1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carlos Correa to the Twins - 3 Years, $105 Million

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by TheresTheDagger, Mar 19, 2022.

1. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Carlos shouldve opted out at that second. Did they give Los an error?

2. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

No, Carlos didn't get an error on that play. He had one earlier in the game when he coverd a lot of ground to field a ball up the middle and then spun and airmailed the throw over the 1st baseman.

3. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Yep. With Dusty's propensity to rest guys and the brittle nature of Bregman and Altuve and Gurriel being old, if we had a really dynamic bat that could play all around the infield I'd honestly expect them to get 500 AB's. Easily. And it would make the team so much better. Basically just add up all of Goodrum and Diaz AB's and those could have all been quality AB's going to Pena if Correa came back on a 1 year deal.
    Goodrum and Diaz have 96 PA's already, Pena has 90. The 5th INF role, for the right guy on this team, would be a full time role. Correa staying (for a year) didn't have to come at the expense of Pena. In fact, jettisoning Goodrum and Diaz would have saved 6.5 million dollars. That would have made Carlos salary net out to $29,000,000.00 for this one year. We would have still had enough to go tinkering for bullpen help at the deadline if we needed to. I know this is water under the bridge for most- but as it's the Carlos Correa thread I think it's appropriate to talk about here.

4. PippenAintEZ2

PippenAintEZ2 Member

It's not like Gary Sanchez would've caught it anyway. ;)

5. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

i think this is all based on an unlikely assumption. If Correa stayed on a one year deal the Astros would have sent Pena to AAA. They wouldn't burn his service time to be a bench bat especially after missing almost the entire season last year. Plus, they would still need Pena the following year to be the guy when Correa would hit free agency again.

Also, the decision to tender Diaz was December 1st... WAY before Correa knew he was going to have to take a short term deal. So you would have needed a trade partner to move Diaz.

#805 Redfish81, May 5, 2022
    Last edited: May 5, 2022
    jiggyfly likes this.
  6. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

You could move Diaz at any time in the off-season- the contract isn’t bad at all
    Would they have sent Peña down? Maybe. But I’d have hoped he’d be the guy pulled up when Altuve got hurt. Your conceptualizing it wrong- he wouldn’t have to be a “bench bat” he could easily get 500 PA filling in. Like Zobrist used to do.

7. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I do not believe they would have traded Diaz anyway. He's the primary backup 1B which is a position Pena has never played. Also, the CBA incentivized the Astros to let Pena start the season as the SS because they get draft picks if he gets votes for rookie of the year and other awards. A bench bat or a super utility or whatever isn't getting that.

I think a late season call up would have been likely, but not right out of spring training.

8. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Sure. We are just poking up conjecture here. You are probably right as to how it would have gone down in a world we brought back Correa. I reject the notion he would have had the slightest trouble playing first base (ask Brad Pitt).
    I also reject the notion that a Ben Zonrist type is anything other than a starter. When you get 500 PA in a year you are a starter. Even if it’s spread amongst a bunch of different positions.

9. RocketsDraftTV

Heard about his injury, this is why he should have never turned his back on htown

Rashmon and Squirtle like this.
  10. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I hope he is ok. Dont need no bad karma 'round here.

rockbox and Marteen like this.
  11. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

12. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I was watching the game tonight.

Carlos had 2 bad plate appearances in a row. Buxton hit a bomb. Next pitch the guy hits Correa and it skips off his hand and hits his shoulder/collar bone area.

Next time up a pitch is chasing him up and in. He kinda turns into it and swings. The ball hits his hand/fingers on the bat and goes into fair territory. He's out because he swung

13. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

14. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

For the H!!!! **** Correa.

15. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

Kind of like Correa gave the Astros fan base.

16. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Won't be seeing Correa next week in Minnesota. He was starting to heat up so from an Astros prospective I ain't mad. Already got our asses kicked by Springer this year.

17. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Yuli far more likely to play utility role in that scenario considering his experience at all positions...

jiggyfly and Wulaw Horn like this.
  18. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Correa was not signing a one year deal here. He wanted long-term for the Astros. The Astros would never have accepted a bunch of opt-outs. $35 million for Correa? NOPE.

jiggyfly likes this.
  19. conquistador#11

Awful for Correa. Hope it's not more than 30 games.
    Buxton has found some pop, another guy you wish could stay healthy for 130 games at least.

20. Big Tex 13

Big Tex 13 Member

Kinda like Crane gave the Astros fan base.

CrushCity and everyday eddie like this.