1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wood is underrated

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by D-rock, Apr 29, 2022.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

Perhaps.

But who in top 10 can provide the scoring and rebounding that Wood currently provides?

I'd rather use EGo or Tate to move up because we have younger players ready to step into their roles right now.

groovemachine likes this.
  2. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Why does our crap look shinier the longer we go without watching them? Wood has the talent of an allstar but the mentality and drive of someone who throws a massive draft party without even getting 2nd round consideration… wait

Richie_Rich and REEKO_HTOWN like this.
  3. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

He’s honestly one of the most frustrating players I’ve ever watched. He has the offensive skills to be elite, yet he can’t hit free throws. Inexcusable. Contrary to what some on here think, he is absolutely quick enough to guard on the perimeter, yet he doesn’t do a good job of it, and his interior defense is some of the worst I have ever seen. The potential is there with him, but the execution usually isn’t. Like someone said, he needs a coach who will push him and hold him accountable. It’s getting a little late for that switch to click on for him. He either gets it soon, or he’s already as good as he’s ever going to be. Put him on a veteran team, and I think he’d be a real asset for someone. I just don’t see it happening here.

4. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Eason? Duren? Isn't Wood a short timer with the franchise?

D-rock likes this.
  5. PatBev

PatBev Member

I would take him if he realized this is KPJ & Green and he needs to be a roll player if he wants to win. Dudes like 26 already

KPJ/Green/Top 5/Wood/Sengun would be a solid lineup

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

problem is Wood wants 1st option money. You can’t pay a guy like Wood anything more than $22 mil a year

7. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

hhahaa nice one...
    btw javale mc gee can hit( midrange and) the 3 so can ayton....but their teams are doing fine without them taking the high % shot

8. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

its almost like he needs...........COACHING

D-rock and DaDakota like this.
  9. Jontro

Jontro Member

maybe wood is underrated in the sense that i would probably rate him as a pretty good player for my rec league

10. D-rock

D-rock Member

Neither Duren or Eason will average 20 PPG anytime soon in NBA.

Heck, our franchise player - Jalen Green - only averaged 17.

And had to have historic 5 straight games of 30+ and season ending 40 burger to do so.

And FYI - neither Eason or Duren averaged a double double in any season in college.

Nevermind a 20 burger double double.

Eason - 17/7
    Duren - 12/8

#50 D-rock, Apr 30, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2022
    groovemachine likes this.
  11. Bo6

Bo6 Member

all depends on the contract. i like him at 15-20 million. hate him anywhere above that.

Corrosion and Hank McDowell like this.
  12. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

i would feel pretty shocked if somebody jumps out, give negative comments on wood's offensive skills n his scoring ability, actually in this very aspect, he is incredible, he has flexed much his muscles in front of us, n we have witnessed that enough through 2021-2022 season;

but what cwood not yet showcased, happened to be the cherry on the cake - is a persistent defensive presence on court (night in night out) and the willingness with regard to D,
    defense is the thing moves the needle, defense is the watershed between good players n elite players - for cwood, start focusing on D will makes things different,
    will this big man get rotted in low-tier teams?
    or, will be pursued by various playoff teams, even championship teams.

if i were wood, in order to show off my 'all-around' games, i would have let go my big ego to set QUALITY screen for 19-yr-old prospect, would have shared balls with others more, would have done more very little things on the defensive end to make my teammates looks better...THAT cwood will definitely be a hot product this summer, intriguing many wooers making phone calls to Stone.
    sadly, based on his tweets, i feel so sure he still doesn't figure it out.

(btw, 'chamberlain, russell, abdul-jabbar, hakeem n...wood', is a quote unquote from @ThatBoyNick i found in a game thread, it's pretty funny most HOF centers got unusual names)

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  13. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

That doesn't matter. The fact is that the Rockets are slightly better on both offense and defense with Wood off the floor.

If he's not making the team better, then his numbers are irrelevant. A player who puts up less numbers but makes teammates better would be more of a benefit.

14. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

Lebron - “This mans a problem”

stone needs to hit up GM lebron for that 2027 1st :D

D-rock likes this.
  15. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Lmao maybe he’s stupid enough to do it! Wood is basically a big man Westbrook.

AlperenSengun likes this.
  16. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Let's just part ways with Sideshow Bob.

17. Nook

Nook Member

Wood can be a really valuable player on a team where the coaches and players hold him accountable for his effort on the defensive end. That isn’t the Rockets.

18. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Undermotivated maybe

Nook and DeBeards like this.
  19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The guy basically had his own team for a full season and that team was the worst in the league. Sure he can be much better playing alongside a superstar PG like Chris Paul but that doesn’t matter because that’s not going to happen if Wood is on this team because he’s not a draw to go out and sign a Chris Paul type.

Long story short, anything more than 5 to 8 million a year and I want nothing to do with resigning him. Nothing personal but I just don’t see him being a valuable trade commodity and he’s proven as a guy who isn’t good enough to build around. I know people here love the guy but reality is what it is. I won’t be happy if the Rockets extend him to a large deal.

20. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

No doubt, but considering Wood is likely leaving after next season, flipping him for a prospect like Eason or Duren would be a great move imo. Those guys have great potential as defender/rebounders, which we desperately need next to Green/2022 top 5 pick.

No doubt Wood is a fantastic offensive talent, so I'd package him with the 17 to move up. You have to give up talent to get talent, and I'm not sure Tate or EG gets much traction as far as moving up in this draft.