1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My Quick Reference on FA's

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by oeilpere, Jul 6, 2001.

1. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

No way

------------------
    "For there is nothing either good or bad, thinking makes it so."
    - William Shakespeare (1564-1616), Hamlet

2. oeilpere

oeilpere Member

Thanks Chuck will pas it on to Liz. She's in Kansas this week.

Couple of things:

1. I have no doubt that Nazr would start a couple games, but he could easily live with playing behind Dream. He would get his minutes. I read that Seattle article and it sounds self servimng and maybe he really thinks he can be the man. But realistically Nazr needs lots of broadening ... offensively and defensively ... if he wants starters minutes.

2. Name of the game. get them at as cheap a price as you can. MoTay will sign for that kinda money so why pay more? Mooch will sign for his money. No need to pay him more. A player tries to get a couple of thing accomplished when signing a contract. It is not always money. MoTay will have a couple more contradcts in his career. So will Mooch. But both of these guys need some career stability. Houston offers that at a reasonable price. They'll bite. Both of them.

3. Agree with you on the Admiral. But the thing that makes it interesting is .... there is that possibility. I personally think he is too soft for our game defensively, but makes up for it by being able to run all night long with the gazelles. that would be fun. he also is an unselfish center and sits or plays depending on the matches the coaches want. He does not b****. I could live with a little bit of that on our team sometimes. Especially at the Five Spot.

4. Lastly, Dream did something to me this year. He made me feel as if I had just introduced him to my baby sister, and then caught him trying to feel her up, when my back was turned. He disappointed me. Big time. Go figure.

------------------

3. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

OP,

Concerning your depth chart, how do you figure that Francis will get limited minutes at shooting guard?

If the Rockets plan on signing Moochie for 3 plus million dollars a season, I imagine they must envision him as more than an 8-12 minute per game player, since that's all the time he would get if Francis played point guard 90% of the time IMO. Will Moochie's role be reduced next year, and are they paying him that much because he's a great insurance policy in case Francis gets injured?

Does this mean Rudy backs away from his small ball philosiphy?

Lastly, who do you see starting at small forward come opening day? I pray everyday that it won't be Walt [​IMG]

------------------
    I am Rainman

[This message has been edited by tacoma park legend (edited July 06, 2001).]

4. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

OP,

Was your take on Sabonis a personal opinion, or do you have anything to make you believe the Rockets are interested? I would love to pick him up for a cheap salary, for reasons stated above. However, I'm just not sure that the Rockets would go for someone that old, even if it was in a limited role. Was that part your personal opinion, or has that option been discussed?

------------------
    Draftsource.net-- the premier source for draft info. Profiles, rankings, mock drafts, and more!

The Mo Taylor Fan Site

5. Thanos

Thanos Member

This question is just begging to be asked...

why Webber is suspiciously absent from your list of free agent options oeilpere?

He really isn;t no longer an option for us?

------------------
    Just ship Cato's ass outta town. Plain and simple.

[This message has been edited by Thanos (edited July 06, 2001).]

6. rocketteen

rocketteen Member

First off, Oeilpere, u are the greatest. These are trying times for all of us and we really appreciate your help. After the huge high we got from the draft, we are now at a very depressing low until the 18th rolls around. My anxiety level has gone through the roof during this moratorium and the 18th couldn't come sooner for me. So, thanks again for the info.

From your info, it's so hard to see which way the Rockets are going. We have several options for the Center spot, but I guess the Rockets primary target is Hakeem. Hakeem would make it much easier for everyone if he were to just walk away. If u could tell us, what do the Rockets think about this deal w/ Hakeem? What I mean is do they wish he would just retire? Do they also think that the reason he is staying in the league is b/c he wants to get as much $$$ as he can during his farewell tour? If Hakeem and agent are playing hardball, is the option of sign and trading him a real possibility?

