1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Colin Sexton - Future Rockets Starting PG?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, May 10, 2022.

?

Good fit for us?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. kpdark

kpdark Member

I'm good with the young guards we already have.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  2. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

weak, weak.

saleem likes this.
  3. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Jalen Brunson would make more sense for a thread discussion.

Verbal Christ, Aruba77 and Joe Joe like this.
  4. Reeko

Reeko Member

this article is literally piggybacking off a BR article where some random author wrote about where he thinks some free agents should go

I’m mad I even gave it a click…

not sure why this is worth a thread

and in any case, Sexton to the Rockets gets a

[​IMG]

xiki and Believe It! like this.
  5. Jontro

Jontro Member

you're right. i no longer want him on the team

cmlmel77 likes this.
  6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

He's the guy I wanted in a sign and trade. Tough to see happening now.

7. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I’d almost want to see it just to watch how this board reacts.

For the record, I’m a bigger Sexton fan than most, but I don’t think he’s a good fit next to Green.

8. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Quick glance at some basic numbers and while Sexton would appear to be a better scorer at the PG position, KPJ has better assist, rebound and equal 3pt% and d rating as Sexton. (per36)

Its not an improvement in my eyes. I'd rather keep giving Daishen Nix developmental time and see what he can become. If Scooter is moving it would be to the starting 3 spot not a reserve role for Collin Sexton.

9. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

10. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

If we didn't already have a promising group of guards I would be okay taking a flyer on him. He played very well in 2020-2021.

11. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

No way in hell you trade Gordon and a 1st for Sexton. Crazy talk.

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'm not a big Sexton fan, but he's much more efficient scoring than KPJ and doesn't turn the ball over as much when healthy. Though, I expect Sexton's gaudy scoring numbers will get him a contract he's not worth and would prefer not to have him. I have the same concerns with KPJ in that after this year, he's going to be either on a neutral or a bad contract.

13. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

hey look, there's a new shinny toy outthere!

14. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Correct me if I'm mistaken but the first trade has Wood going to BKN for a their 2023 pick. Since we have their 2022 and 2024 pick, wouldn't this mean they can only swap 2023 with us, which we already have? The writer couldn't have meant the via the 76ers either bc those picks are 2022 and 2027. Lazy writing.

The other two teams were Miami and Charlotte, I didn't see Portland?

15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

They equal out as players for me to a certain extent. There is a negligible difference in turnovers per game and Sexton being a slightly overall shooter. I'll exclude this injury year for Sexton and use his best year last season and he is a .475 FG guy on .371 3pt shooting that year and Scooter this season comes in at .415 and .375 on 3's with slight higher volume outside the arc. Sexton being the much better free throw shooter currently.

KPJ's size swings it in his favor for me. You nailed it though - how much would it cost to land Sexton? Rather hold on to the economy version and see if Scooter can keep progressing similarly.

16. TimDuncanDonaut

If this was two years ago, I say definitely avoid. But we're kind of in a situation of 'beggers can't always be choosers'. Looking at both sides:

Con: he's looking for a better pay day. So if he performs well... at best he plays up to his contract, not necessarily a bargain contract.

Pro: if we're not paying Wood and Wall is expiring, somebody may have to fill some of that salary floor. Sexton could be that.

Con: could argue still hold out cap riom for other free agent(s). Can Rockets get them??

Pro: he's better than KPJ both offensively and defensively. Defensively he can annoy opponents with PatBev like peskiness.

Both Sexton and Porter were on the same team not long ago, Sexton was arguably their #1, Cavs had to get rid of KPJ, after KPJ embarrassed their org. Let's not kid ourselves, there's a reason why Colin asking for near max and KPJ is making under 2mil per, one guy is much more ahead in skills. Even if you don't think he's a near max, he's at least a 20 mil guy.

Con: Sexton might be a chemistry concern. Described as not likable by some of his teammates. Kevin Love, for example, was big mad when Sexton no pass to him.

Maybe Sexton will mellow out more since he's on a new team and since he has the bag. His character issues are no where near as risky as KPJ.

Pro: would solve the PG issue with a proven commodity. No development time needed. Better passer, scorer and defender.

I still lean towards NO but KPJ ain't it. We have to keep looking.

#36 TimDuncanDonaut, May 11, 2022
    Last edited: May 11, 2022
  17. TimDuncanDonaut

Tldr: There are lot of PG who are upgrades to KPJ, so that shouldn't be the only reason. Doesn't have to be Sexton and we don't want to overpay. That said, I hope next year Rockets find that person soon. Because we don't want to be wasting time.

18. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Rockets need to stop trying to reform troubled players instead of the ones they have right in front of them.

19. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I would not pair Porter with Sexton.....again.

Porter was used as a SF without ball handling duties.

Now we can play Porter at SF with ball handling duties.

Fits with two combo guards

20. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I always liked this player. Buy the dip.