1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Politico] Supreme Court has voted to overturn abortion rights, draft opinion shows

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by DonnyMost, May 2, 2022.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

At this point I highly doubt the actual ruling will be much different than the leaked draft. Also given that there are several states with automatic trigger laws to ban abortion this will be a big issue that plays in Democrats favor.

I think this will greatly strengthen Democrats hand and might be enough to tip things to hold Congress

jiggyfly, joshuaao and FranchiseBlade like this.
  2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Thanks - always nice to get a firsthand account of history from the Medicare set.

3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

you mad bro?

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Old enough to be your daddy.

5. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

Kinda his point. Although now, I grant you it’s a more diverse group, including full-hard uncle Thomas and the Coney Island Barrier leading the charge. Alito is a robot and the Kavster, well…

Nook and FranchiseBlade like this.
  6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

But it’s true
    Lots of nba side chicks going have to make a run to the border

7. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If men could get pregnant from rape or from cheating on their partners this would not be happening. Make no mistake about that.

Nook, superfob, mikol13 and 4 others like this.
  8. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

The left and the right have a lot to learn from this. The truth as with most things is a compromise somewhere in the middle.

the left tbough has been more hypocritical as their hypocrisy with respect to “pro women” has been more specific

many of the posters here who are male had no problem dictating female behavior and conduct

9. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I just don't see it happening. In a few months, it will be a non-story and add to that it doesn't directly affect citizens where they feel it daily yet. Things that affect us all regardless such as food prices, housing prices, fuel prices, supply chain issues, etc. will be harped on and more people will be able to relate. I could totally be wrong, I hope I am but again I just don't see it.

10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am skeptical that this will be the lightening rod issue that moves dems to the polls.

Democrats have a lot of things working against them. They don't have the amount of political media push that the right has to push narratives. The money is on the right and they are spending it smartly. Secondly, abortion restrictions have been slowly been taking away for a while now and that hasn't resulted in a big shift at the polls, so it seems that this isn't the issue that will motivate a broad based of people to the polls who aren't already showing up. The people passionate about this already come to the polls. The economy is going to be a dominating issue, in particular, inflation. Biden is in the tank from an approval rating standpoint, and that typically coupled with a midterm election spells a massive shift towards the other party.

I would be shocked if this issue changes things much. I would be shocked if the GOP doesn't control both houses of congress this fall.

11. HTM

HTM Member

I think the notion that this will produce a better democratic result at the polls in November is misplaced.

12. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Next up: Obergefell.

13. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Incremental moves reducing access to abortion is one thing an outright ban is another.

Certainly there is a lot still working agains the Democrats but I think this will breathe a lot of new life into Democratic campaigns. Especially if we see Republicans talking about and introducing nationwide bans. I think on the Senate level this will help quite a bit given that there won’t be the gerrymandering advantage there.

jiggyfly likes this.
  14. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I will add a lot depends on when bans go into effect. Given that several states have trigger laws will mean that come Fall we will see abortion outlawed in those states. This will also mean by election time we will already likely be seeing stories about women and abortion providers prosecuted which will make it a big issue.

If the elections end up largely as base elections this will be an issue that can get the Democratic base out to the polls.

jiggyfly likes this.
  15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

It's going to be very interesting how this affects elections in purple states that lean slightly pro choice over the next 4 years.

Arizona, North Carolina, the Midwest, Florida, Georgia, and even Texas could see significant bumps in liberal turnout.

jiggyfly likes this.
  16. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

17. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

This makes no sense. There is another human being involved, it's not just "my body". And when it comes to the vaccines, this tweet would only remotely make sense if the vaccines actually provided sterile immunity, which they don't.

18. Xopher

Xopher Member
    Supporting Member

At least Donald Trump never pandered. I mean that guy always stood on his principles.

Hosting pro-choice dinners/fundraisers

Stating he dislikes abortion, is fully behind choice.

Thinks about running for President in 2011 and says he is totally against abortion and will appoint pro-life judges.

That fella is a model of consistency.

19. Agent94

Agent94 Member

I guess our experiences differ. In my decade plus working in academia, none of my colleagues were pompous hypocrites. ;)

20. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

No it isn't trust me