1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is the lottery fixed? What spot will the Rockets land this year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, May 2, 2022.

?

Is the lottery fixed?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

Yeah I actually think this is good, but what about the actual drawing? We all know how big of an impact the pecking order has on a franchise.

2. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

If we end up with neither Chet or Jabari then the tank year and suffering that went with it would have be a giant waste of time.

3. mightybosstone

People love to point at specific examples to show the lottery is rigged, but there are just as many examples to show it likely isn't. You want a local one? How about the 2002 lottery when the Rockets ended up getting the No. 1 overall pick and drafting Yao? Houston had less than 9% chance despite having only the fifth worst record and larger market teams with greater chances like Chicago finishing behind them.

Also, I don't believe they're rigging the lottery, because all it would take is one person on the inside going to the media with that information to completely destroy the league's credibility forever. Of the professional sports leagues in the U.S., I'd argue the NBA has been the best run over the last 30-40 years—they're not dumb enough to try something like that given the huge risk that would come with it.

4. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]
    :eek:

It’s not fixed!! It’s rigged!
    …….
    …….
    …….

ilovehtownbb likes this.
  5. alethios

alethios Member

explain your thinking - are you saying either one of these players would bust in the NBA? Who are you hoping to pick at 1 or 2?

6. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

One of those and throw in Banchero too. I'm saying if we DON'T end up with any of them then we wasted our time tanking and suffering.

7. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

If we end up with neither chet or Jabari aka if we aren't able to draft chet or Jabari then the season would have been wasted.

8. alethios

alethios Member

ok, I just saw that you said neither, not either lol. My bad :p

ipaman likes this.
  9. Bo6

Bo6 Member

no way we get a top 3 pick this year. based on tankathon its either #4 or #5 for us.

10. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

I do think it’s hard to explain certain picks like LeBron to Cleveland, D Rose to Chicago and even Cavs getting first multiple times to try to salvage the franchise after losing LeBron. That’s a loss that could’ve absolutely destroyed that teams income and viability if they weren’t gifted immediate draft help.

The Rockets not keeping their pick last year is bad for the league. Another guy to small market OKC or a top prospect to the 4th largest city in the US that could lose major income after Harden left.

Again, if it were you as the Commish, you’d have to at least consider certain teams being more in need for league revenue and team viability. Not saying it’s rigged or not, just something to think about.

11. Caesar

Caesar Member

Cavs got a million #1 picks and top picks for compensation from the NBA Bron. Rockets asked to give Harden to Brooklyn to form a new superteam, Rockets get compensated a #1 pick, superteam quickly fails and breaks up, Rockets get punished and fall in the draft and never see a top 3 pick again.

burlesk likes this.
  12. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

I think it is rigged.

The league has a shared revenue system. So it’s in their best interest to keep “talent” in all 30 teams.

What Harden did to Houston in my opinion hurt the league so they had to immediately fix the situation. I think the association at the very least protects their business and investments.

burlesk and Plowman like this.
  13. scolandry1

scolandry1 Member

Percent chance of Cleveland winning 3 out of 4 draft lotteries before the scripted LeBron return? Seven-thousandths of a percent.

burlesk and BHannes2BHonest like this.
  14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

They don't need to fix anymore.

Players just call in sick until they get traded to a team they like or will overpay them.

15. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

whether it's rigged every year is debatable

but to claim it's never rigged is clueless lunacy >>> fakers just a few years ago magically landing the 4th pick and the pels getting #1 right when AD needed to be swapped

16. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The NBA is missing out on some great marketing here. Corporate branding for the lottery ball machine, hot girl to retrieve the balls. Why am I not in charge of this?!
    [​IMG]

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  17. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

Yeah it's rigged enough to let Zion, one of the most hyped prospects coming in in like a decade, go to New Orleans where people don't care about the NBA. Instead of the Knicks who picked 3rd. Suuuuure.

burlesk likes this.
  18. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

Also, these team owners are all richer and more powerful than Silver. Do you really think they'd just let him screw them like that? If the Clippers were to become bad somehow, do you think Steve Baller, who's worth more than the entire NBA combined, would let them screw him over? The biggest victims of a rigged draft would be the teams that get bumped down and no egotistical billionaire would take that sitting down.

burlesk likes this.
  19. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

This is just not accurate. According to tankathon and everyone else, Rox have a 52.1% chance at a top four pick (including a 14% chance at no. 1), meaning we have a 47.9% chance to pick no. 5 (since we're guaranteed not to pick lower than that)... How do you figure there's no chance at a top 3 pick, based on tankathon? Not trying to be the math teacher here, just confused.

20. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

NBA was not a fan of paying players to sit out I bet we end up fourth or fifth.