1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Jeremy Pena Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Rockets34Legend, Mar 25, 2022.

1. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

this isn’t a reply to snakes post. At all.

Bregatron likes this.
  2. raining threes

These are the moves he's made to fortify the roster that was given to him.

3. raining threes

My point is he hasn't added anything to the team. No I don't expect Goodrum to be a superstar. I do expect him to hit more than his weight. Same goes with the catchers.

The young guys are blocked by these terrible signings is my point and no I don't think Crane is cheap. I think Click is in over his head. Just like Poops was.

Bottom line is under Click's watch regardless of what Snakes opinion is, the Stros were a multiple 100 win team and this yr they will be lucky to win 92.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  4. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

What young guys are blocked? Lee and Leon aren't hitting well enough to deserve a call up. Leon has a 32% K rate so far. Hunter Brown is walking too many people and can't get deep into games.

Matijevic was the best hitter in AAA and he is up....
    Mushinski was pitching well in AAA and he is up....

Rileydog and Bregatron like this.
  5. raining threes

I'm betting they will hit better than. .083

6. Rileydog

ao it doesn’t matter if the body of work consisting of non superstar acquisitions is on the whole strong? If you ain’t added a star you are crap?

or are you disputing that the body of work is on the whole strong?

7. Rileydog

So which is it? Click sucks because Astros don’t win a title every year? WS appearances don’t count? ALCS is trash?

or you gotta win 100 reg season games?

would click still suck if we won 100 but got eliminated in the DS? I’m betting the answer is a resounding yes.

jiggyfly, Bregatron and Snake Diggit like this.
  8. The Drake

The Drake Member

Dipping my toe into the Click debate...

I think the reason this can't really be resolved is because most of the beef folks have with Click is due to the deals he *didn't* do (i.e. not resigning at least one of our superstars, not further bolstering the roster for this season, etc.).

Whether this is a fair criticism is similarly tough to say because unless we're winning titles, it's always possible to say he should've done more (plus, as fans, we will never have the full picture of trade/free agency talks). I agree that generally Click gets it right when he makes a deal and he hasn't hamstrung the franchise with anything bloated, but this season's roster looks thin as hell and I feel like we all kinda knew that going in (i.e., it didn't take an oracle to see that we were one injury away from Niko Goodrum as DH).

I'm not calling for his head, but I think there should be a little pressure on Click to make a big-ish move at this year's deadline (assuming the team continues on it's current trajectory).

9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Aside from adding a ToR SP (which there’s always room for), where should a big move come from, assuming everybody’s healthy? Goodrum entered the season as the 13th position player. Diaz and McCormick/Siri should be ahead of him for DH time. If you think Meyers will be good once he returns, there really isn’t an everyday lineup spot available.

In hindsight there were several other utility players who probably would have been better bets than Goodrum, but if we are primarily debating the 13th position player, that probably means the GM has done a pretty good job of constructing a deep, talented roster.

10. The Drake

The Drake Member

I think we have plenty of space in the rotation. JV looks solid, but I see a lot of question marks with the rest of the guys. In CF, I think Meyers could be great, but who knows when he'll be back and in what condition. I'm lower on McCormick and Siri than most.

Squirtle likes this.
  11. Screaming Fist

I'm very excited to see Meyers' return. I think people have forgotten how good of a season he had last year.

12. toby

toby Member

I think my frustration arises with one small injury exposing the holes all over the line up. The rotating lineup is hard to get my head around, but I do get that there aren't tons of choices when we play every day.

If I blame Click for anything, it is quality backups??? Diaz seems to be the only really good backup and he's not a click guy. We were never going to add big names via free agency. Nerris seems like a good get. You'd think the hitting would turn around at some point, but resting Tucker after last night . . . confusing. I don't blame Click for the record yet - Dusty and Injuries are to blame in my book.

raining threes and Snake Diggit like this.
  13. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

A typical roster only carries 3-4 backups. Entering the season, those 4 were Castro, Siri/McCormick, Diaz, and Goodrum, who was in competition with Jones until Jones got hurt. Castro and McCormick are excellent backups who could start for many teams. Diaz is solid although his defensive value is decreasing due to age. So that leaves Goodrum, who showed flashes (2018-2019) of being a really good, versatile pkayer. Goodrum was not my first choice as the free agent utility player, but he made a lot of sense as a 13th position player (similar to Robel Garcia). Like I said, if we are judging Click based on 23 plate appearances of Niko Goodrum, Click did more right than wrong.

jiggyfly, toby and Bregatron like this.
  14. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Valdez, Odo, Garcia, and Urquidy have all been frustrating due to inconsistency, but all have shown flashes of effectiveness. Astros have 7 starters who project to be pretty effective (including McCullers), not including Brown and Solomon who have looked really really good in AAA. I agree with you that for now SP projects to be the mostly likely spot the Astros can improve their roster, but it’s not a glaring weakness, especially if McCullers really is expected back healthy in June/July.

IowaAstro, jiggyfly and Astrofan59 like this.
  15. Rileydog

you had it right when you said TOR pitcher is the place where we could improve. There is plenty of arm talent among the SP, but a true ace is always a difference maker in the post season.

if pressly is healthy, our pen looks to be a major strength. Neris, Montero, Maton are all good weapons. Stanek had success. Javier might be a post season arm. That’s good arms and depth too.

the culprit is our hitting. The world looks very different when Tucker and a Yordan play to their level. I mean, nobody thinks they’ve lost it … not even raining threes. No, we don’t have LAD depth in position players, but nobody does. We simply need our regulars to hit. It’s pretty simple.

IowaAstro, jiggyfly and Snake Diggit like this.
  16. raining threes

I'm saying a 100 win team is being stripped down to a 92 win team at best. Unless a couple of major ( he got balls) moves are made.

Wulaw Horn and everyday eddie like this.
  17. raining threes

I'm betting you're too emotional.

18. raining threes

Gotta disagree about Goodrum. Might as well kept Robel and saved the money.

19. raining threes

What's Castro hitting?

Has he blocked a ball this season?

It's not Castro's fault he got a 2 year deal.

20. raining threes

Or Malady, Castro not hitting.200 combined