1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Verlander Re-signs with Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by lnchan, Nov 17, 2021.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

2-3 weeks late, but I just saw that the player option is only available if Verlander reaches 130 IP. I feel a lot better about the deal as odds are good that he's well worth the $25M if he makes it to 130 innings. If he's bad or gets hurt in the 1st 4 months, odds are not good that he'll reach 130 innings. There is some risk that he gets hurt in late August or September, and the Astros end up paying $50M for 130 innings that are likely good over 2 years.

2. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

The greater risk is that he does very well and chooses not to exercise his PLAYER OPTION.

3. mightybosstone

Early returns on Verlander? He's leading MLB starters in innings pitched and WHIP through four starts, he's 8th in Ks and 12th in ERA. I think it's safe to say he's exceeded expectations thus far. If he keeps up, this deal will be a steal.

4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Leading in IP has to be somewhat concerning. You have to think they don't want him throwing 200 innings before the postseason.

lnchan likes this.
  5. mightybosstone

To some extent, sure. But it's also super promising that he's capable of pitching late into games early in the season despite coming off TJS in a season with such a short spring training.

Knowing Dusty, I have to think Verlander will miss some starts due to rest throughout the year. It would also help if the Astros could get him some run support so he wouldn't have to pitch into the 7th every game.

everyday eddie likes this.
  6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I think they are more worried about pitches thrown for a guy like Verlander, and he's been extremely efficient in that regard. 91 yesterday which was his season high. He's only thrown 343 pitches so far, in 2019 he had already thrown 519 at this point.

The team has already taken measures to cut him well down from his previous workload. If he continues to only need 90 pitches to get through 7 innings then I don't think they will have an issue with him being around 200 innings, but I suspect he won't.

7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The Astros are second in innings pitched by starters since Dusty has been manager. Odorizzi getting hurt, Odorizzi crapping the bed early, and Dusty having no faith in Odorizzi (see crapping the bed) are the only three reasons the Astros aren't far and away the team that places the greatest workload on their starting pitching.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  8. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Verlander took 2 offseasons + part of a season to heal. Rather than simply a year.

He is pitching on at least 5 days rest between each start so far and is throwing much fewer pitches per start.

As a fan I am VERY OK with this

So far so good.

The idea that he is leading the league in IP is a product of how everyone else is being used, not how Justin is.

RKREBORN likes this.
  9. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

I prefer 6 man rotation then skipping starts so it doesn't ruin a routine...

Joe Joe likes this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

Bingo.

11. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

He is averaging about 11 pitches per inning which is about 2/3rds from a typical good starting pitcher at about 15 on a good performance.

12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Verlander is averaging over 13 pitches per inning. 343 pitches in 26 innings.

13. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I guess I'm cherry picking the starts I remember, which are probably his better starts. It's good to check the memory against the stats. Thank You.

14. Buck Turgidson