1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Would you trade the #1 pick in the draft?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Le$$, May 7, 2022.

?

Would you trade the #1 pick in the draft? If the offer was to hard to pass.

1. Yes

52 vote(s)
    53.6%
  2. No

45 vote(s)
    46.4%
  1. clos4life

clos4life Member

Only if we're contending right away, otherwise he might pull a Harden right as we reach our contending peak.

2. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Depends on the circumstances, if they could trade back and still get their guy at 3 or 4, of course you would take assets from a team wanting to move up.

3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

This draft is thinner than last year. I don’t think the return from trading the number 1 pick is likely to yield a young all star who can fit with our team.

I would consider moving it for a potentially high unprotected 1st in 2023 if all the major players do very poorly in the workouts and interviews. That's unlikely to happen. Someone good is likely to be available for the Rockets, even if they fall to the 5th spot.

groovemachine likes this.
  4. bmelo

bmelo Member

Id do it for Zion

lionaire and Jontro like this.
  5. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Maybe.

If we get 1 and OKC 4 can we pick up the 12th to move down?

Then package 12 and 17 for 7 or 8?

So essentially 1 and 17 for 4 and 8

peleincubus and kjayp like this.
  6. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

My heart is set on Jabari if we get the #1 pick. Prototypical Rocket.

mikenm268, groovemachine and Jontro like this.
  7. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Well, if the other team recognizes you're willing to move down, they probably realize there's a good chance you're not picking their guy anyway so why would they then use resources to trade up one spot?

The team with the second pick will almost certainly not look to move up. The team with third pick might want to move up. In this draft, after the third pick the value drops off significantly. I can maybe see a #1 for #3, but that's it.

groovemachine likes this.
  8. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would certainly trade the #1 pick for a nice haul....moving down a spot or two...as long we were assured of getting Jabari or Banchero.

groovemachine and kjayp like this.
  9. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Trade it to OKC for both of their lottery picks.

groovemachine and Jontro like this.
  10. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

i might be willing to trade back a spot or two - for the right incentive...
    i'm not 100% sold on anybody so if i can stay in the top few pix - and pocket an asset... i'd consider it...

saleem, groovemachine and Plowman like this.
  11. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

The only scenario I'm interested in is trading down to 3 (or somewhere the front office thinks a future star is available) if OKC gets it and getting our 2024 pick back from them.

HOU gets:
    2022 3rd pick (OKC)
    2024 1st rd pick (HOU)

OKC gets:
    2022 1st pick (OKC)

subtomic likes this.
  12. kpdark

kpdark Member

Would be crazy if we get #1 pick and Stone converts these:

(#1 + Sengun + Garuba + #17 + ??..)

to these:

(Banchero + Murray + Duren + Eason)

13. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Last time a team traded the #1 it worked out very well. The 76's paid a future first and Jason Tatum for Markelle Fultz. On top of that, unlike this year, Fultz was the consensus # 1.

14. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I might do it for another Golden Ticket in the Victor Wembanyama sweepstakes. Would kinda suck to still miss out though since its far from a guarantee you would even get the 1st pick next year.

15. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Not trading Sengun for any of those players

16. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

We getting Cade or Mobley? Sure.

17. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

I understand why most wouldn't.

but even #1 overall picks have only 63% chance of becoming an all star even once in their career. so trading it for a perennial all star is pretty good value, especially in a weak draft.

the problem becomes that player is already on a huge contract instead of the cost control of a rookie deal, making it harder to build around that player and jalen. and also you'd have to consider the timeline, if there is a big age difference between them you'd be looking at a fairly short window.

I'd say its probably not worth it for someone on the decline like lillard. its a tough call for Mitchell. I'd probably do it for Zion. I think at the end of the day, those guys are better than the guys we're choosing from this year. if it was the #1 or #2 pick next year, I don't think anyone short of Giannis or jokic is really worth it.

#37 smoothie, May 8, 2022
    Last edited: May 8, 2022
  18. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

If I was offered wembaya, I can see myself trading the eventual #1 pick.

Assuming we got the #1 pick, drafted chet or jabrai Smith, see their potential after a year. The potential greatness of wembaya is so great I can see myself trading either of them for him.

Folks clown on rokman (i did 2) for suggesting trading green for a top 4 pick and i may sound like a hypocrite but I think wembaya is worth the risk.

19. Reeko

Reeko Member

Mitchell is a 6’1 chucker who plays no D, he’s not even a top 15 player…I don’t see why it’s a tough call for him

trading a #1 overall pick for someone like Lillard or Mitchell immediately puts u on the clock to start winning, and the Rockets are simply nowhere near ready nor are those guys good enough to take the Rockets anywhere…it’s a NY Knicks type move

Zion is far too injury prone for my liking…he’s entering his 4th season and has played just 85 games…when he’s on the court he’s a beast, but he spends more time clapping on the bench or eating gumbo than he does actually hooping, so I’ll pass

best case scenario he ends up like Embiid and can at least play 50-60 games a year in the future, but Zion just looks like a major knee injury waiting to happen with the way he plays combined with being 300 lbs

#39 Reeko, May 8, 2022
    Last edited: May 8, 2022
    harold bingo, cmoak1982 and saleem like this.
  20. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I think Stone should select the player with the most mental strength out of Chet, Jabari and Paolo. I wouldn't mind if Ivey is selected at number 1 either, but he’s at 4 on my list.

The pick should be retained, unless some team is desperate for a trade. That's the only way to acquire a better player for the future. Otherwise, the return will be neutral at best.

There's no consensus number 1 player in this draft. Jabari likes to play within his comfort zone, Chet needs to get physically stronger otherwise he won't reach his potential, Paolo needs to play consistently on defense. Who will step up to the plate?

cmoak1982 likes this.