1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Politico] Supreme Court has voted to overturn abortion rights, draft opinion shows

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by DonnyMost, May 2, 2022.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

fair enough. I agree all politicians pander, it's in their job description. The overall point however I won't concede, there are actually some politicians who have bedrock principles they won't compromise on, and it makes them stronger as "statesmen" (or whatever cliche and non-sexist term you'd like to insert there). I simply don't think Biden is in that category.

Don't misinterpret that though. Jimmy Carter was a politician with a ton of integrity, and he was a lousy president. Biden has been a better president, but it's very difficult to say whether he has any fixed principles or not. Reagan had fixed principles; Obama had fixed principles. Clinton, not so much, but Clinton was also a good president despite that character trait.

Anyway, I've had my fun, I'll let you off the hook. If the Boston/Milwaukee game was any better I'd be spending the night in that thread rather than tormenting you in this thread. Hope you don't take any of this the wrong way, I am sort of just trying to have some fun with you. I'm laughing with you, not at you. ;)

2. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Blair White is kinda hot.

Nook likes this.
  3. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm unoffended Effendi.

Sweet Lou 4 2 likes this.
  4. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

Oh, I see. So you were just being disingenuous when you proclaimed that this thread was fifteen deep with men's opinions. Gotcha.

superfob and Andre0087 like this.
  5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just skimming the last couple of pages. Not surprised Biden at one point voted for an anti abortion law at one point. He’s said he’s morally struggled with the issue.

Also he’s been on both sides of several issues and does pander.

Nook and Andre0087 like this.
  6. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That’s not pegging.

Andre0087 likes this.
  7. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

One other fallout of this ruling will be a strong effort to change the court either by adding more justices or term limits if the Democrats hold onto Congress.

8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You can laugh at me or with me. It's hard to tell exactly where you stand. How much of what you do is devil's advocate versus your true feelings - I suspect it's always a mix of both that varies day-to-day. You know it used to frustrate me that you did that, which helped give me the perspective how it must of frustrated other people when I did that to them.

We're all here just pissing in the wind at the end of the day. We're deciding nothing, nor affecting anything on here. We're here for ourselves and our own agenda, and I try to keep that focused on having interesting debate and getting new insights or thoughts into various topics. That doesn't require being disrespectful to anyone, even if we might find their opinions offensive or against our core principles. So I am trying my best to stick to the debate while also having some light hearted fun.

Anyway, hope you have a good evening.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  9. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

10. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

11. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

I’m going to put my big boy pants on and apologize for lashing out to you few weeks ago. After reading your posts over this time period you seem like a reasonable person and I shouldn’t have jumped to conclusions.

jiggyfly and Nook like this.
  12. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Ah yes, the party of democracy will seek to stack the court, to you know, protect democracy

blue_eyed_devil likes this.
  13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dems are not going to hold onto Congress. And while 2024 is far away, it's not looking promising. And to be sure, we don't actually know if Roe v Wade will be overturned, even though that is what it appears to be.

Democrats have a very weak hand currently. They've had a weak hand for some time now. I think the full court information blitz by the right has been tremendously effective in shaping American politics, it will be something for historians to study. the Koch brothers will have forever left their mark. Well, forever is a long time.

14. HTM

HTM Member

I would recommend you be mindful in the way your respond to people/ask for things. Try and be gracious and not contentious if you want a productive dialogue.

There is a widely recognized "gender gap" in religion, and especially in Christianity in the West. Here are stats about the gender gap in religion

https://www.pewresearch.org/religion/2016/03/22/the-gender-gap-in-religion-around-the-world/

There is certainly a large religious component to abortion opposition in the United States.Though I don't think opposition to abortion is exclusively based on religion.

#334 HTM, May 3, 2022
    Last edited: May 3, 2022
    jiggyfly and Nook like this.
  15. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

It’s only ok when they **** with bio female athletes though, then it’s totally ok because god forbid someone with testosterone for 16+ yrs had to play sports against similar kind

“we want women to be able to choose what they can do with their body!”

cue biological men being imprisoned with biological females and rape ensuing

Cue female athletes on scholarships getting cheated out of what they’ve spent their whole life working hard to accomplish because men want to tell them what to do

I would like to be consistent. I’m for females being in charge of their future on both accounts

#335 LosPollosHermanos, May 3, 2022
    Last edited: May 3, 2022
    Space Ghost likes this.
  16. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I don’t think it matters what biden voted for, people are being too hard on him. Expecting him to stay awake for the first sentence is already too much

Space Ghost likes this.
  17. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Given that there is a strong majority of support for not overturning Roe that could be considered defending democracy.

No Worries likes this.
  18. Agent94

Agent94 Member

Quit blaming old white dudes. An old black man and a youngish white woman were involved. It’s not about race or gender.

19. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Roe v Wade was decided by old white dudes

20. Agent94

Agent94 Member

How old are you?