1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. HOUSTON ROCKETS STREAM
    We're watching the Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone press conference now, reacting to their comments

Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone Press Conference
    Dismiss Notice

Kenyon Martin Sr. Critical of the Rockets Processes, Approach to Winning, and Culture

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by vator, Apr 26, 2022.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

2. D-rock

D-rock Member

3. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

I think KJ Martin is comparable to Montrezl Harrell

Montrezl can't move laterally when guarding quicker guards.

KJ can shoot 3s, Shot Block, Alley Oop Dunker. I think he is a undersized Center like Tate also.

Weakness Poor Dribbler, Can't Create his own shot, can't create for others, Poor Passer.

KJ Martin and JaeSean should be replaced.

Need 6'9 Forwards that have Length, Long Wingspan, Strength, Ball Handlers, High IQ, Pure Shooters, Excellent Handles, Lateral Quickness is the Biggest need at Forward.

4. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Rockets haven't had a Great Small Forward since Tracy McGrady

5. my time to shine

People are overrating the scrub that is KJ Martin

this team gonna get more talented each year

6. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

Haven’t read through the thread yet so forgive me if these points have been made

-Sr has valid points as to our confusing direction…

-At the trade deadline last year I said Stone was going to show me a lot regarding his competency. He clearly underperformed and showed he does not have the stones to make necessary and obvious moves. Imagine having another late first for trading EG? We could package it and move up or swap it for a protected 2023 pick if nothing materializes…

-Silas, not a fan. Although Sr needs to realize Silas was actively trying to win by not playing your son and other young players on limited minutes so we could watch EG, Wood, Shroder etc.. run his “offense” and dominate the ball. Maybe Sr would’ve preferred wall playing and pushing KPJ to the 3 so his son wouldn’t have any MPG????

-Culture is another thing he is right on… how many teams have you ever heard in your years as a fan that HAD 2 PLAYERs quit MID-game??? I had never heard that before, ever!!??? Wtf

-Future, I don’t have faith that Stone will trade wood or EG this off-season. His past is a mixed bag and the deadline moves have been atrocious (re:Oladipo lol)… Clutch is already talking about trading Tate which is a prime example of most intelligent fans already beyond stating the obvious of trading EG, Wood, Nwaba etc.. His drafts are the only thing I can feel decent about for the future. Pray for Chet or Jabari because defense and defensive coaching is non-existent.

-Lastly, after typing this I’m surprisingly glad that criticism is coming from somewhere. Where is the SHUT UP and LISTEN accountability????????

7. hajkov

hajkov Consummate Member

This

All KJ has proven so far is that he can jump and dunk.
    Flashy dunks and blocks doesn't make him a good basketball player.
    Everything else he has shown exactly what is expected of an average second round pick.

my time to shine likes this.
  8. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

tl;dr

the Rockets need to trade my son to the Warriors

J.R. and hajkov like this.
  9. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

that’s (corporate?) purchased tix + heavy promos.

tv ratings?

10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

when did Patrick return???

11. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

It'll be funny if all of this is because he talks to Gary Payton regularly and Payton is mentioning how his son (ironically a former Rocket) is thriving and loving life as a Golden State Warrior and Martin Sr is pissed and is taking it personally.

BHannes2BHonest and Nook like this.
  12. Reeko

Reeko Member

don’t have a problem with what he said

Rockets have won the L championship B2B…point differential a -7.9 and -8.5 to go along with the worst record and some tremendous losing streaks the last 2 seasons

think about it, we lose by almost double digits as our average…as dominant as PHX or the 17-18 Rockets were at winning, that’s how dominant we are at losing

And throughout all the losing, throughout all the fckery, KJ can barely get 20 mpg and never starts? I’d be on the radio, podcast, or whatever this was saying to free my son too.

Nook and D-rock like this.
  13. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I agree with Sr. but KJ can't put the ball on the floor and Silas has said many times he wants 5 players who can put the ball on the floor. Big part of his offense is attacking closeouts and defensive rotations and KJ is a weakness in that system.

Probably would be a great young role player for another team with another system.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

This is a big deal, he is connected to the NBA, and his son, and it is a glimpse into what some think of the org - we could become an org that players leave instead of come to....that would suck.

DD

15. Salvy

Salvy Member

[​IMG]

Os Trigonum likes this.
  16. Salvy

Salvy Member

Because an ex mediocre NBA player's son is not exactly the main priority for The Rockets right now?.. They just drafted 3 maybe 4 players with more potential than KMJ.... And just like he said, they will be drafting more putting KMJ further down the list... I'd hate for his comments to be true, I know for a fact Silas is a terrible hire... Then again the Rockets org has done a great job reviving KPJ's career and to some extent C Wood....

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

So Harden and PJ Tucker didn't jump ship just last year? Players want to win a Championship or at the very least to have a chance. They don't care about a winning culture that has no chance of a Championship or a 30-win team that prioritized winning over finding/developing a star (with the caveat if they get a chance to showcase their skills that may lead to a trade to one of those teams).

Getting Green to star level is the number 1 priority (or improving him if he's already there). Once the Rockets have another star (and maybe even before), the Rockets will start winning more based on Green's play, and the Rockets will become much more attractive to other players.

Nook and Salvy like this.
  18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

No, because if he is talking like this, others are too - and that can become a narrative.

DD

19. Salvy

Salvy Member

Developing the great young stars can also become a positive narrative... I think Silas is gone after this year, as soon as we land Chet and Green continues to improve The Rockets will hire a winning coach.....

20. D-rock

D-rock Member

Maybe Silas should also reconsider his system.

Simplify it so you can maximize your talent to the system instead of forcing the system onto your players.

Best coaches adapt to their talent.