Could u tell me if there is any real interest in these 3 players:

Fred Hoiberg - He could be our backup SG. He knows his role and is a legitimate outside threat and rarely turns the ball over.

Etan Thomas - there were rumors that Rudy would have taken him at 15 last year, but when Dallas beat us to him, we took Collier instead. Do u know if there is still interest in him and would they be willing to trade K. Thomas for him straight up? Etan should be had easily due to him coming off a toe injury and not playing one game last year.

Jerome Williams - east coast guy and I think he is good friends w/ steve and Cat. Is he a possibility for the 4.5 exception?

About Eddie Griffin, there has been talk that he may still be growing. If u know, could u tell us what his exact height is now and if his growth plate still has room?

2nd last thing. Supposedly, the Rockets tried to move up last year to get Dermarr Johnson since the draft was like only 8 players deep and he was drafted 8th I believe. He's listed as a SG, but at 6'9, he is SF size. With the addition of Griffin and Morris, and w/ Langhi and Walt already here, wouldn't he be stepping into an already crowded SF spot?

Last thing. I think the possibility of getting Nazr Mohammed is very intriguing. He may be listed at 6'10, but he would only be an inch smaller than Cato. Does he have short arms that make him not such a shot blocking threat? Also, IS HE LAZY? Clutch City is pissed about Cato and his lazy a**. Does Nazr posess similar traits to Cato that if we sign him to a nice deal in his contract year, will he spit it back at us by doing nothing but miss half the games and make dumba** predictions like leading the league in rebounding?

I know this is kinda long, but I would really appreciate your help in setting my mind at ease.

------------------

7. Kingrene

Kingrene Member

I have always thought that there were two sides to Hakeem.

His private side is one of a very smart, very focused businessman who will take as much money out of this experience as possible, and will not subjecate himself for the good of the franchise.

His public side, which he manipulates to his advantage at every turn, is the product of spin and marketing that is brilliant, imo.

I am not saying he is a bad person- he has just played the PR and money game very intelligently. I wish I were as savvy as Hakeem and his handlers.

This is the reason I don't think the Rockets should bend over to resign Hakeem. The organization should be dictating the terms of the negotiation, not the other way around.

Remember the questionable injury before his last contract was signed? Remember the request to be traded last year? The Rockets paid him 14 million last year, and this year the slate of loyalty should be wiped clean.

Of course, I don't know the man, so I could be wrong..... [​IMG]

------------------

8. Rockets 2001

Rockets 2001 Member

Oiley...makin me feel good over here!!!
    Mooch definitely comin back?? OUTSTANDING!!

My biggest wish for the offseason granted.(and the miracle on draft-night too)

Sabonis?? cheap?? YES!! Most definitely.
    Go for it CD!!

would i bring back JYD? You betcha! I like Mario ALOT and would love to see him in the pinstripes again..

don't know enough about Nazr to say one way or the other..I'll have to take yalls word on it.

Once again OP I thank you for you insights.
    You just made my day!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

------------------
    This space for rent

9. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

I know this is kind of off topic, but I've seen quite a few people mention the Rockets using a 4.5 million dollar exception on a free agent. If I remember right RealGM says that the Rockets do not have a 4.5 million exception, but only the 1 million dollar exception. Can anyone clear this one up for me?

------------------

10. TexasG

TexasG Member

[This message has been edited by TexasG (edited July 06, 2001).]

11. TexasG

TexasG Member

------------------
    http://www.rapmusic.com/texasg/NewMavsLogo1.jpg

12. T-POOH

T-POOH Member

You can say that again, TexasG.

------------------
    RIP HOOP-T

13. Kingrene

Kingrene Member

..was changed to

I know you did not direct your question to me, but I don't think accusing oeilpere of manufacturing a rumor is a very civilized way to start a discussion.

lol, normally when you edit your post because of a complaint, you are supposed to make the new post less offensive.

Do you have a third edit ready? [​IMG]

------------------

[This message has been edited by Kingrene (edited July 06, 2001).]

