1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Kevin Porter Jr. a PLUS defender??

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JayZ750, May 5, 2022.

?

Is Kevin Porter Jr. a PLUS defender??

1. Yes

19 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. No

25 vote(s)
    43.9%
  3. Not now, but he definitely will be

13 vote(s)
    22.8%
  1. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

I wasn't trying to say anything. There was a comment about one on one stats. I simply posted actual numbers.

Significance? I guess it means that Green was #1 and Wood was #4. Hard to argue with since those are real numbers.

The original comment and my reply were both about one on one defense. Why are you trying to pretend that anyone is saying anything other than that?

Verbal Christ and D-rock like this.
  2. D-rock

D-rock Member

Like you said 1 v 1 iso defense does not mean overall defense.

Because neither Green nor Wood are anywhere near the best defenders on this team. Even a team that is as garbage defensively as a whole and individually.

To better gauge overall defense - DWS (defensive win shares), DBPM (defensive box plus minus), DRTG (defensive rating).

D-RAPTOR, D-LEBRON, DRAYMOND also useful.

3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

The Rockets have a lot of PSGs ( Point Shooting Guards). But only one of them is a true PG. Daishen Nix.

4. mikenm268

mikenm268 Member

Please don't take this corner again...

No one is saying KPJ is the worst person in the world, but normalizing some of his worst behavior is silly and intellectually dishonest.

clutchdabear likes this.
  5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I am taking no corner nor normalizing anything, I don't know what you are talking about.

My point is that if we just get rid of everybody who does this we would be out of half the NBA and JG has done the same thing but nobody talks about that.

Yes some people are saying KPJ is the worst, nothing I have said on the subject is intellectually dishonest, I just don't see it as a big deal, and they are isolated incidents.

If you want to freak out about this go ahead, I am not because I judge a player in their entirety not because they do random things I don't like.

6. mikenm268

mikenm268 Member

Um, this corner...
    KPJ refusing to play defense, walking off the court, quitting on his team, leaving the arena, etc...
    'isn't a big deal'
    'happens all the time'
    'everyone does it'
    'even the greats do it'

And that's all from a single post, not even your greatest hits...

7. mikenm268

mikenm268 Member

There's 'not getting back on defense' and then there's 'getting into your car at half time to drive miles away from playing defense'

People are concerned about the latter, not the former. Equating the two and then saying therefore it 'happens all the time', is silly in my opinion.

#47 mikenm268, May 6, 2022
    Last edited: May 6, 2022
  8. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

You do realize that neither my post or the post that I replied to were talking about overall defense, right?

Why did you feel it was necessary to interject things totally unconnected to the post? The exchange was regarding one on one defense.

I'm not exactly sure who you're even arguing with. Did I ever say that any player was good or bad on overall defense in this thread?

9. Nook

Nook Member

He has decent size, a 6’9” wingspan and solid athleticism. His mental aptitude seems mediocre though. He has the ability to be a good defender but I don’t trust his effort will be consistently there.

GotGame15, D-rock and mikenm268 like this.
  10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

https://archive.ph/2Fz7z#selection-17023.0-17093.439

11. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Absolutely not. He could be if the effort was there, but a plus defender doesn’t lag behind and sulk when something doesn’t go his way.