1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 Trade Targets

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by HTown2017Champs, May 8, 2022.

1. HTown2017Champs

Just like last year's thread. There's still a lot of baseball left to be played until the deadline, and we still won't know who will be buyers or sellers, but what moves would you like to see made? Discuss.

2. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

When Jake Meyers comes back and IF he struggles, perhaps a CF (Mullins or Reynolds, although looks like he's struggling. Any others you can think of?) Maybe a RF if no CF. Move Tucker to CF although I'm guessing Baker is against that so Click and Baker will need discuss prior to a trade.

If Gurriel is still slumping, 1b. Josh Bell seems interesting. Jesus Aguilar?

Get rid of Goodrum, minors or trade as a throw in. Diaz can be backup SS and 2B. Gurriel can be backup 1B and 3B. Did Gurriel play 3B at all last year?

I also want 1 more legit veteran starter. You can argue if McCullers comes back, he can be the guy but even if he comes back, still want one. I was maybe thinking Bumgarner but maybe not with his age and contract

#2 punkoholic, May 8, 2022
    Last edited: May 8, 2022
  3. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

why so confident that Jake will struggle?

4. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Sorry meant if he struggles

Tomstro likes this.
  5. raining threes

I want a catcher that can bat over.200.

Also gotta look at adding 1 more bat be it in CF or at 1B.

htownrox1, Htown Legend and Fulgore like this.
  6. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

An outfield bat would be nice

Snake Diggit and raining threes like this.
  7. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

Send the farm for Soto.

8. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

As much as I dislike Soto's antics at the plate, I would give up EVERYTHING to get him. He has as much talent as anyone in the game -- including Trout, Tatis, Acuna, Wander.

9. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Farm alone won't get it done.

If I am the Nats GM I want Pena, Luis Garcia, Hunter Brown, JJ Matijevic, Misael Tamarez, and Forest Whitley

10. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

If Juan Soto is at all available Houston should do everything they possibly can to get him.

Otherwise I think Josh Bell or Bryan Reynolds are fits, although Bell only works if Yuli keeps struggling. If Boston sells then Enrique “Kike’” Hernandez is a fit. Old friends Ramon Laureano (as a CF) or Tony Kemp (as a 13th position player) might be fits.

Unless something major (injury/performance) changes, it is hard to see them doing anything to the pitching staff.

11. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

He's 20 I hear

12. rhino17

rhino17 Member

A utility guy better than Goodrum. He gives you nothing.

A backup catcher who can hit .150.

raining threes likes this.
  13. HTown2017Champs

For catcher, I'll suggest Tucker Barnhart. He's on an expiring contract and can probably be had for one 20-30 prospect, and is a 2x Gold Glove winner, and a career 250 hitter. Not much home run pop but he gets a lot of doubles and walks a fair share.

14. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Josh Bell is the most obvious one right now. Even if Yuli recovers I would like to go after him, but particularly if he doesn't. He would potentially be an improvement over Yuli against RHP and an improvement over Brantley against LHP (although not an ideal platoon option given he is similarly better against RHP). It would provide offensive safeguards at 3 hitting positions that I think we really need. He's also at an age where he would be a feasible extension candidate and the cost to acquire him should be very reasonable.

While 1B and CF seem to be the target positions, one thing I really hope we do is get somebody who will take Brantley's AB's against LHP. I love Uncle Mike, but he has been abysmal against lefties for some time now, and we more or less seem to keep treating him as a full time player when he should be platooning. Any player who hits lefties really well would be a nice option.

As of right now the pitching options look amazing, bordering on excessive. But given how important pitching is, it's always something to be monitored and potentially addressed if things change. If a lethal arm is available you should always be interested.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  15. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

If we identify a need, first check the options. Do we have a prospect being seasoned? It's preferable to High Dollar Free Agents that aren't significantly better options. So who do we have at C, 1B and CF?

Catcher - AAA Corey Lee, Michael Paperski. are nearly ready. Diaz is still a couple of years away.

1B/CF - Honestly, the move long term I like the best is Alvarez to 1B and the better of Leon or Meyers to CF and McCormick to LF.Perhaps the platoon with Brantley there as long as Brantleys still hitting righties.

But these are the in house options which should be considered before going for Trades and Free Agents. They need to be better than what we have.

