1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you trade the #1 pick in the draft?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Le$$, May 7, 2022.

?

Would you trade the #1 pick in the draft? If the offer was to hard to pass.

1. Yes

52 vote(s)
    53.6%
  2. No

45 vote(s)
    46.4%
  1. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

just keep in mind 63% chance of ever making 1 all star game. those are the odds with the first pick... and this is a weak draft on top of that. 1/3 chance they never make an all star game. and between Cade last year and Wemby next year, this could very well be one of those years. yes I take into account age and contract status but if you give me 100% chance at an all star vs 63% chance at an all star, I'd rather take the known quantity so long as they aren't over 30 and declining (Lillard). at the very least you could probably flip them next year for a top 5 pick and get a better player than this year's #1.

2. Reeko

Reeko Member

it’s already known 100% that Lillard and especially Mitchell ain’t that guy and will be taking u nowhere…that will just be the Rockets trying to rush the process with guys that aren’t even worth it

Zion could be worth it if he could stay on the court, but he has shown zero evidence that he is able to

stars these days have the ability to dictate where they want to go to varying degrees, so it’s no longer as simple as just flipping them to Orlando for their top 5 pick…by the end of next year, Mitchell would have 2 years plus a PO that he will surely decline, so if he makes it clear he doesn’t want to be playing for some terrible or irrelevant team, they will be hesitant to just throw away a top 5 pick in a strong draft for 2 years of Donovan who is taking them nowhere

if the guy isn’t a young healthy superstar with multiple years left on his deal, I’m good

saleem likes this.
  3. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I still find it quite hypocritical that people want Wemby and in same breath say Chet will be injury prone because of his size.
    Wemby is the same skinny narrow shoulder kid as Chet but is actually bigger.
    A literal Shawn Bradley clone.

Wemby is a fantastic prospect, highly skilled. But he’s not the athlete Chet is and can see both of them being injury prone, Wemby even more so.

Jontro likes this.
  4. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Hakeem/Alf84838 hasn’t converted enough of you people. Trade the 1st pick hell yes! Get a teams 2nd rounders for the next 10 years draft a N Jokic one of those years; lay back and enjoy.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Would call him 'Wembley' like the Old Wembley Stadium.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  6. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

All I know is I read somewhere wembaya took a dump on chet when he played h2h. Hence y I'm down to trade him for what folks calls a generational type prospect. The hype for wembaya is insane.

Injury worries are always there for tall ass players but I think folks r glossing over that due 2 the Uber potential wembaya brings when compared to the likes of chet.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

If it means we get a better chance at my boy V-Dub, then yes.

everyday eddie, Jontro and red5rocket like this.
  8. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

that's like 7'2" Durant

9. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

He didn’t. That was completely not true. He did have a good game against USA but Chet had a good game and they weren’t matched up a ton.

Nook likes this.
  10. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

This guy plays like when I did create a player back on NBA live and made the guy 7’6” with all 99 skill level. I don’t who this competition is but crazy that he’s so fluid.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  11. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

I would trade this year's #1 pick for next year's #1 pick if it were possible.

Wembanyama is the best draft prospect I've seen in a very very long time, it's no wonder scouts are calling him a generational talent in the likes of Luka, KD and Giannis.

12. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

all of that could be true and yet my point remains that perennial all stars, all NBA team players, are worth more than the #1 pick in this particular draft. again just 63% of first overall picks make at least 1 all star team.

flip a coin. if it lands heads you've drafted a future all star who may or may never have multiple all star seasons or ever make an all nba team. if it lands tails, you've drafted a starter instead of trading for an all nba player.

I'm not going to say you're wrong for not taking the deal, if you're willing to risk the latter scenario. I wouldn't be willing to risk that, and that's not wrong either.

13. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

If all three are in the NBA right now, how can they all be generational players?

14. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

baby boomer - Wilt
    etc
    etc
    hah

15. Reeko

Reeko Member

trading the #1 overall pick for the likes of Mitchell is wrong…it’s a typical NY Knicks type of move

red5rocket likes this.
  16. Nook

Nook Member

Well … if Toronto decides they really want Chet or Jabari and offer up Scottie Barnes for the number one pick, I would do that trade.

17. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

Surprised no one has said for Anthony Edwards. AE is a legit superstar at 20 and seems to have the leadership skills required to win.

18. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Probably not realistic, but what about #1 for #4 and SGA?

19. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I was one of the very few who wanted Barnes at #2 last year , over Green & Mobley ..... and I wouldn't do that deal.

I'd take Chet and not look back.

Not many players impact the game the way Chet does on both ends.

Hard Pass.

xtruroyaltyx likes this.
  20. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

Westbrook, Lebron, Eric Gordon, Jalen Green, Damian Lillard