14. Band Geek Mobster

Yeah he just makes up trade ideas for kicks...

in case you weren't around, oeilpere was one of the first people to say look out for the NJ pick after the lottery. He called the trade up to 7 before anyone else, I seriously doubt he makes up trade ideas G.

BTW you might want to change your sig as the image is no longer at that address...

------------------
    This post contains no smilies, you must judge my seriousness on your own...

Have no fear kiddies, the name's changed, but the Mobster is still the same...

15. Rockets 2001

Rockets 2001 Member

Most of the regs that have been here for a while dang near swear by oily's inside tips...Accusing him of manufacturing this stuff definitely is most class-less of you texasg

------------------
    This space for rent

16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

$3m for Moochie is steep. Why not $15m for 7yrs boy!! like Maloney? He's probably going to call my bluff on that though. We need Moochie equal to Mo', imo.

Now, I'm definitely bluffing my way through paying Mo' more than the middle class exception, dammit. That is soooo vital to helping us get a Center to cover Mo's ass. In fact, that's exactly how I would say it..."Mo' we want you bad, but we want to give you a center, too. We can land Dream, but he wants sooo much money. You understand. We'll get you that big raise on 2yrs and a new center to boot....how about it partner. You know you don't ever want to play center again for us."

Now with Dream...no way I'm going to bluff him. I actually believe renouncing him without his express permission will have unpredictable repurcussions. Talk about tip-toeing through the summer.

To me the key is getting Dream to sign a 1 yr...no options, no nothing, because options cannot be for less pay. If Dream would agree to a one yr, I'd give him a blank check, and then tell Mo', sorry man, he made us do it. Can you PLEASE accept $4.5m from us.

pleeeease

pretty pleeeease

It would take a lot for Mo' to call my bluff.

That said, I'm not walking away from this summer without Mo' or Webber.

17. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Biggest problem with Shandon/Cato for DJ/Nazr is salaries. DJ is about a 2 mill player, and Nazr likely wouldn't make more than 4 mill. Cato is a 6 mill player, and Shandon is likely a 4 mill player. The Hawks would have to throw in Chris Crawford, who would hang on our cap for a few more years.

So Malt Williams (CBFC) is more than likely gone? Sounds like a party.

Last comment, is that "#3" from the pre-draft thread still applicable?

------------------
    "I always thought Hakeem was the better offensive player and DRob the better defender." Spurever

Shaq would probably agree.

18. Tranmerica34

Tranmerica34 Member

I've said it once and I'll say it again for good measure as a response to your post as you seem to be the only one who believes Eddie Robinson would be a PERFECT fit for the Rockets.

He runs the break better than ANYONE at the 3 position and that includes Vince. He's 6'9", has 3 point range, a sweet stroke, I don't have to tell you how he attacks the rim AND he can guard Kobe.

Imagine a starting lineup of:

Stevee Franchise
    Cat Mobley
    Eddie Robinson
    E Griffin
    Hakeem

Would there be a quicker AND faster starting 5 in the NBA (Hakeem included)?!?!?!

The Rockets destroyed the East last year because of speed and quickness (I wonder if that's why Larry Brown drafted Speedy Claxton to team up with the Answer?). They beat the upper echelon teams in the west with speed and quickness.

They're not going to outmuscle Shaq, but collectively they could get to more rebounds and loose balls with aggregate speed and quickness.

They would be in the top 4 in terms of speed, quickness and athleticism at all the skill positions (1,2,3) with Eddie Robinson. They'd also be one of the most versatile (Stevee and Cat are interchangible at the guard spots and Eddie can play 2 as well as 3 and can even slip over to 4 with a super quick lineup).

Also, you'd have a perimeter defender and someone who could attack the rim at the 3 spot. When's the last time Houston had someone who could effectively defend the perimeter, attack the hoop, run the break viciously and make the open jump shot? Buck Johnson? NO, I don't think so. I am so sick of the athletic, no job shot havin' 3s in the league eating our lunch on a nightly basis. I'd also like to see a 3 man break where our 3 can FINISH (shandon, i love ya, but you don't play above the rim).

