1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Oakland Relocation

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Marshall Bryant, Jul 22, 2021.

1. Newlin

Newlin Member

Maybe. Locals I'm sure would prefer something other than a strip location. Are tourists going to be drawn to an A’s game while in Vegas? Might be a weird fan experience if many of the people in the stands aren’t really A’s fans.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Tropicana is on the tail end (or beginning) of the strip. Its actually much easier to navigate around there.

Hell, there’s a well attended church across the street with ample parking. Its also one of the closest hotel sites to the airport, which would make it very easy for those traveling in (or out) to see a game.

whag00 likes this.
  3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wow
    They are going straight up starship stadium

Hank McDowell likes this.
  4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

This thread is depressing. I kind of liked that the A's were stuck in a bad situation.

tinman likes this.
  5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Stros vs Vegas As on a weekend roadtrip?

Bellagio booked brah

6. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Yea I would definitely make a yearly Vegas weekend trip to watch a couple of Stros games

tinman likes this.
  7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'd like that roadtrip, but would prefer the A's just suffer having a bad stadium, and be forced to shed their best players any time they get too expensive.

Marteen and tinman like this.
  8. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

9. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

The possible Oakland move is starting to look like the plot to the movie Major League but less funny. Team owner wants to move to a shiny new location, cuts players and payroll, attendance gets ever worse than it was before. Owner can show how bad fan support is in Oakland.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

That's exactly what's happening. But ultimately local leaders are gonna have to approve a ballpark in Oakland or it won't matter much anyway.

marks0223 and Buck Turgidson like this.
  11. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

They don't HAVE to subsidize a team with taxpayer money.

12. Buck Turgidson

Spurs and the City are building a $510M training facility/complex with commercial and residential components (Rockets fans can dream). They're not moving. I don't blame them or see a problem with them playing a couple/few games in Austin...grow the fanbase and tv market.

13. Buck Turgidson

Only if they want to have a team.

It sucks, but that's the economics of professional sports in the US. States/Counties/Municipalities don't have to subsidize any corporations with taxpayer money, but they do.

14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

They don't have to...but they do have to if they want to keep the team...because someone else will.

studogg likes this.
  15. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Agreed. I live in Austin now and previously lived in SA for 4 years. There's no movement here to get an NBA team that I'm aware of, much less steal one from just down the road. It was a semi-big deal a few years ago to get their first top level professional team.... and that was freaking soccer. I don't know who would make the push to acquire the team and deal with building a hundred's of millions of dollars arena (which the city wouldn't pay for). Elon certainly doesn't give a **** about living that professional sports team owner life.

I don't know why SA is getting their panties in a wad about the Spurs playing a few games in Austin. It's the individual team version of the NFL playing in Europe, NBA playing in mexico city and MLB playing in Asia.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  16. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

Because more and more of Silicon Valley relocates to Austin with each passing year bringing their billions of dollars with them. Because the reason pro franchises continuously pass on San Antonio is they are severely lacking in the billionaire department and pro franchises crave them for luxury box sales. Because this franchise re-location rumors that used to mention San Antonio have started mentioning Austin (see Buffalo Bills last summer). Because the MLS expansion franchise chose Austin over San Antonio.

You’re right about the city of Austin’s general unwillingness to contribute money to attracting a pro sports franchise. Cities facing this problem in the past have turned to a tax on hotels, etc to transfer those costs to non-locals including (Houston did this). The Spurs may not move to Austin, but you’re going to hear the city mentioned often over the next decade whenever a pro sports franchises talks relocation. San Antonio? I think you will hear them mentioned less, if at all

17. Buck Turgidson

Sorry, Austin, it's not happening.

18. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Austin can have the Mavericks. Would be nice to have a third team in Texas...

Buck Turgidson and msn like this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

CenTex, read Austin/SA, will never get a pro football team. End Story. Done. Baseball may happen in a decade, but even that's doubtful.

20. msn

msn Member

That was my first thought!