1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Inflation at its highest in 40 years…

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by LosPollosHermanos, Dec 10, 2021.

1. SuraGotMadHops

Bahahahah, libtards just love putting words into conservative's mouths.

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Well you're saying Biden stifled production. The overwhelming cause of the drop in Oil Production was Covid right?

jiggyfly, Newlin and FranchiseBlade like this.
  3. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Nope. You brought up the notion of post-pandemic lockdowns.

See if you can can stay on (your own) topic.

Never mind that is literally impossible to talk about inflation in 2022 without also talking about the pandemic as both subjects are inextricably linked.

FranchiseBlade and jiggyfly like this.
  4. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

i'll assume you are talking about the keystone pipeline... how would that have helped oil/gas prices today? it was only 8% complete when cancelled

i agree with you about the rest. EV's are coming no matter what but are being forced a bit too much

5. SuraGotMadHops

Try over-regulation, bud.

6. SuraGotMadHops

You're the one that pinballs from here to there and back, I stay on one topic but you tend to divert elsewhere.

7. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

You did exactly that, and now you accuse me of doing so? You are a good Trumpian.

Care to share an example of how I "pinballed"? Let me save you the effort of your next deflection. You'll respond with, "I don't have time, everybody else here can read for themselves" or something to that effect. lol

Andre0087 likes this.
  8. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

That's why I said it was a psychological effect. He campaigned to get the left votes as anti-oil. No big deal until he started taking action by cancelling the pipeline. Sure it wasn't in play so it had no real bearing but it had a huge psychological bearing especially when he did it so quick. Notice that is when oil prices started to climb - which in turn caused the rise in gas prices. What they didn't see coming was the war which shot it up even more. But if Joe hadn't taken such an anti-oil stance, we'd have high prices but they wouldn't be that high.

Again my speculation was Biden thought this would get people off oil and switch over to renewables. Good idea - piss poor execution.

I personally think hydrogen is the way to go but no one else is pushing that so without the infrastructure, car makers will not make them. Batteries to me are old tech that's going to be a mess to cleanup in a few years.

9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I thought that was my thing?:D

mdrowe00 and krosfyah like this.
  10. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Get of your high horse. You aren't some fountain of knowledge spitting facts at us left and right lol.

jiggyfly, mdrowe00 and Andre0087 like this.
  11. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

multi cause problem of rising fuel prices. oil prices rose in conjecture with more people returning to the office too. and with a big hit to the bottom line of oil companies in 2020 they were fine with letting them rise to recoup lost revenue. combined with biden's green stance oil companies arent going to commit to more drilling for a short term gain.
    IMO everything went into a rubber banding effect with covid and covid measures. pendulum swinging wildly in both directions now trying to find a new base/normal.

it's a great long term move imo to move away from fossil fuels for energy but terrible time to do with covid. the alternative was being a hypocrite and opening oil up due to covid and pushing off the green agenda. both lead to losing for the democrat's

toyota and honda pushed big on hydrogen fuel systems but nothing really came of it and they are playing catchup big time now in EV's.
    i have lots of hope for new battery tech there is a lot out there to be excited about. even some moving away from lithium.

we went off topic but eh

jiggyfly, ArtV and FranchiseBlade like this.
  12. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

13. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Not that far off topic - and a good topic IMO

jiggyfly likes this.
  14. adoo

adoo Member

so says the Trump sheep that was silent when
    • there was no border wall built during the Trump era.
    • the ill-conceived trade war was started
    • every week was infrastructure week; but could never come up w a plan in that 4-yr period
    • orange hair recommend Americans ingest cleaning solutions to fight COVID

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

So the DOW being near 32000 IS that a good or bad thing?

Rocket River

16. SuraGotMadHops

I beg to differ, you could learn a ton from me.

17. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

If he wanted to learn how to hate harder he could read Mein Kampf.

jiggyfly and mdrowe00 like this.
  18. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Most of us already know the dangers of eating lead paint- we don't need a real life example.

jiggyfly and mdrowe00 like this.
  19. SuraGotMadHops

Hate what?

20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

This is why inflation is tricky and overloaded.

"Good inflation" generally means price increases beyond pop growth and people can afford it through wages (outpacing price hikes).

This kind is more about shortages that could be mapped through pre-covid demand. The world collectively took a year and a half off, didn't have means to store inventory, and broke a global system geared towards efficiency over resiliency.

Last year, the US restarted while Europe and Asia still locked down and waited another 6 months for hand-me-down vaccines. People wanted business as usual, but instead got half the products they would've received in 2019.

The supply chain doesn't work like that. Petroleum definitely does not a want a return to sub $60 barrels. Saudi/Russia took a hit out on independent American frackers right when the lockdowns started and no one here is trusting economists that another multibillion billion dollar bloodbath won't happen "because booming economy nao".

Couple that with governments heavily in debt (no true interest rate policies as 3.5% would start killing BBB rated corporations and begin prolonged "demand destruction") and you're not going to have any productive measures except random prophecies atop ivory towers that try to persuade the public to keep the music playing.

ElPigto, jiggyfly, DOMINATOR and 2 others like this.