1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ben Simmons says he mentally triggered his back problems

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Invisible Fan, Apr 27, 2022.

1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I don't feel like working on the worst days either. Doesn't mean I can cash those checks in good conscience.

https://www.netsdaily.com/2022/4/26...a-mental-block-that-can-trigger-back-problems

Shams Charania reports that Simmons decision not to play in Game 4 “triggered frustration and disheartenment throughout the organization.”

Moreover, reports Shams, Simmons admitted to a “mental block” that can exacerbate his back issues.

Sunday’s events triggered frustration and disheartenment throughout the organization, multiple sources said. The fallout of Simmons being ruled out Sunday led to a meeting among franchise officials, Simmons and his agent, Klutch Sports CEO Rich Paul, on Monday in Brooklyn.

According to sources, Simmons told those in the room that a mental block exists for him, dating in part to last summer’s postseason, which is creating stress that could serve as a trigger point for his back issues. He added that he does want to play basketball and play for the Nets as he works on solutions in regard to his well-being.​

The detail was among several in Shams’ Tuesday reporting about the events leading to the decision. Here’s previously unreported information about the buildup

Simmons had been described as pain-free for the majority of the past month but began to cite soreness in his back on Friday, and a scheduled scrimmage was pushed back, multiple sources said. Simmons conducted two full-court scrimmages last week on Monday and Wednesday, in which there was low intensity displayed, those sources said. Throughout Simmons’ rehab, both Durant and Irving, for their part, publicly downplayed their expectations for a Simmons return and said the goal is to get him healthy.​

Then came the key workout and aftermath...

On Sunday, Simmons informed the team his back was sore. For Nets players, the confusion was not centered around Simmons’ ailment, but with the perceived lack of attempt to play, effort to be in uniform and push his body in these high-stakes playoffs, sources said. Nets players and coaches wanted to see Simmons show resolve and enter this series to start his on-court Brooklyn tenure, even if it was for limited minutes on Monday or none at all while still dressing for the game.​

It was then that Steve Nash said the decision to play would ultimately lie with the player rather than the team. Indeed, it did. The Nets however were met with disappointment.

Many had hoped Simmons would find a way to make his debut amid a back issue as well. He made all of the necessary progressions in rehab and showed optimism about joining the team on the floor. That’s why, after a recovery process of starts, stops, delays and questions, the Nets and Simmons finally felt he was on the doorstep of a return. And it didn’t happen.​

Jake Fischer of Bleacher Report also reported on the Simmons saga, writing that there was some at HSS Training Center thought that the 25-year-old might even be ready for Game 3!

Before the Celtics series began on Easter Sunday, league sources told B/R the 25-year-old three-time All-Star and Nets personnel were confident he was on track to play as early as Game 3. Then his purported timeline became Game 4. That is until Sunday, when Simmons informed Brooklyn staffers he was experiencing back soreness, one day before Monday’s fateful Game 4 defeat.​

Fischer also reports that at the end of the day, the organization was “fatigued” by the whole experience.

[T]he Nets ruled Simmons out of Game 4 altogether, sources said, as a sense of fatigue from the situation and general disappointment seemed to permeate the franchise. After visiting the floor for pregame warm-ups prior to Game 3, Simmons did not partake in any pregame work Monday and was not present on the bench alongside his teammates for Game 4, which one source told B/R was because of his lingering back discomfort.​

2. i3artow i3aller

[​IMG]

#2 i3artow i3aller, Apr 27, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2022
  3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

The only way he may play again is if you attempt to take his money away.

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Mental illness is real. But it is ripe for abuse as a reason for labor dispute. There is no physical evidence to prove a guy really having mental issues. It's all based on what he says how he feels.

Anybody can tell his boss, "I have a mental block and need a one-year paid leave."

5. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Ben Simmons mental illness = I'm a huge quitter to normal people

robbie380 and Jontro like this.
  6. Juxtaposed Jolt

If his mental health is indeed causing him grief, so much so that he can't physically perform on a basketball court, then he needs to immediately retire from the NBA and void his contract.

Not play games like wanting 20M from Philly or whatever.

I highly doubt his mental health can be repaired in a single offseason.

7. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

All I can think about in this situation is:

A) Draft players that you think are mentally solid
    B) Have a staff of mentally supportive individuals
    C) Be the organization that wins in the mental health department
    D) Accept that mental health is real

8. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

And heres another top pick for you...
    keep pilling them up top pick only fans

Jontro and Ramo$e like this.
  9. Reeko

Reeko Member

edit

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. nemac

nemac Member

I know a guy who had anxiety and whenever he was in a situation he didn't wanna be in he would say his back was hurting and that he had to leave. Eventually we realised there was a pattern to it. I didn't doubt him that he experienced physical pain but it seemed like it was a manifestation of his anxiety. He eventually developed schizophrenia as well. Mental health is a fragile thing for sure.

Invisible Fan, jiggyfly and Rudyc281 like this.
  11. hakeemthagreat

D-Rock said we were stupid for not trading for this guy. Him & Simmons CLEARLY have the same mental challenges

12. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Nets have a serious problem on their hand. Mental health is real but also the NBA is real and at some point a decision is going to have to be made.

If they trade him, it will be for pennies on the dollar, if they keep him, it will be a detriment to the team.

Rocket River likes this.
  13. Jontro

Jontro Member

playing for the rox would cure his mental crazy.

14. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

If he wasn't a Klutch client I would buy his mental health a little more but it wouldn't shock me if he was trying to manipulate the Nets to trade him to the Lakers like AD did.

JumpMan and Wulaw Horn like this.
  15. TheBeastSystem

This is all about Simmons getting all his money for being "injured" and unable to perform, to void all the fines the Sixers leveled against him. They need to pay him and close the case. Pick mental health back up again at next CBA negotiation and develop strict protocol on it.

16. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

He's a pitcher with the yips. That isn't mental illness.

That said stress and back pain are directly linked. Being overly sensitive to stress or feeling stressed due to a situation isn't mental illness either.

jiggyfly and Rudyc281 like this.
  17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Time for Ben to stop feeling stressed and start feeling blessed.

+

JumpMan, Easy, jiggyfly and 1 other person like this.
  18. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Bewell

robbie380 likes this.
  19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Beweller, Beweller, Beweller...

[​IMG]

20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I thought you had lost your fastball.

Sorry I doubted you, Verlander.