1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who do you think Stone will choose with 1st or 2nd pick?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TimDuncanDonaut, May 2, 2022.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I don't know, man, but based on Patrick's/Stone's picks from last year, I kinda like his/Stone's drafting (with Garuba TBD).

Bo6, CXbby and burlesk like this.
  2. eman

eman Contributing Member

Jabari is Matt Bullard, new and maybe improved. I mean that in a good way. Need!

3. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

it doesnt matter who you pick...what matters is what you gonna do with whoever you pick

4. thedude077

thedude077 Member

I wouldn't mind if he drafts Jaden Ivey over Chet Holmgren. For me is Jabari Smith Jr, Jaden Ivey, Paolo Banchero, and Keegan Murray are must get. Chet Holmgren is so overrated.

5. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

The more I look at the top 3 picks the more I feel Jabari could turn out to be a Davis Bertrans who is overpaid. Maybe a Marcus Morris if you're lucky but would either be worth a full tank season?

I'm leaning Chet for his defense or Paulo for his all around freakish game and size.

6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I could see that. It's possible Stone might give the edge to Jabari over Paolo because of his far superior perimeter defense too.

7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

When I watch Jabari play defense, the last players I think about are Bertans and Morris. He could be a special defender.

8. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

He projects as a good, not great defender. In fact, his defensive college stats track very closely with Markieff Morris. Would not surprise me in the least if their careers are very similar.

9. D-rock

D-rock Member

I'm worried that Stone is locked into Banchero and will telegraph his pick publicly again.

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  10. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And that's where we gotta take a big step back from the college stats, and check out the defensive slides in action. Night & day. Jabari can defend in space. Markieff is Helen Keller when he isn't parked behind a C on defense.

Denovo, D-rock and saleem like this.
  11. ClutchCityReturns

I have watched so much Jabari footage I think my eyes might actually fall out before the draft. The stats are supplementary.

Perhaps we'll just have to agree to disagree.

RudyTBag likes this.
  12. saleem

Fine, but stats aren't everything.

13. saleem

We don't know where the Rockets will end up in the draft until May 17th.

14. ClutchCityReturns

Of course, which is why I said the stats are supplementary to game footage.

saleem likes this.
  15. Rokman

Rokman Member

Thanks for answering so I didn't have to type all that. I second this.

D-rock likes this.
  16. Rokman

Rokman Member

I want the #1 Pick. Anyone having the option to choose the guy the Rockets really want sucks. I bet they would have taken Cunningham if they had the #1 Pick but had to settle for Jalen. Not saying he's a bad choice, he's not, but wasn't the guy they wanted and bet they would still prefer to have Cunningham. He's a better all-around player.

17. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

Not a fan of banchero for this team

With a top 2 pick we need to come away w Jabari or Chet.. period. Or stone failed

D-rock and cmoak1982 like this.
  18. Roxfan4lyfe

Roxfan4lyfe Member

I’m not too high on Jabari I just don’t think he’ll be a all star my opinion though, he’s like a Robert Horry type of player which is a good comparison.. I think the only way he end up as a Rocket is by having the 3rd pick I wouldn’t draft him at 1 or 2

19. Bo6

Bo6 Member

ya'll "worried about stone" takes are goofy as hell. the dues BEST attribute by far at gm is his talent evaluation prowess... i'd sleep comfy knowing he has a couple of picks to work with here.

now everything else about Stone is the worry (FA/Trades/coaching/salary cap) but so far drafting is not one of them.

Verbal Christ, Rokman and cmoak1982 like this.
  20. Raven

Raven Member

I think they'll draft Jabari if he is available. If Jabari is gone, I think they'll select either Chet or Ranchero.