1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Your ideal draft night....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Landry's Tooth, Apr 19, 2022.

1. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Ideal draft night - Draft Jabari/Ivey & somehow trade up for Eason using the Nets pick and Wood/Gordon or Sengun.

My draft board

1. Jabari
    2. Ivey
    3. Banchero
    4. Holmgren
    5. Eason
    6. Murray/Mathurin

groovemachine likes this.
  2. Losmi_34

Losmi_34 Member

I told myself I wouldn't be deep diving into prospect scouting reports and film until after the lottery. But of course I couldn't stay patient and I watched and read a lot.

So my mind changed from Jabari to Chet, as the no.1 target for us. He has the awareness, the bbiq, the feel for the game which is essential for building a great team. He can play with Sengun as an outside-in attacker and defensively can fill the gaps and give us some rim protection. Essentially, I envision him being a version of Christian Wood with more length that plays with heart and has more bbiq.

As for the other pick, be it 17th or if we move Wood and/or EG for a higher slot, I would love us to take Jeremy Sochan. Again, size, feel, defensive awareness and ability to switch. Between him and Chet We would instantly improve our D, while still getting most of the offense from JG and Sengun.

Trade EG, Wood, Tate for whatever combo of picks and savvy vets We can get, and roll out a rotation like this next year:

KPJ/JC/Nix
    JG/JC/Gary
    KJ/Sochan/Gary
    Chet/Sochan
    AlP/Garuba

Probably a 11-13th team in the West, but with potential to grow and become dangerous quickly. A good mix of offense, defense, superior athleticism and a team that can quickly blow a game wide open. Maybe try to cash in on KPJ and bring a vet PG to stabilize and guide the youngsters, and try to get in the mix for a play-in spot.

3. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

In a perfect world the ideal draft night would be moving whatever combination of Wood, Gordon and Tate for an additional pk and selecting 3 & D guys across the board.

Jabari
    Eason
    Agbaji

All 3 can play and defend multiple positions. They rebound well and do not have to have the ball in their hands to impact the game. Most importantly they can knock down the 3 ball.

Eason is still improving in that area at 36% on the year. Smith and Agbaji are both deadly off the catch and shot 40+% overall for the year.

I doubt Sengun will mind having knockdown shooters spread across the floor to create for. He, KPJ and Green would excel in this scenario. This is my ideal draft night.

Oh and if they can grab Jovic too and possibly Alocen in the 2nd then... :D

D-rock, peleincubus and groovemachine like this.
  4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I'm sticking with Chet/Jabari
    Trade up for Sochan or
    Stay at 17 for Liddell

5. dmoneybangbang

Jabari and trading up to grab Dyson Daniels.

Bo6 likes this.
  6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Might not have to trade up for Daniels.

7. dmoneybangbang

Maybe, could anywhere from 10-17

8. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

yes and yes.

I think Daniels will start climbing into mid-high lotto. if we're unlucky and land 5th, and we're choosing between Murray (Age), griffin (injury), or sharpe (risk), its not crazy to think mathurin or Daniels can work into that conversation later in the draft process. at a reported 6'8 200, if you believe he can become at least an average shooter, you've got a potentially elite defensive point forward. that profile is well deserving of the 5th pick. if you don't believe in the shot coming along, you've got more of a high end rotation player than a high end starter. at that point rolling the dice on Sharpe becomes more appealing. but I happen to believe he can improve his shot and would consider him in this group.

Bo6 and dmoneybangbang like this.
  9. Rokman

Rokman Member

Draft Chet with the first pick (PF)
    Draft Mark Williams (C)
    Trade someone or future picks to pick up Christian Braun (SG) (Plays like Tyler Herro and has very strong leadership qualities)

10. fattz

fattz Member

I like pretty much everything said especially the cashing in on Porter. We don’t want to pay him and when playing with fire (his temperament) it always best to put it down. Even if he make an all star game or two we are better off because our team is Green & Sengun PLUS whatever else we pick up this year. If Stone turns Porter (we acquired for a second round pick) into say a Kendall Brown (pick 17-24)(length and defense) then Porter was worth the time. I think a team would trade a mid to late FRP on Porter, worth the risk. I hope Porter finds what he is looking for, only the best to him.

We already have a VETERAN point on retainer that needs some positive burn (run the offense, pass first, and play defense) to get his next contract in Wall.

What we don’t have is coaching staff to check the vets and pull them off the court to the bench when needed. Our goal should be to help the team get better not just player’s stats. The staff needs a developmental mindset that puts the youth in supportive situations. Hold everyone accountable.

Losmi_34 and peleincubus like this.
  11. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I like your list, but why is Eason so high on it? Do you have a preference for the Nets pick?

12. TheBeastSystem

13. dmoneybangbang

I really like Dyson Daniels, but he does seem somewhat Ben Simmons-ish / MCW-ish in the mold of the "non-shooting oversized playmaker". Allegedly he's 6'8" 200lbs with a 6'11" wingspan which is pretty great for a defensive minded point forward. If he could shoot, he'd be a no doubt top ten pick so there's some value getting him 13-17 if he can become an average or better shooter. Charlotte, NYK, and Washington will potentially be in that draft range and could be good trade partners.

14. mr_gootan

mr_gootan Member

Trading picks/players for Jalen Suggs and draft Chet

15. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

I don’t have Eason that high anymore but I think he’s a sure-fire starter in this league and a safe pick. I’d take him anywhere outside of the top 5

My current board -

Jabari
    Chet
    Ivey
    Banchero
    Murray
    Davis
    Mathurin
    Eason

Tbf I like to get slightly inebriated and watch scouting reports this time of year and I fell in love with Eason and his game around 3am one night lmfao

Nets pick I like Malaki Branham if he’s still there

saleem likes this.
  16. Grizzlyshark

Grizzlyshark Member

Bari and Tari.

Sochan and even Murray would be dream scenario, but without trading down i doubt they be anywhere around our pick.

Tari probably wont be either but i keep seeing him mocked between 12-18 so i think thats kiiiiiiiind of more realistic?

StrawberryJamm likes this.
  17. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

I would say as-is he's already in the 10-14 range. if you believe in his ability to improve his shot, or if he has some hot shooting workouts, I think he moves into that 6-9 range.

the difference between him and MCW is he's already got a much better feel for the game and is a much better defensive player. maybe more of a Shawn Livingston floor? and Ben Simmons (although bigger than Dyson) is a really good outcome for any player. he's an all star. and 99% of players aren't non-shooters the way he refuses to shoot. Dyson did hit 1 three a game in the GL, albeit on poor %'s. I don't think Simmons ever even attempted a three a game. do Dyson will shoot it, and it all depends on if you believe he can continue his improvement.

18. xaos

xaos Member

That would be amazing and not unimaginable

19. D-rock

D-rock Member

Ideal draft options:

1. Chet Holmgren - Jabari Smith - Mark Williams

2. Chet Holmgren - Tari Eason - Mark Williams

3. Chet Holmgren - Jalen Johnson - Mark Williams

*The middle player is acquired via trade - either future FRP or player (EGo, Tate, Wood) or both.
    *1st player is Rockets FRP
    *3rd player is Nets FRP

20. Raven

Raven Member

With the number one selection in the 2022 NBA draft, the Rockets select Jabai Smith.