1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rafael, I hope.....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hlmbasketball, May 1, 2022.

1. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Haha. Yeah I have people tell me that all the time. Surround them with
    good players and they can win a championship......yeah and I can surround
    Mario Chalmers with good players and win a championship as well.

2. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

I agree the Rockets need size and probably why most of these teams have dominated the Rockets. I really liked Bruno as his presence kept guards out the paint in those few games we saw late this season. I’m not saying he is the answer but he could be a solid bench body. Sengun really puts us in a difficult position since his interior D is so awful despite fans love for him. As much as I like his offense I don’t think he is the answer in the middle and maybe be better as another solid bench player. His lack of D really hurts the team in an area where big men are supposed to protect and defend the paint. If you pair him with a bigger 4 he would still play the 5 against bigger longer opponents and he still would have to guard high screen and rolls etc. And he is too slow to defend smaller more agile 4s. Hence The Sengun conundrum. Perhaps trade him?

3. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I never mentioned Goebert, Jokic or Kat. We need a player who can spread the court, yet provides a defensive presence......Stone needs to get to work.

Stephen_A likes this.
  4. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Funny how It worked for the Rockets in 93' and 94'. Surrounding a big with shooters.

hakeem94, Stephen_A and ApacheWarrior like this.
  5. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Well you need a variety of size to match up. Most good teams have 3 guys or so various sizes deployed for different lineups to match up with the other team. Boston for instance has the Williams Theis and Horford. Suns play Ayton and Mcgee with Crowder sometimes at the 5 depending on who they’re playing. But one thing for sure is they’re bigger than the Rockets. Even those Dallas boys klieber and Powell are bigger and quicker than Sengun and Rockets bigs.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  6. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Do you have a time warp in your pocket?

Dinosaurs use to roam the earth....once upon a time.

I like you himbasketball, you make me laugh

7. TimDuncanDonaut

People can debate on the near 7-footers player(s), but there's just too many 6'4"-6'6" guys, not enough 6'7"-6'9" guys. The height has to get compensated somewhere. Be the 5 or elsewhere (3 or 4).

The team is just short overall. It's not having versatility, and the only play style we do have, we're average at it.

Some teams can go

1) regular big. - one traditional 7ft or a near 7ft center

2) long and switchy - bunch of 6'7 - 6'9" guys with no traditional center. <<- we don't have this. we have t-rex arm guys 6'6" going against (failing) against other teams' scrub bigs.

3) going small <<- we have this, it works *sometimes, but even then we don't do it nearly as well as teams like GSW or Hornets. GSW don't even go small 100% of the times.

It's like playing a game but you only have one move to use.

#27 TimDuncanDonaut, May 1, 2022
    Last edited: May 1, 2022
    hakeem94, D-rock and Stephen_A like this.
  8. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

what some people are disregarding is that the Rockets aren’t only short but we aren’t physical either. Neither Sengun or Wood are physical. Its not just height its how physical you play. Thats why Bam the Williams guys in Boston powell in dallas etc are successful because they are all tough physical players.

9. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Guys are defending some interesting hills this weekend. I like it!

[​IMG]

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. hakeemthagreat

You apparently need to watch the playoffs, because you'd know Sengun would be absolutely unplayable against any of teams playing now. Wood would actually be more playable than Sengun in a series. The problem is he would get completely TORCHED by teams isolating him every time on offense. Sengun doesn't move his feet good enough to play in a post season series.

I'm sure Stone & Silas know more than you do

Stephen_A likes this.
  11. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

A lot of NBA teams are shoring up on lengthy guys. Rockets had length on some of those winning teams (Ariza, Luc, Uncle Jeff). Take the Raptors. A lot of length and bigger players. Similar situation with Pelicans. Rockets maybe need couple more lengthy 3-D guys above 6’6”. Suns aren’t necessarily a big team but very balanced with 2 bigs and couple lengthy guys in Cam johnson and Torrey Craig.

12. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

I mean I get what OP is saying and he’s not wrong. And seems like he is just questioning what we will do with our big situation not really set in Stone. No pun intended. But I don’t think Sengun should start. Or wood as a matter of fact. Need big physical players. I like what I saw in Bruno and think he could be a very good bench guy if he continues to play like that.

13. TimDuncanDonaut

The long lengthy wings is in demand, but has been for at least a few years. Clippers, Raptors and Dallas to name a few. Thing is ClutchFans kinda saw this at least maybe few years ago, but why isn't our front office pivoting.

This isn't me poo poo on small ball. It has its place.

Dallas still used a 5-out small lineup on a few quarters to decidedly beat Jazz in the playoffs. But if Kidd wanted, he still has bigs he can go to: Kleber (6'10"), Powell (6'10"), and Bertans (6'10").

Stephen_A likes this.
  14. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Why the clickbait title to the thread??

15. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

I think people are attacking OP about specifics but i think I understand his overall sentiment. He may have mistaken the numbers but the point I think he is making is Rockets need to be bigger and more physical. Some of those guys are 6’9” or 6’10” but they are heavier and much more physical than woods and sengun.

16. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

People ask Why is our team so bad? I just think It’s unbalanced and we have a makeshift roster. We have 2 experiments. One a troubled Guard with athleticism playing out of position. And two, a project big we got at a relatively cheap price who we gambled on at low risk who didn’t quite become the Stud we wished for. A slow footed short armed center who is better at offense. Two shorter 3-D guys who can’t shoot. And a bunch of guards with bruno and Garuba thrown in last few games. There’s a lot of work to be done with the roster and so many holes to fill around Green. That’s why I have preached patience since i would imagine this team would look very different next year and beyond. Because we know this current mix matched team isn’t it.

17. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

It doesn't seem like they do. I think Silas has misused Wood since he got here.

Also, I never said Sengun would match up well with the other bigs that are currently in the playoffs. Which I think the bigger problem. If he's not a starting center, what's the plan for him?

Stephen_A likes this.
  18. hakeemthagreat

Actually Bruno was perfect for our offense. Hopefully we can get someone even better in the draft

Stephen_A likes this.
  19. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

CORRECT. We need to add more physicality and figure out what is the best way to use Sengun and Wood.

Stephen_A likes this.
  20. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

I really don’t know what to do with Sengun. He is such a liability on defense. Can it improve? His fouling can certainly be improved but the slow feet and lack of paint presence or shot blocking/altering ability? Then again Jokic wasn’t a great defender either until he became decent in past couple years but at least he has height and length.