1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA Draft Lottery is May 17th! Give your top 5

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by vator, May 3, 2022.

?

Who’s the Number 1 Pick?

1. Chet

76 vote(s)
    42.7%
  2. Jabari

84 vote(s)
    47.2%
  3. Paolo

17 vote(s)
    9.6%
  4. Other

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  1. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

Somewhere Daryl Morey is warming himself up with Ivey’s chart and finishing himself off with Chet.

Seriously, though, Jabari has been my favorite fit but those percents near the basket are not good. If he can’t drive, cut and finish, he will get bodied up at the three point line. That will provide good spacing but no scoring.

vator likes this.
  2. Jontro

Jontro Member

get jvg to train him for a summer... or is cd still around? jvg ruined yao's perimeter game but made him a post up monster

3. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

Chet could easily end up being Dirk with better shot blocking. That’s a hell of a player.

Jabari has no interior game but he can put up 25 points soon in the NBA and defensively he’s excellent at 4-5 positions. Statistically, it’s practically impossible he won’t have franchise player sidekick kind of impact on the floor (at a minimum).

raining threes and steddinotayto like this.
  4. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

If Sengun becomes the player most of us thinks / hopes he will be, then Jabari is a much better pick for this team. At the very least, he gives us a legit pick and pop presence. Personally, I have concerns about anyone so tall and skinny playing the interior.

larry cook likes this.
  5. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

6. mikenm268

mikenm268 Member

I really hope we get either Jabari or Chet, every scouting video/report I see is like:

“The best verision of Jabari would fit amazing with Green and Sengun!”

“The best version of Chet would fit amazing with Green and Sengun!”

“Banchero and Green would be pretty fun to watch…on offense”

Maybe Paolo will be awesome, but I don’t love that even the best case version of him leaves the Rockets with serious questions on defensive side and displaces Sengun to be traded or a backup. (To those saying, ‘just play Banchero and Sengun together!’ even if that works on offense, which I think is questionable, it makes the problems on defense even worse)

clutchdabear likes this.
  7. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

Sengun is a back up, victor is fit to be our center

8. mikenm268

mikenm268 Member

For the Rockets specifically, I would say:

1) Jabari Smith
    2) Chet Holmgren
    3) Paolo Banchero
    4) Best Wing Available - Sharpe/Mathurin/Griffin aka whoever the Rox grade highest
    5) Ivey

For Paolo, I think the fit is bad on defense and with Sengun, but I think he’s more talented than everyone else after the two above him so you take BPA. For the ‘top wing’ I would say not Murray, as I think he will be a nice player with a high floor, but I don’t see homerun upside that the Rox should want in this pick. With Ivey…project combo guard with a push shot who isn’t as athletic as Green when we already have Green? I know I’m in the minority, but I just don’t see it.

snowconeman22 and alethios like this.
  9. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I dunno about that. When/if Sengun cleans up the fouling issue he could be a pretty amazing player. Great teammate along with being a great passer is someone guys like to play with.

10. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

ONE MORE WEEK!!!

11. alethios

alethios Member

I like Jabari at #1 specifically for his 3pt shooting and defense. Having a long wing type player who can knock down 40% of his 3s and defend multiple positions is a definite need on this team. His deficiencies are play making and scoring around the basket - those can be fixed.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

7 days.

DD

cerophilik, ico4498 and cmoak1982 like this.
  13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

[​IMG]

14. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I don't know about easily. When Dirk was 18 he dropped 52 on Barkley, Pippen, and other all stars and was averaging 28ppg in Germany they year before getting drafted.

Chet has skills but he's not dominating out there yet.

groovemachine likes this.
  15. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I’m going to Vegas tomorrow. Wonder if there is a way I can bet on which pick the Rockets will draw.

16. photojoe

photojoe Member

For me:

1A/1B: Jabari and Chet

If we are three or lower, and those two are both gone, I personally would look at trade offers. Ivey and Sharpe don't make sense to me with Green, and Paolo doesn't make sense to me with Sengun. I'm not saying that Sengun and Green are better (I think Green will be, and Sengun may not be) but I would rather look at trying to get other pieces at that point.
    If a trade offer isn't there that's good enough, I would take Paolo.

mikenm268 and groovemachine like this.
  17. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

1. Jabari
    2. Chet
    3. Paolo
    4. Ivey
    5. Sharpe

I really hope we can land one of the top two.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

20. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

He already cleaned it up when he was starting the last part of the season. It was always overblown in my opinion. If Silas can actually put a defensive system in place and start somebody over 6’ 5” at PF his defense will be fine.

cmoak1982 likes this.