned to have another season with having 2 bigs that just cannot protect the rim (last season Wood-Sengun, next season Banchero-Sengun).

Drift Monkey likes this.
  18. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I get that, but how can you be so certain that Chet would be that guy when Sengun struggled? Sengun was built for the NBA and had already played for years against grown men in a good basketball league and STILL he was tossed around and exposed at times. If Sengun couldnt body up with the bigs I dont know how Chet will? He wont always have the luxury of coming over from the weak side to help. He will have to be a point of contact guy and I just dont know. Eagerly waiting for his practice sessions to come out and hoping we can see some of these guys participate in the scrimmage portion of the combine (not holding my breath). At the very least I assume Stone would put him through some workouts against his bigs and see what shakes out. Remember what Mobley did with Steven Adams last year? I need to see some of that with Chet - I cant operate under assumptions of amatuer stats translating without seeing it with my own eyes.

Same premise with Paolo. I need to see him in space against some NBA players and watch him move defensively on the perimeter. Im not worried about his offense, same with Chet - I think if his role will be spot up shooting and minor play initiating he should do well. Both of these guys have to prove their mettle on the defensive side.

D-rock likes this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Member

You are right, it is not guaranteed that Chet is THAT guy on defense. He could be because of his production and physicality despite his lean frame AND how very vocal he already is.

But it is beyond a shadow of a doubt that Banchero can be our queen bee on defense.

He has never shown that type of dog mentality on defense, thinking he can just magic it up in the pros is wishful thinking.

There are many things Banchero does well, but defense is not one of those things. Above average NBA defender is our HOPE.

20. D-rock

D-rock Member