1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Prime Series] Outer Range

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Apr 6, 2022.

1. droxford

droxford Member

More soap opera crap. Lesbian native-american sheriff faces prejudice from the community and also faces stress from the upcoming sheriff election...blah blah blah... that's not why we watch the show, people. We don't care. More "mysterious pit" and "disappearing mountain" please.

Yung-T likes this.
  2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

It is interesting because I was wondering if the "Lesbian Native American" becoming a Trope
    I think Ozark had one as well

Rocket River

Yung-T likes this.
  3. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Enjoying it (caught up) but man it is strange and no idea where it is going.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

This series is so weird

Bear Chasing you to the truck . . .you reach in and grab a gun to shoot. . . .rather than get in and close the door
    and get a better shot?

Rocket River

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

End of Episode 7 - Saw that coming a mile away

Rocket River

6. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Strange, compelling series. Can’t wait for season 2.

7. PhiSlammaJamma

Overall: Love the actors, Love the cinematography, and loved the pacing of the drama at the rodeo. They hit on all cylinders. I'm ok with the confusion and apparent lack of rules. And I don't mind the religious overtones ( Matrix hid this best, and hiding it underneath the surface usually helps ), but the show is struggling to connect it's direction to it's audience. It's like a court room trial that doesn't connect enough dots as they examine the witness. We need a little more direction.

Rebecca: What is she hiding from? She didn't show up until two things happened, Her husband jumped in, the hole closed up, and I reckon when things seemed to get better (Rhett wins the rodeo and the buffalo roam). So she is likely hiding from Royal ( because she was pregnant, or from her husband, who might find out whatever it is she has done and with who.) Not sure. But Royal is a good bet for the person she is hiding from.

Amy: Well, that is settled. Now we just got figure out why running into her mom sets her whole world off the rails. It still feels like she wants to fix everything, to create her version of heaven, but can't, and that might be pissing her off. Unclear.

In the end: Still think is a story of redemption ( reincarnation ) by getting another opportunity to correct your wrongs from one life to the next. But it's getting awful dark for that now. So not sure it will turn around. But it feels like Royal is going to keep getting a chance to do the right thing, and he's going to keep dicking it up with sins. Still think Amy is an Angel trying to fix everything, but her constantly going off the rails makes that hard for me to reconcile.

8. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

My wife is super in to this show and has been reading about it all along. A few snippets she told me:

the show has Greek tragedy undertones. Billy singing aligns with where there would be singing in whatever tragedy they’re following.

The logo at the gate of the ranch changed by episode 6. (Timeline change?)

Autumns meds are for bipolar disorder and (I think) schizophrenia.

Wife thinks Autumn told Amy on the phone to go look for her mom, which is why she wandered off at the end of episode 8.

The geologist that Royal visits was in his future scene at the hole site

Something big I just noticed:
    Future Autumn, from when Royal gets pushed into the hole and ends up in the future, has her necklace. But in the present, Royal destroyed it. So future Autumn is past Autumn who still has the necklace.

Autumn in the present timeline is the current, somewhat older Autumn. That means her mother was hiding in the past with the yellow-jumpsuit cult, and future Autumn is older than her present self somewhere and gets older, and is the Autumn was see at some point before she arrives at the ranch in the present.

In other words, at the start of the show, there are three Amy/Autumns in the present timeline: Little girl present timeline Amy, Autumn who shows up at the ranch, and hiding Autumn/Amy, who is a little younger than ranch Autumn, somewhere with a cult.

[​IMG]

Edit: My wife pointed out that the necklace might be different. . I went back and re-watched the end of episode 2 and couldn't get a clear look at the necklace. The picture above doesn't happen in the show; it must be a publicity shot. Also, all of the cult members had necklaces, so they may just have the black dust in necklaces since they're mining it in the future.

One other item from the quick rewatch: Rhett is at the ranch, when he said he was leaving at the end of S1.

I’ll post more as she mentions or my own theories as I digest it.[/spoiler]

#48 Xerobull, May 7, 2022
    Last edited: May 7, 2022
    FrontRunner and RunninRaven like this.
  9. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I really enjoyed it. Watched the finale last night

Xerobull likes this.
  10. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

It was good. Enjoyed it. Didn’t connect everything…

Xerobull likes this.
  11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I dunno
    Feeling like I might have waste 8 hours

Rocket River

donkeypunch likes this.
  12. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

How is it possible to hate every character in a show?

