1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Record Store Day 2022

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by VanityHalfBlack, Apr 23, 2022.

1. VanityHalfBlack

What y’all fools getting? Support your local record shops please thank you!

2. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

RIP Ear Doctor Records and Tapes in Huntsville

3. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Was unaware that there were still any local record stores that are actually profitable. Or any type of brick-and-mortar media store, for that matter.

I appreciate the nostalgia, and even agree that it was a better experience back then, but might as well be celebrating local livery stable and farrier day.

jiggyfly likes this.
  4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I buy records but I will be honest, I don't think I've ever been to a good record store.

5. VanityHalfBlack

Discogs I normally use for records. It's like ebay for records and they ship really fast. I was able to get all the releases from yesterday online.

6. Buck Turgidson

https://nationaltoday.com/national-farriers-week/

Stables and farriers still going strong, people spend an absolutely stupid amount of money on their horses.

jiggyfly likes this.
  7. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

I’ll grant you that they are nowadays further and few between, but really?

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

That Cactus music is like... nasty carpet floors. They sell candy from 1995. It smells weird in there.

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

One day I decided it'd be cool to own Melancholy and the Infinite Sadness on vinyle so I went to ebay and saw the prices. Geez.

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Those in Austin need to at least go shopping at Waterloo Records on North Lamar!

CCity Zero and VanityHalfBlack like this.
  11. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

I never said anything about Cactus. Anyway, we get it, you don’t like record stores. I would venture to guess though that you are in the extreme minority when in comes to vinyl enthusiasts.

12. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

as a kid we bought music on vinyl and some 8 track, then we needed music to go so we bought it all again on cassette. Then those melted in the hot car so we switched over to CDs and bought all that music again. Then the ipod happened and we converted CDs and napster'ed our music into a digital format and then streaming music made all those files pretty much obsolete.

I'll stick to streaming for the convenience but I do enjoy buying some albums on vinyl for some friends who are collectors.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I don't know man... I like the Rockets as an idea for example. But the team and everything about the organization right now is trash to me and I have no issue being honest about it. Give me a dope record store and I'm in. I tried a few in Nashville and was also disappoint.

14. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I wasn't able to get to the record store until an hour after it opened. Pretty much everything I was mildly interested in (which wasn't much) was already picked over. I went ahead and bought the Echo & the Bunnymen B-sides vinyl just to support the record store (for those in the DC area, CD Cellar in Falls Church is my favorite ).

I don't subscribe to any streaming services and only do physical copies, but I prefer CDs. I'm not old enough to have any nostalgia for record crackling/popping sounds and think CDs are the superior media due to the combination of sound + convenience + cost. However, I do like the warmer sound of vinyl in many cases and will buy it for some of my favorite classic albums, but that's about it. In general, the cost to me is just ridiculous.

jiggyfly likes this.
  15. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I think Record Store Day is as important to record stores as Black Friday is to traditional retailers. I'm guessing a huge portion of their annual profits come on that day. But yeah, a good record store with regular access to used vinyl is probably doing okay in 2022.

[​IMG]