1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Politico] Supreme Court has voted to overturn abortion rights, draft opinion shows

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by DonnyMost, May 2, 2022.

1. Reeko

Reeko Member

here we have the leading Republican candidate for Governor of Wisconsin…

With the Supreme Court appearing poised to overturn Roe v. Wade, Rebecca Kleefisch has doubled down on her radical views that would restrict access to abortion care. When asked this week if she supports exceptions for rape and incest, Kleefisch confirmed that she does not.

In the interview, Kleefisch also said that she “prayed” for the overturning of Roe v. Wade and that she thinks the pre-Civil War law banning abortion “stays on the books.” But that’s not all. Her spokesperson
    confirmed that Kleefisch doesn’t think the Wisconsin’s archaic abortion ban goes far enough: she wants to ban abortion under any circumstance – apparently including cases when the life of the mother is in danger.

As Lieutenant Governor, Kleefisch worked to
    reduce abortion services and threatened doctors with jail time and agreed that pregnant rape victims should “turn lemons into lemonade.”

Republicans running for governor are on the extreme ends of the anti-choice movement. This is despite the fact that
    61% of Wisconsinites believe abortion should be legal in all or most cases. Rebecca Kleefisch and her primary opponents are wildly out of step with the will of Wisconsin voters.

2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Pretty much this. We don't know if it will be enough, but it's not going to have 0 effect or be negligible or irrelevant, that's not going to happen. Maybe it changes a few house races in close districts or a senate race and the dems still lose house and senate overall...but it's going to affect the midterms one way or another and since we know there likely will be close races it really depends on how close some of these races might be. I mean the only election we've had post this news was a state rep flipping a historically red state district blue.

I also think that the GOP is overplaying their hand here, some of these states have really radical bills. If they stuck to 20 week bans or even 15 week bans then this is nothing, a non-story...but we see states have 6 week bans, no exceptions, charging women as murderers... that is only going to amplify abortion as an issue.

No Worries likes this.
  3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I guess folks can try it. The common prolife position is that it is a life regardless if of how it was conceived. A rape exception sounds like your punishing a child for the sins of the father. I'm pro-choice and I don't even buy this argument. But some people are more emotive in deciding their politics and they might be so repulsed by the idea of bearing a rapist's child that they'd sooner murder a baby. I have never talked to a prolifer who had such a position but there may be some out there. But it very much strikes me as a gotcha to appeal to the pro-choice base.

I think a better approach would be to take the small govt argument and that people shouldn't be forced to get vaccines or wear masks or have babies, no matter the social benefit; they should be trusted to make the best decision for themselves. I don't believe that, but seems like a more promising approach.

4. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

it's funny how everyone in DC knows which clerk leaked the opinion but journos won't report on it

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  5. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

even most pro-lifers are in favor of allowing abortion in the case of rape. 77% of americans are in favor of allowing abortion in the first trimester when its due to rape or incest. that 77% certainly includes lots of people who identify as pro-life.
    [​IMG]
    https://news.gallup.com/poll/235469/trimesters-key-abortion-views.aspx

not at all. its a simple premise that a woman should not be forced to give birth to her rapists baby.

thats because its a strawman argument.

i dont know who youre talking to, but most people i know who identify as pro-life would also agree that a woman should not be forced to carry her rapists baby and the statistics bear that out.

its actually a gotcha to right-wing politicians and the pro-life base.

i disagree.

6. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

That bottom section with only 45% support? That is nearly all abortions.

AroundTheWorld and Bandwagoner like this.
  7. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It doesn't make sense to leak this just a few weeks before the decision. There's no logic in it for a liberal as this coming out seems to only harden the conservatives stances and provides no real benefit to Democrats.

On the other hand, if conservatives were going to issue a less harsh verdict than what seems coming, it might be politically smart to leak this so the actual decision is met with a sigh of relief and more accepted....whereas without the leak it would have been far more controversial.

Still, doesn't seem like there is any compelling reason.

Maybe someone leaked it for money.

9. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I think it absolutely makes political sense to leak the information and get the ball rolling on voicing supreme opposition.

10. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I believe the worst part about the abortion argument is the lack of dialogue on how to reduce abortions, regardless of ones belief.

No Worries, Kim and Sweet Lou 4 2 like this.
  11. Roscoe Arbuckle

My two cents:

I've always felt abortion was a necessary evil. But libs went too far in wanting abortions allowed up until actual childbirth when we all know folks that were born premature. Hell, I was 9 days early.

Libs poked the bear like they always do, and it came to bite them back.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

You're talking about the one case where the child was missing its brain? It was not going to live anyway.

No Worries likes this.
  13. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

No, that was actually you, brah.

14. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There are almost zero liberals advocating that unless the Mother's life and health are in danger.

It's already the law that it isn't allowed. Can you point to any cases of people legislating to change the laws to allow elective late term abortions? Any?

No Worries likes this.
  15. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The excuse of having always been an a-hole doesn't make it okay to be an a-hole. It only makes you a bigger a-hole.

It isn't an excuse for the behavior and doesn't somehow, make you calling others out carry any more weight.

No Worries likes this.
  16. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I'm not any more an a-hole than you. No Worries hadn't positioned himself as one so far.

17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I knew you wouldn't resist hitting that meatball. Only took you 30 minutes too!

18. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Handmaid woman speaks...

How disturbing is that? She always reminded me of the mom in the movie Carrie. Now she wants to put out the assembly line of babies for adoption from women forced to carry them to bring more "domestic" babies to pick from. That's twisted.

No Worries and FranchiseBlade like this.
  19. CCorn

CCorn Member

If they outlaw in vitro I will get loud. There’s no guarantee I’ll be able to have kids when I’m done with my cancer treatment, and most adoption agencies discriminate against cancer survivors.

I had some swimmers frozen before I started to be safe… I’m afraid governor hot wheels will join in on the stupid legislation.

20. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

If the states are going to be forcing women to carry these fetuses to full term to have a greater supply of infants for adoption, the least the state could do is pay a large sum of money for forcing them to do this.

No Worries likes this.