Rocket River and Xerobull like this.
  13. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So about the necklace:
    When Autumn and Royal are having their showdown at the town and then along the road, she tells him he can't win. The way she says it makes me think she knows the future that Royal saw in the hole (pictured in your post). So she assumes she beats Royal and he dies...or she somehow KNOWS she beats Royal and he dies in his wife's arms -- as his wife tells him in future hole. But then Royal says that he thinks he may be able to change that (paraphrasing) and ultimately he beats Autumn, though she doesn't die. But her being wrong about the outcome of that fight coupled with the necklace thing makes me wonder if Royal HAS changed the timeline somehow. Or maybe Perry did when he jumped in the hole? I don't know, it is so confusing.

Overall I really enjoyed this first season, though I was hoping for a little more resolution than we got. But it was definitely entertaining. Josh Brolin was incredible and the actress that played his wife was really good too. Actually, now that I mention her:
    Any theories on what she was doing with the baby bear? Why did she make its teeth bite her hand? That was very confusing to me.
    Also, the disappearance of the mountain...was that just that portion of the world changing to some distant future/past when that mountain wasn't there? My initial reaction that someone made that happen, and the material in the necklace somehow granted that power. But now we've learned the material in the necklace and the ground at the ranch is just like liquid time and can open up portals/views into the future/past. I just can't figure out how the mountain disappearing fits into that.

Xerobull likes this.
  14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Since
    Since we know that Amy (Perry's Daughter) is Amanda
    Then should should know what happens.
    She may not have accounted for her coming back would affect things
    or She wins some kind of way later.

Rocket River

15. PhiSlammaJamma

So far think.

1. Dead Animals named after people. Some named after Tillers.
    2. Dead animals collected by Tillers.
    3. Big Bear loses baby bear
    4. Baby bear killed and is left as a warning with Grandmother (Means it was killed with purpose and likely related to grandmother )
    5. The Grandmother coddles baby bear.
    6. The big bear talks to Amy, asks Amy to recruit the hunting Tiller
    7. The big bear attacks Amy's Grandmother
    8. The big bear shot dead by Grandmother
    9. Big Bear ends up on Wall... with Baby Bear... and Birds

So. Yeah. No idea. But you can now substitute names into the animal equation and solve for Y.

16. PhiSlammaJamma

Thought about this bear thing just now. Wild guess.

So Grandmother is freaking out about losing Amy ( Fact )
    Thinks Amy is will die ( Fact )
    Like. Totally freaking out. ( Fact )
    So she knows this is bad.
    Why so certain?
    Good chance Amy is also the little bear and shows up dead.
    Grandmother knows outcome.
    And in the bear/barn scene, she doesn't want to show Royal that Amy the little bear is dead for some reason.

Now. What that could mean.

The Grandmother has already done some bad shiot. And she knows there will be consequences. Her faith is only a crutch for the bad shiot she's done.

So...

A) She pushed Rebecca into the hole. Knows that Rebecca is coming back for Amy. And now they are going to lose another part of the family.
    B) She told Royal to put Rebecca into the hole. And he did. And they both know they got problems now.
    C) She caught Royal and Rebecca having an affair. And threw Rebecca into the hole herself in a fight about it.

Now. Royal knows that Amy will not die. He met Autumn. So the baby bear likely is not a forgone dead baby bear. Thus the conclusion as it was. Royal is developing a plan to keep certain death for his entire family off the table.

#56 PhiSlammaJamma, May 9, 2022
    Last edited: May 9, 2022
  17. PhiSlammaJamma

Here is another wild wild thought.

Noticed almost everyone is looking in mirrors in the show. Think about it.
    Almost everyone is lit really dark and really light at times.
    Everyone seems to have two totally different personalities.
    Amy's father admitted as much. As does Royal.

So... I am really thinking this is the theme of the show.

And so my wild wild theory is that the Tillersons are the Abbotts. And the entire feud is an allegory for the fight one has with themself between doing the right and wrong things for themselves and their family.

[​IMG]

#57 PhiSlammaJamma, May 9, 2022
    Last edited: May 9, 2022
  18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

We don't know Royal's original name does we?

Rocket River

19. PhiSlammaJamma

I don't think so. Not sure. But now I want to know, lol. You made me think about the two kids possibly both coming out of the hole at the same time. And that to me has symbolism now. Or just simply, your dark side coming into contact/conflict with the good.

20. PhiSlammaJamma

Not sure how many people know this. I did not. But...I went looking into disappearing mountains to try and figure that part of this out.

What I learned is that...

Native Americans apparently believe strongly in portals to the immortal gods. Weird. but ok. Many tribes have stories about the portals. And they consider black mountains to be sacred access points. And there are several black mountains around the world where people, cattle, and horses have gone missing without a clue. Including an infamous indigenous black mountain in WEST Australia where several people disappeared in the late1800's. Just like Royal.

So all of that may connect the native american angle a little... which I could not understand.

#60 PhiSlammaJamma, May 16, 2022
    Last edited: May 16, 2022
    Rocket River and Xerobull like this.