#15 Marshall Bryant, May 9, 2022
    Last edited: May 9, 2022
  16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Copying my post from the other thread. Here is the list of projected sellers and their players who might be traded:

Reds: IF Mike Moustakas*, OF Tommy Pham, IF/OF Nick Senzel, OF Jake Fraley, SP Luis Castillo*, SP Tyler Mahle, SP Mike Minor, RP Lucas Sims

Orioles: CF Cedric Mullins*, OF Anthony Santander, OF Austin Hays, 1B/OF Trey Mancini

Nationals: IF Cesar Hernandez, 1B Josh Bell*, OF Juan Soto*, CF Victor Robles, DH Nelson Cruz, SP Patrick Corbin, SP Stephen Strasburg, RP Steve Cishek, RP Sean Doolittle

Tigers: C Tucker Barnhart*, 2B Jonathan Schoop, OF Robbie Grossman, SP Michael Pineda, RP Joe Jimenez, RP Willy Peralta, RP Michael Fulmer, RP Andrew Chafin

Royals: OF Andrew Benintendi, IF/OF Whit Merrifield, SP Zack Greinke, SP Brad Keller, RP Scott Barlow*, RP Amir Garrett

Rangers: OF/DH Willie Calhoun, SP Martin Perez, P Matt Moore

Athletics: 2B/OF Tony Kemp*, SS Elvis Andrus, OF/IF Chad Pinder, CF Ramon Laureano*, IF Jed Lowrie, SP Frankie Montas*

Cubs: C Willson Contreras*, OF Ian Happ, UT Jonathan Villar, SP Marcus Stroman, SP Kyle Hendricks, SP Wade Miley, SP Drew Smyly, RP Mychal Givens, RP David Robertson, RP Daniel Norris, RP Chris Martin

Pirates: CF Bryan Reynolds*, 1B/DH Dan Vogelbach*, SP Jose Quintana, P Chris Stratton, RP David Bednar

I’ve asterisked the guys I think would improve Houston’s roster right now.

Ranked by position of “need” for Houston:

OF: Soto, Reynolds, Laureano

1B: Bell

C: Barnhart, Contreras

13th position player (Goodrum upgrade): Moustakas, Kemp, Hernandez, Pinder, Vogelbach, Andrus, Villar

SP: Castillo, Montas, Mahle

RP: Bednar, Barlow, Doolittle, Sims

#16 Snake Diggit, May 9, 2022
    Last edited: May 9, 2022
    studogg likes this.
  17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

C and 1B don't look like 1-year only problems. I'd be looking for guys with some control. A couple of guys that stand out on the division's fodder are the following:
    Sean Murphy
    Nathaniel Lowe

For Murphy, I think the starting point would be Lee, H. Brown, and Santos eyeballing it.

Not sure about cost for Lowe. I'd probably try Matijevic and some lottery tickets. I'd guess Matijevic is going to be close in value to Lowe. There is some risk there that Matijevic is better, but I think Astros would benefit getting the known quantity that likely is the better short term value.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  18. Screaming Fist

I think 1B could be much easier to upgrade than CF. there is arguably a 2-3 win CF on the roster right now but he's treaded by the skipper like a 4th OF. I doubt they get rid of Goodrum until they can find a replacement. Just not enough depth to make that kind of move.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  19. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

I have a feeling they’ll wait to see if/how Meyers looks upon his return before making an upgrade at CF. Chas has been serviceable. I’d like a little more pop there ( a healthy Meyers likely will provide that).

Catcher needs to be upgraded. Maldy and Castro are pretty much black holes at this point. Yes- Maldy has gunned down several runners but at some point, somethings gotta give. I think Luis Garcia is a better hitter than Maldonado at this point. Yes, Luis Garcia.

Nico has been completely overmatched. Especially batting LH.

I think Oakland is a good match for a trade. On paper at least. Murphy is going to cost a pretty penny due to team control left and his contract.

I wouldn’t be opposed to a Laureano/Kemp package which would immediately upgrade our CF and bench if you DFA’d Goodrum and sent down Siri. Laureano has an absolute cannon in CF but doesn’t take the best routes on balls to the gaps. He definitely has some pop and speed and plays super hard.

Wilson Contreras will be a FA at the end of the season. He’d look great in the 7/8 hole here and get plenty of RBI opportunities. I’m sure there will be many teams calling about him as we get closer to the deadline. But he will be a rental and should be had for a reasonable price.

I would absolutely love Soto, Reynolds, Mullins or any of those types of guys- I just don’t think we have the prospect capital to pull it off.

20. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Aside from taking on Corbin or Strasburg, it is quite hard to put together a realistic package for Houston acquire Soto. You’d have to start the prospect package with Brown and Leon but that would only be a start. If (big if) the Nats really like Javier or Garcia and if (bigger if) Houston was willing to reduce their major league rotation options, adding Garcia or Javier to Leon and Brown might get them in range (although the Nats would very likely require another good prospect). Something like Javier, Brown, Leon, Whitley, and Barber might get there. But more possible would be a package like that but with Corbin coming back along with Soto. I am probably wishcasting but I just think adding an elite level hitter like Soto to this lineup would make a meaningful impact to their odds of winning the World Series. And it seems to be the type of huge move that the Astros tend to try to make.

Htown Legend likes this.