1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jazz in dysfunction

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by DaBeard, Feb 26, 2020.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I actually think it would be crazy for the Jazz to try to run the same clearly not good enough core back after trying for so many years.. especially with Ainge as new Gm.

The trade demands be are probably kind of face saving in the very likely event one or both are traded, though i don't doubt Mitchell was never going to stay in Utah long term anyway

ElPigto likes this.
  2. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Unfortunately, that's how much the game had changed. I feel like just about any other center with Gobert's size and skill set in the course of NBA would also struggle.

Centers aren't really taught or ever expected to switch alot, especially onto to perimeter wings. I feel like Yao, Mutombo, Ewing, Shaq, and many others would struggle in this area. I think Dwight adjusted ok, but even he could be taken out of different situations.

They were rarely, if ever expected to do this often, but because so many teams use the pick n roll or have efficient (volume) 3 point shooting offenses. Your center has to be able to switch, guard the perimeter, and keep teams honest in the post.

For Gobert, the funny thing is, compared to most centers, historically, he's actually one of the better ones in these areas of defense. Am I saying he's better than these players? Not at all, but in the way the game is played in the modern NBA. He's probably a slightly defense player in these scenarios.

Sean Dr34ms likes this.
  3. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

Time for the Jazz to blow it up. Try to replace one giant Frenchman with another. Gobert would be great on the Mavs. They're already a great defense and he could make them elite on that end for like 30 Mins a game. Easily swap him out and play small when the match up demands. With his contract, Mavs probably just need to send like a couple picks and cap relief.

Send Conley to the Lakers or something for Russ then cut him. Trade Mitchell or have him fake an injury. Blow it all up.

4. Reeko

Reeko Member

Gobert making demands…this is too funny

Jazz GM after Gobert opens his mouth

[​IMG]

5. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Now he is dealing with Danny Ainge as well. Ainge is as greedy as they come.

6. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

Max contract, offensively challenged, 3x DPOY needs other good defenders around him to not be a defensive liability.

7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

would you trade Sengun or Wood for Gobert? I'm just asking! It's a question.

8. dmoneybangbang

Maybe Charlotte will trade for Gobert, they can have a Gordon Hayward reunion

9. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

42120846-2543-4587-AFF0-3527CC5A3A3B.jpeg

10. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I can see a small percentage chance that ownership makes the worst decision and tries to scapegoat Snyder and run back the same core, although that seems less likely now that Gobert is talking openly. Fans have been blaming Snyder for playoff performances until this year, now for the first time Mitchell is taking some scrutiny for poor defense and losing a step. Maybe it's time to blow it up. After taking so much flak for the Rockets current rebuild, that would amuse me greatly.

11. napalm06

If we were a WCF team who needed that piece, sure. Any other scenario? No. Gobert is too expensive for what he provides. The Jazz have always overpaid him and have reaped the rewards of trying to build a roster around his deficiencies mixed with his cap hit.

DreamShook likes this.
  12. napalm06

One of his major problems is he gives you nothing on offense. He has a Dwight-esque offensive game.

Nook, roslolian and plutoblue11 like this.
  13. Jontro

Jontro Member

always sad to see the spazz struggle. they're such a great professional team, especially all throughout the 90s-00s

BHannes2BHonest, BigShasta and B-Bob like this.
  14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

How can a guy "lose a step" when he's only 25 years old? A lot of players don't start their prime until 26 or 27.

15. Reeko

Reeko Member

16. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Nope as a big you’d better be able to either guard the perimeter on switches or be able to create your own offense. Gobert does neither.

17. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Stop it. Ain't no way

You musta been hittin that Henny this week.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

Nook likes this.
  19. i3artow i3aller

20. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

For some reason Donovan Mitchell, 2nd Banana, sounds more dangerous for the NBA than Donovan Mitchell, 1st Banana.

Rocket River likes this.