1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Question for anyone who might have frequented Numbers (the club) in the late 80's

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TraJ, Aug 4, 2008.

1. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Crazy good festival in Pasadena, California next weekend...

https://cruelworldfest.com/

AUTOMATIC
    BAUHAUS
    BERLIN
    BLACK MARBLE
    BLAQK AUDIO
    BLONDIE
    CHRISTIAN DEATH
    COLD CAVE
    DEVO
    DRAB MAJESTY
    ECHO & THE BUNNYMEN
    ENGLISH BEAT
    JAY ASTON'S GENE LOVES JEZEBEL
    LONDON AFTER MIDNIGHT
    MISSING PERSONS
    MORRISSEY
    PUBLIC IMAGE LTD.
    SEXTILE
    SOFT KILL
    TR/ST
    THE CHURCH
    THE DAMNED
    THE KVB
    THE METEORS
    THE PSYCHEDELIC FURS
    VIOLENT FEMMES
    45 GRAVE

Hopefully they ramp up Morrissey with some Red Bull to get him through the performance.

2. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Wow.

GIGO likes this.
  3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

going to be an interesting middle aged group at that show lol

FranchiseBlade and boomboom like this.
  4. droxford

droxford Member

The performers will be old and way past their prime....
    ...but at least they won't be auto-tuned.

clos4life, boomboom and Xerobull like this.
  5. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

The performers might not be auto-tuned but everyone will be “synthesized.”

FranchiseBlade and boomboom like this.
  6. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

No VIP tickets? Pshh....

7. droxford

droxford Member

There's no school like the old school

8. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

thats a pretty impressive lineup! what year is it again???

9. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

IN THE ****ING 1980s!!!!!!!!!!?????????????????????????????

10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Boomer thread.

clos4life likes this.
  11. Buck Turgidson

Not sure about Echo, but I wanna see the Bunnymen

I wish all the old video links in this thread still worked.

CCity Zero likes this.
  12. Roscoe Arbuckle

Awesome! I was just thinking about old school songs I danced with girls.

13. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

this song was always guaranteed to get the goth chicks dancing on a friday night.

Rashmon, boomboom and Roscoe Arbuckle like this.
  14. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I will be there. My wife and I got VIP tickets for our anniversary. I don't expect Morrissey to show up. He is probably near the bottom of the artists I'm excited about seeing as well, so that's okay. I was sad to see that Captain Sensible won't be able to make it with the Damned. The guy from Queens of the Stone Age will be feeling in for him.

gifford1967, DFWRocket and boomboom like this.
  15. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Feedback and pics would be awesome!

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

When I saw the name of the thread, asking about frequenting Numbers, the question I thought was going to be asked was

[​IMG]

I always thought of Numbers as a place full of slutty 12 year old goth girls. The last time I was there, which admittedly was a LONG time ago, my GF at the time flat out went into "Why did her mother let her leave the house dressed like that" mode. It was kind of adorable given that she was NEVER like that.

17. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Cool deal. They won't be too exceptional pics but I'll try. Definitely will give feedback.

boomboom likes this.
  18. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Short version - Great festival. P. I. L, Devo and Bauhaus were the best of all of the shows. Honorable mention to Automatic, The Damned, Violent Femmes, and English Beat. Morrissey did show up.

More detailed version - Opening the gates five minutes before the first band takes the stage. means that I missed the KVB which I really wanted to see. Out of all of the 'new' bands Automatic were my favorite. They were one of the top 6 shows all day. The main bummer was that they were on so early many attendees hadn't even entered the area. They deserved a larger crowd. #Automatic.

English Beat put on a good show. They were obviously veterans that knew how to entertain a crowd.

Christian Death seemed like if a network television episode decided they wanted to have a goth band and scene. It was a characterture.

Missing Persons was mixed. Sound wasn't that great for their show. All of the band other than the singer seemed like they were going through the motions to collect the check.

The Damned were really good. Sadly their sound was messed up in the audience and they couldn't hear themselves at all. They were obviously feeling bad. Despite that, they were really good and did a fantastic version of Eloise.

Violent Femmes were solid and a fun show.

The Church lacked energy and seemed to have tempo problems on Reptile. With the set lists required to be short, having a 6 minute musical number was an odd selection to close their show.

P. I. L. - I had no expectations because no way to know with John Lydon. They blew it out of the park. They put on a a great show. The whole band was solid. The guitar player looked like Fagin from Oliver Twist. Their set selection had some of the hits but heavy selection of deeper cuts which I liked. I feel like John Lydon enjoyed the attention of a festival size crowd and played up to it in a good way.

Devo - They were incredible. They were a step above almost all of the other bands. They had obviously put time into preparing for their show. They had video pieces to help highlight the whole De-Evolution philosophy, they had costume changes and were incredibly tight musically as a band. If you are only familiar with their records, their live shows are much more 'rocking' and energy-filled than you imagine. People near us started slam dancing. It showed that they worked hard on their set and got the most out of their time.

Bauhaus - Might be the best. They also had obviously put in the time rehearsing, coming up with a show idea to make the most of their time on stage. Peter Murphy still has an amazingly powerful voice. And stage presence coming out of his ass. You have to in order to match around with a sceptor and deliver much of the show from the back drum riser but still command total attention and respect. Their band was the tightest of all of them. Near the end, he did trip over a mic stand, but still finished the show. David Jay came back on after the last song to announce that isn't how you fall but how you land and get back up. It was an amazing show.

Morrissey- He did show up, which I wasn't sure about. He played some Smith Songs which were nice. His show was okay. I enjoyed some of the seemingly random lyric changes he made. I think he was happy to have a supportive audience. But his show wasn't special and he and his band hadn't put in the prep-work of some of the others.

Sadly, because of scheduling I couldn't see Blondie or the Psych Furs

Buck Turgidson, Rashmon and GIGO like this.
  19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

OMG - that would be amazing.

Really would love to see so many of them - especially the P-furs.

DD

20. Buck Turgidson

That is so, so cool. Especially Devo, but Bauhaus too....what's a better actual Bauhaus song?

FranchiseBlade likes this.