1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Embiid supports Jalen Green

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, May 11, 2022.

1. Asian Sensation

There’s a 100 voters. I don’t care what Simmons said or didn’t say and likewise for any other person with a vote. It doesn’t matter. When there’s a 100 voters that’s enough to get it right IMO. That being said I don’t think you could go wrong with either guy. Take out the emotion and it’s still just 1 vote out of 100. It’s not like Embiid lost because of 1 voter or even 10. Don’t think it’s fair to single out one guy.

harold bingo likes this.
  2. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Lol what? The solution is clearly to not allow media to vote. I mean look at this list:

https://hoopshype.com/2020/07/11/media-nba-awards-vote/

I wouldn't trust half of that list to do my laundry. The fact that they get to decide the most prestigious award in the NBA is bullshit.

steddinotayto and Verbal Christ like this.
  3. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Having the media vote on the most important individual award in the NBA is stupid. Embiid hit the nail on the head: it's all narrative driven. Whatever narrative the media wants to chase at any given year will be how they decide who gets the MVP. How would I change it? 75% of the votes goes to the players and 25% goes to the coaches, all voters submit their ballots anonymously. Done. That way superstar A can't influence his scrub teammate X on who to vote for nor can MVP-candidate Y try to buy coach Z's vote.

Hell, bring in the GMs too if you want and make it 70/20/10.

Patience likes this.
  4. Caesar

Caesar Member

MJ won MVP on a 72 win team, came back and won 69 the next year. No b2b mvp. It should be extremely difficult to win b2b. Joker on a 48 win team? All due respect to this bad man, but no. It doesn't sit well with me knowing there's so many all time greats who couldn't get b2b or lost out on 1 or more simply because of voter fatigue.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  5. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

But players wouldn’t take it seriously, and are horrid at evaluating players because that is not what they do. All you would have is the big names and popular guys winning everything. You’d still see guys like Westbrook making first team all nba this year

harold bingo likes this.
  6. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

That might not be deemed as kinda support, simply call a spade a spade.
    No doubt, Embiid knows Simons better than anyone else, saw enough of his former teammate's immaturity, and fed up with all the ****.

7. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Well since you since you said "No" and provided no other details, you must be right :rolleyes:

I mean the dude has won DPOY THREE TIMES and is considered one of the better defensive centers of all time but I guess some nobody on the internet with no concrete reasons for why besides "he has a glaring weakness" must have outsmarted ALL the rest of us.

The worst part about your post is you are making me do the one thing I HATE to do which is defend the Utah freaking Jazz but Gobert is a really good player by any measure but he is playing 1 on 5 as a defender right now and no player can succeed defensively under those odds at the NBA level.

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

i mean its pretty obvious he has an impact in the paint but anything outside of that is again where he's a complete liability. You can literally look up gobert posts every year once the postseason hits and he gets exposed time and time again. That's just his reality. You're blaming 4 other guys for him being a liability. That's not how it works. You're not putting a dream team of 4 other elite defenders on the floor and then suddenly his inability to guard in space goes away. teams will continue to run schemes and sets to get Gobert isolation and either get teammates wide open shots due to help or they'll just go at gobert 1 on 1. any player who has a glaring weakness gets exposed if they don't have the capabilities to make up for it in other ways. He doesn't. He can't score on his own. he can't create for others.

#68 YOLO, May 12, 2022
    Last edited: May 12, 2022
  9. steddinotayto

1. You think the media takes it seriously? They vote based on whatever narrative they want to use that given NBA season, a narrative that they created themselves. "Oh we went with the best player on the team with the best record in the NBA last year....let's NOT do that this year and give it to the one with the best analytical stats" "No, no no we did that the year before last. This year is the one where we give it to the player that had to carry his team because the rest of the roster is ass".

2. Players have access to the same data (if not more) that the media has but they also have an advantage of actually playing/watching all players at least twice a year. Why do you think retired NBA players end up as analysts on TV/radio? Because they know the game and they know what to look for. We actually have a track record of how players vote for MVPs by way of the NBPA awards:

2015: https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/13298307/james-harden-named-mvp-nbpa-first-annual-players-awards

2016: https://www.goldenstateofmind.com/2...tephen-curry-mvp-clutch-golden-state-warriors

2017: https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...tbrook-voted-mvp-lebron-global-impact-player/

2018: https://www.si.com/nba/2018/06/07/james-harden-voted-mvp-peers-nbpa-players-voice-awards

2019: https://www.nbpa.com/news/nbpa-cele...players-voice-awards-at-the-players-night-out

So why not let them have a say on who they think is the MVP?

Or just go the MLB route and have an MVP, ROY, DPOY for each conference. Problem solved.

YOLO likes this.
  10. Asian Sensation

What’s wrong with the list? Besides half not being able to do your laundry?

11. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Mvp isn’t the only award. I just don’t think they would put in the time or care to actually do their research vs just “oh he had a good game against us” or going for the big names/friends. Not saying media does a great job (i.e. russ mvp, smart dpoy, etc) so idk if there’s a great solution

harold bingo likes this.
  12. steddinotayto

How do you know this though, the "they wouldn't put the time or care into voting"? What makes you think that they wouldn't or, rather, that the media puts "more time and care" to who they vote? For every Kevin O'Connor or Zach Kram that meticulously watches NBA games every night there's a Bill Simmons or Brian Windhorst or Ryen Russillo who probably votes on the most hyped player of the moment? I rather see the players pick their own MVP, DPOY or ROY because it's coming directly from the people who are involved with it--the players and coaches. Hell, make it a 50/50 weight between the players and coaches. That's a ton better than leaving it up to the media 100%.

YOLO likes this.
  13. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Because it’s not their job. They have practice, games, lives.

clearly the media isn’t doing a great job though, 35/100 didn’t vote for jokic which is mind blowing, so it should definitely be looked at

14. steddinotayto

I’d argue that it’s not the media’s job to vote for MVP either because their job is to write and report stories but here we are.

15. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Basketball references MVP tracker has been remarkably accurate over the last 10-20 years.

Many of its “missed predictions” over the last 20 years are the ones most people in hindsight disagree with the most.

It had Harden over Westbrook. I think it had Durant, Howard or Lebron over Rose. It definitely didn’t predict Nash winning two in a row. And in my opinion those 3 MVP winners were ones who benefited more that most from the narrative built around them winning it.

Nothing is perfect but I think this would take the bias/narrative angle out of that particular award while maintaining selections most will agree with.

Not sure what to do about other awards. I’m in the group that thinks players, current or retired, would do a pretty bad job with their vote if they had one. GMs, even if they can’t choose their own players, still are subject to having a negative bias towards the guys that would most closely rival their own guy for a reward and could lead to some goofy voting.

harold bingo likes this.
  16. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

i'm 100% in support of picking whatever advanced stats the league thinks are the best currently and using that to decide all award winners

17. wlekfjv923n

wlekfjv923n Member

I agree media having that power is strange. Who SHOULD vote? Players? Coaches? Combination? Fans? How about we mix in all those?

18. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I think a strictly stat based formula for deciding all of the award winners could eventually work, but not possible yet.

As I said I think the MVP tracker at this point has a pretty solid foundation of evidence that whatever formula they came up with very closely mirrors what actual voters end up picking.

I think eventually something similar could be used for all star and all nba. Seems like there’s still work to be done on refining defensive metrics though.

19. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

There's a lot of metrics that aren't publicly available yet but teams have access to, those could help

20. Magicsaint

Magicsaint Member

Should have been given to both players. Embiid had one hell of a dominating season.