If Eddie Robinson is a Rocket, name a quicker trio in the NBA today? Milwakee comes to mind as a possibility, but no chance.

If i couldn't have Webber- My reasonable wish list:

Sign Eddie Robinson
    Sign Marc Jackson
    Re-Sign Bullard, Moochie, Langhi, Hakeem
    Let Mo Taylor walk
    Let Shandon Anderson walk
    Sign Gary Trent for the veteran's exception

That's a solid nucleus to build upon.

Would love to hear any other reasonable options that are better.

------------------
    Houston should sign Eddie Robinson.

Name a quicker trio than Stevee, Cat, and Eddie Robinson?

19. Tranmerica34

Tranmerica34 Member

I've said it once and I'll say it again for good measure as a response to your post, Oielpere, as you seem to be the only one who believes Eddie Robinson would be a PERFECT fit for the Rockets.

He runs the break better than ANYONE at the 3 position and that includes Vince. He's 6'9", has 3 point range, a sweet stroke, I don't have to tell you how he attacks the rim AND he can guard Kobe.

Imagine a starting lineup of:

Stevee Franchise
    Cat Mobley
    Eddie Robinson
    E Griffin
    Hakeem

Would there be a quicker AND faster starting 5 in the NBA (Hakeem included)?!?!?!

The Rockets destroyed the East last year because of speed and quickness (I wonder if that's why Larry Brown drafted Speedy Claxton to team up with the Answer?). They beat the upper echelon teams in the west with speed and quickness.

They're not going to outmuscle Shaq, but collectively they could get to more rebounds and loose balls with aggregate speed and quickness.

They would be in the top 4 in terms of speed, quickness and athleticism at all the skill positions (1,2,3) with Eddie Robinson. They'd also be one of the most versatile (Stevee and Cat are interchangible at the guard spots and Eddie can play 2 as well as 3 and can even slip over to 4 with a super quick lineup).

Also, you'd have a perimeter defender and someone who could attack the rim at the 3 spot. When's the last time Houston had someone who could effectively defend the perimeter, attack the hoop, run the break viciously and make the open jump shot? Buck Johnson? NO, I don't think so. I am so sick of the athletic, no job shot havin' 3s in the league eating our lunch on a nightly basis. I'd also like to see a 3 man break where our 3 can FINISH (shandon, i love ya, but you don't play above the rim).

If Eddie Robinson is a Rocket, name a quicker trio in the NBA today? Milwakee comes to mind as a possibility, but no chance.

If i couldn't have Webber- My reasonable wish list:

Sign Eddie Robinson
    Sign Marc Jackson
    Re-Sign Bullard, Moochie, Langhi, Hakeem
    Let Mo Taylor walk
    Let Shandon Anderson walk
    Sign Gary Trent for the veteran's exception

That's a solid nucleus to build upon.

Would love to hear any other reasonable options that are better.

------------------
    Houston should sign Eddie Robinson.

Name a quicker trio than Stevee, Cat, and Eddie Robinson?

20. TexasG

TexasG Member

It seems some of you are having fun with what I posted in regards to the Hawks trade but some of you seem to have misunderstood. I was simply wondering where he "found" that trade rumor. Post a link or quote someone, anything. Like I said in my post he seems to be very knowledgable with most of the things he says, that's why I responded with that. That trade makes no sense at all. If it's something he's just throwing out there then say that. Just because you think it up doesn't mean it's a rumor. If you didn't think it up, and it is an actual rumor then I personally would like to know where it came from because it would be one of the most lopsided trades of the year.

------------------
    http://www.rapmusic.com/texasg/NewMavsLogo1.jpg

[This message has been edited by TexasG (edited July 06, 2001).]