1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen & Chet

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by htownfan_9210, Apr 15, 2022.

1. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I can't even remember a draft that he wouldn't go top 5. Maybe 2003? Though he'll likely be a hell of a lot better than Darko.

D-rock, groovemachine and cmoak1982 like this.
  2. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Poku is certainly on that Chet level, Kirilenko had more weight on him I think. As did Bradley, at least in the later stages of his career. I could probably name 5 players as skinny as Chet but it’d be hard. His length might make him look skinnier than he actually is too, like I said my eyes could be fooling me.

Verbal Christ and daywalker02 like this.
  3. vator

vator Contributing Member

4. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Chet's wingspan is insane. That will compensate for lack of lateral quickness.

D-rock and Rudyc281 like this.
  5. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Perceived*
    He’s not even remotely slow laterally. Just doesn’t need to move “fast” to stay in front of people. Wingspan and floor coverage is elite

D-rock and Rudyc281 like this.
  6. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I think Mobley is a better player NOW and would not look nearly as lost as these high school clips where the players were still finding themselves. I think if they went 1v1 today it wouldnt look this slanted and I'd actually expect Mobley to have his way with Chet.

I saw Evan Mobley go heads up with Steven Adams last year in some pre draft workouts and held his own nicely and it made me feel comfortable about his future in the NBA even when he wasnt my first pick as a Rocket. What has Chet Holmgren done lately? If its staying home and eating I'd be ok with it too, but dude is going to have to do something to start silencing the skeptics while the other guys are releasing gym sessions and workouts. Next months combine is going to be lit. I cant wait for the scrimmage portion.

vator likes this.
  7. vator

vator Contributing Member

Are you saying you think Evan has gotten much better and Chet has not improved at the same rate? Just asking. I don’t agree or disagree. Several people in the comments also said that they think current Mobley is way better. Even though this was years ago, Mobley is almost exactly 1 year older than Holmgren.

D-rock and cmoak1982 like this.
  8. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

My son got the new nba game (I’m not saying you are an idiot at all) your post reminds of some of the idiotic dialogue in the game before you are drafted. I have had to leave the room a few times I was so annoyed lol

D-rock and Verbal Christ like this.
  9. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

If your son is about 13 years old it would make sense! No offense to me! LOL Most of my 'real life' buds think Im a nerd for being a self professed draftnik and enjoy the process a little too much maybe. I wont shut up about prospects for the Rockets and "who would beat who" fantasy scenarios. You're son sounds like a cool little dude!

10. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

It’s not that. The dialogue in the game is with your created player’s childhood/friend roommate. Saying he needs to get out more social media and people are really talking about helping your draft stock. And every other sentence has a “bro” in it. My son laughs at it too haha

Verbal Christ likes this.
  11. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I need to pick up video games again. Sounds like fun to me even if its corny as hell!

12. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Yeah the newest one is only $15 used on ps5.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  13. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Need the JG/Chet pick and roll in the future please basketball gods.

D-rock likes this.
  14. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

This is Kevin Durant's rookie season, for those who seem to be forgetting how good he was:

D-rock, Rudyc281, vator and 1 other person like this.
  15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Not saying that at all, but if the inference by posting that video is that Chet is better than Mobley NOW then yeah I would say otherwise. It's a cool anecdotal video. What I DO see is that Chet was a better ball handler in high school vs college. Not sure what to make of it. That is my biggest hang-up with him and why I peg him as a 3&D player NOW. He will have to be able to get to the rim and use his length as a strength in other categories besides defense. Mobley made me a believer after a strong season, but he has his flaws too.

vator likes this.
  16. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I think Chet has the highest ceiling in the draft and even folks who don’t like him agree with that. But there are lots of different points of view about how risky a pick he is; most centered around his frame and weight, which just hadn’t proven a strong argument with other examples. While Jabari Smith is probably the safer pick, it’s exciting to know that the top 2 players in the draft are also really good fits with Green…and Sengun for that matter. Paolo would also compliment Green (not so much Sengun). There are serious question about the fit with Green and Ivey or Sharpe. We really need a top 3 pick or hope one of those bigs fall. I think u draft Murray over the guards if those 3 bigs are gone. We don’t need anymore developmental shooting guards or combo guards.

D-rock and Verbal Christ like this.
  17. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I am firmly in Camp Chet.

Everytime you look at Jabari and Paolo, there are legit on the court criticisms and concerns. Paolo defensively and just moving the ball quick. Jabari putting the ball on the ground and interior scoring.

Chet doesn't have those concerns.

His only legit on the court skill-like concern, to me, is aggressiveness/usage rate - can he be "the guy" and not just the guy next to "the guy". Ithink he can given his don't back down mentality.

I get he's an injury concern, he looks skinnier than a toothpick, literally, and not what one would envision as some dominant, transformational player. Whereas Wembaya (sp?) is so similar but just "looks" better so its easy to be like "this is who we want Chet to be yada yada".

But the dude's impact on the game is just undeniable.

As always with these processes, the best way to determine these types of "how will he transition to the grown man league" questions is to see him in workouts with grown men - legit workouts, not highlight reel workout stuff. The Rockets brass, if they get #1 pick, hopefully have the ability to see that. In an ideal world, they bring all 3 guys in at the same time, bring in Sengun, Wood (if still on the team), Jaygup, Jalen, etc. and let them play. I'd love to see that lol. Not going to happen obviously but a man can dream.

Anyway, Camp Chet checking in!!

deb4rockets, D-rock and Rudyc281 like this.
  18. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Jalen & Chet sounds like a 70s/80s sitcom about an odd couple...

D-rock likes this.
  19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

“literally”?

ico4498 and D-rock like this.
  20. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

like a toothpick tree before it is split into toothpicks, literally.

ico4498 likes this.