1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Embiid and the Sixers taking on Brunson and the Knicks -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Politico] Supreme Court has voted to overturn abortion rights, draft opinion shows

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by DonnyMost, May 2, 2022.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

While the leak goes against decorum and tradition of the USSC it doesn't appear to be a crime. I've yet to see any particular statute that would rule out leaking a draft opinion of a justice.

SamFisher and FranchiseBlade like this.
  2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The leak? It is a public court.

The public has a right to know what they are doing, they supposedly work for us.

DD

3. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Correct. The Supreme Court's unassailable secrecy isn't codified in law anywhere.

As usual conservatives want you to focus on things that are malum prohibidum like a breach of protocol and seeing a draft opinion early rather than malum in se like attempting to murder the vice president and overthrow the government

5. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Dumbest view in the entire thread. Its like arguing the public should get to hear jury deliberations before a verdict has been rendered.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Dumb gotcha bullshit. Yawn.

7. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

In your imaginary scenario, is the rapist the custodial parent? Is the non-custodial parent suing the custodial parent for child support? Do they have a custody agreement? I presume this means the rapist is not in prison, is he a convicted rapist? Was a report made?
    Malum prohibidum means something is bad because it is forbidden by law. In this case, it would seem the leak is not forbidden by law, instead it is traditionally understood that leaking draft opinions is bad because it interferes with the operation of the court and could theoretically be used to pressure the justices or even endanger them. Thus, it would be bad because of potential negative outcomes, or bad in and of itself, which is malum in se. You have used the terms but completely inverted them in your analysis.

Pistol Pete and AroundTheWorld like this.
  8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

His post made zero sense.

I wasn't sure if it was just due to him not being good at logical thinking in general or possibly due to some alcohol or substance abuse problem.

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are stupider than that."
    - George Carlin

10. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Yet I am the one people question vis-a-vis being a lawyer. :D

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  11. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

So the first company to poll the before after is CNN's affiliate, i'm not a fan of their polling (they will get elections fantastically wrong), but they're at least consistent, so the like to like comparison has value, even if the total numbers are usually skewed by a heavy democratic oversample.

So here we go

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2022/05/06/politics/cnn-poll-abortion-midterms-roe-v-wade/index.html

[​IMG]

Of note : Republicans increased their generic ballot lead and almost every single republican they polled was happy, whilst less than half of democrats cared, and the indies seemed to care least of all, though i wished they'd worded the question unhappy rather than angry.

This doesn't really surprise me though, abortion has always been an issue that exists within the basket of things that matter to their vote more for the right than the left, lukewarm opinions obviously don't matter (I'm definitely one of those, it's not a topic that would ever change my vote), and i tend to think long term, it will make a better rallying cry for the republicans to run "to prevent a federal abortion law", even though i'd expect such a law, if created would be struck down by the supreme court on jurisdictional grounds as well, creating another wave of protests.

12. Reeko

Reeko Member

Democrats still don’t have an answer for crime and the economy which will be bigger factors than abortion

ElPigto likes this.
  13. SamFisher

Idk man, I'm neither a sociopath MAGA state legislator nor hardcore pro "life" libertarian so i can't really speak to the swampy logic of future anti-abortion legislation.

Rest assured, it will be ****ing terrible, like bounty hunter bills and many times worse.
    maybe - my thought is there's probably some computer fraud abuse act provision that could hypothetically be stretched to cover this case, or some term of an employment agreement or employee manual or whatever.

Could be there's literally nothing - im which case i say let the ****ing drafts flow. Publish them all.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  14. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Well you are wise not to trust them since it's phone polling.

One thing you won't see in any of these polls is how motivated young voters are.

Basically, any election cycle where youth turnout is even slightly high, Democrats win or hugely benefit from the turnout. They are always the wildcard because most of the time they don't vote but my guess is this is going to give them a reason to vote.

One of the reasons people are predicting a red wave is because young voters when polled don't seem to be too enthused.

Young voters the past two cycles were motivated by the monstrosity that was Trump and if the DNC plays their cards right.

You're also forgetting that many of these states are ready to pass completely radical bills that criminalize abortion and basically ban it completely. It would be one thing if these states had like 20 week abotion bans ready to go with common sense exceptions but no, If the ruling is soon and indeed overturning Roe and these laws go live there 100% will be horror stories and each one will be a bullet in the chamber.

Nook likes this.
  15. SamFisher

Republicans answer for COVID-19 was inject bleach and horse dewormer, and honestly it barely hurt them at all.

Like literally if you think the right course of action here in response to overturning Roe is build more prisons and - price controls (?) - im slightly skeptical on both political and policy grounds!

16. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Well I mean, they disapprove of Biden at an unusually high level and mid terms is usually boomertown, this isn't something that is going to drive them

No I'm not forgetting, I just don't think the law in Tennessee or Mississippi will have any real traction for voters who don't care that much about it right now, they can't even manufacture consent out of indies and republicans from the ukraine nonsense, and that was with constant events and an obliteration of the airwaves.

17. Reeko

Reeko Member

Barely hurt them? Maybe with the cult. How about with Independents and everyone else?

18. Reeko

Reeko Member

19. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

This is hopeful thinking based on little so I counter that it will absolutely drive them. Why wouldn't this drive them? Fear of trump drove them in both 2018 and 2020...and Biden was never popular with young voters, even in 2020, and they still turned out more than usual despite them not liking him at all because they didn't like the alternative.

This is a great reminder to them of what the alternative is.

I think the actions and the stance of the GOP tell the story here. They aren't leaning into it, in fact, they are running away from it. Not even Trump is taking credit for it even though this is all on him because he knows it could hurt the GOP. Mitch knows it could hurt the GOP and there is no better politician left or right than Mitch McConnell.

It makes no sense to run away from something if all it could do is boost your base enthusiasm even a little bit. If the argument is that it will have no effect then why wouldn't the GOP be chest thumping and high fiving? Where are the swing state GOP politicians happy of this?

Ukraine isn't even a good comparison because it's not national, it's not local, it, right now, has no chance of affecting the everyday american. Abortion bans, especially these harsh ones, can affect every american and the moment a woman is charged for murder will be a George Floyd moment for the country. Right now, and before, the idea of getting rid of abortion was just that, an idea. But when names and people and stories are put to it? There will be no more running from it then.

20. SamFisher

Howtl about them. They should move to North Carolina or Maine so that they actually matter. They certainly didn't in 2020 in those places

Regardless i want to give you a fair hearing - what's your theory of price controls and/or tougher drug laws to electoral victory for the democrats?