1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] The Rockets should trade Jae’Sean Tate

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 22, 2022.

1. marinara

marinara Member

I
    I honestly don’t see improvement in his shooting.

His 3PA & % are basically identical.

Comparing him to Martin Jr, KJ shot similar % wise but made a lot more 3s in total compared to his rookie season.

31% from 3 isn’t good enough.

SamFisher and D-rock like this.
  2. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

But your assessment assumes KPJ is the guy which to me he isn’t. But I look at the bigger picture and long term and I think it would be a mistake to give up on a relatively young player not yet in his prime to gamble for low draft picks without even giving him a chance for a third year to develop and grow. He is 27 but has only been in the NBA for 2 years and mind you Aussie league is completely different from the NBA.

I look at the NBA and it’s rare for players to play extremely hard on the defensive side while also productive on the offensive end. 3 pt shooting is something that could always improve. I think you are overvaluing Martin who really doesn’t provide much threat on offense and even slows it down since he isn’t a dribble drive guy that uses quickness and agility to attack and finish at the rim. Instead he holds the ball and waits for handoffs. He can’t post so his offense comes off cuts, lobs, and interior passes from guards.

I do think any deal he would be in would have to be a package surrounding Wood or another player like Gordon or KPJ since there’s no proportional salary to take back as a stand alone trade. Now I can agree to the idea that if you could get a serviceable rotational player or several first round picks then sure I would be open to it. But realistically what do we expect to get back from contenders? I would imagine its low first round or second round picks and expiring contracts. If that’s the case its not worth giving him up for.

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Which player would you bet on ultimately reaching a higher level of 3 point shooting for his career:

the guy who is 21 years old and shooting 36.5%;

or the guy who is 26 years old and shooting 31.2%?

But this is exactly what the Rockets need with other primary ball handlers on the floor? :confused:

xtruroyaltyx, DaDakota and luckyman76 like this.
  4. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Look at guys like Lonzo Ball, Ariza, Jerami Grant and Rondo. Even Jae Crowder wasn’t necessarily a good 3 pt shooter for several years as he didn’t shoot a lot of 3s his first few years at a little more than 1 attempt a game with inconsistent efficiency. All the players I mentioned have turned into good or decent shooters from where they started. So yes shooting can always improve.

5. marinara

marinara Member

Yes it can improve for sure but KMJ 3 point shot HAS improved & I see more upside for him as a player than Tate by the improvements his made to his game.

I also think Tate is a above average to good defender but not a great one which doesn’t make up for his lack of a 3PT shot or virtually any offence apart from bully his way to the rim.

jcmoon likes this.
  6. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Yes since you are assuming KPJ is a starter for this team which I disagree. The pg position needs to change. I don’t see how a guy with offensive limitations like KMJ is “exactly” what the Rockets need. Another undersized 4. Overrated man defense. Not good finisher when he does try to drive when has the lane. For his shooting he shot .235 in APR and only had 2 hot months FEB-MAR over .400. He was shooting Tate like .320 and below the rest of the season. I love KMJ for what he brings but he isn’t the answer and isn’t a better player or fit than Tate.

7. marinara

marinara Member

What are Tates positives on offence though?

KMJ has more on the offence side.

ate is a better defender than KMJ but he doesn’t have his athleticism, whether or not KMJ is able to use it to be an effective defender is another question.

PeterKingX likes this.
  8. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

I can see the argument for KMJ. I like him but don’t think he is better than Tate although he brings a different dimension to the Rockets.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  9. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Trying to be objective and you have valid points as KMJ brings different things to the game. We agree to disagree.

10. marinara

marinara Member

I don’t think his better than Tate now but I don’t think Tate has much growth left in him. He is worth more to another team like the Heat than us IMO.

Whether KJ becomes a better player or not is unknown but I think with how the roster is he should be given an opportunity and the same time we can get the best value possible for Tate.

Seeing how far these young players go in the next season is important, then we can figure out FA or trades from there.

11. D-rock

D-rock Member

The closer to draft we get the more viable this solution becomes.

Tari Eason is 6'8 Tate with over 7'0 wingspan and better 3ball, steal rate and block rate.

#131 D-rock, Apr 26, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2022
    xaos, cmlmel77 and sydmill like this.
  12. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

i like Tate... as a bench guy on a min salary or something along those lines... good hustle guy... but he's never gonna be a starting player on an upper level team... he is who he is...

PeterKingX likes this.
  13. TheBeastSystem

In terms of sheer draft pick value, Tate is worth a bottom third first (20-30).

Anthony Lamb and Trevelin Queen need Tate's rotation minutes.

Contracts like Tate and Dort are ideal for a team like the Lakers who are looking to make a free agent play in 2023 because of their small cap hold.

If the Lakers strike out on moving Westbrook and picks for a superstar like Beal, Simmons, Jokic, etc. then a trade involving Tate to the Lakers could materialize.

Something like:

1. Wood, EGo, Tate, Nwaba for Russ, two first rounders, and a second.
    2. Wall, Wood, Tate for Russ, Nunn and a first and a second...or a couple first round pick swap rights in 27 and 29....
    3. Some other variation involving Russ, Tate, and other players for picks or pick swap rights.

Or possibly a different trade to a contender for a lower first round pick....

Clutch is right. Tate needs to go. Can't afford to pay him next summer while we're still building out the core of the team and awaiting possible free agent signings. Not to mention we gotta pay KPJr. if we don't trade him too.

jcmoon likes this.
  14. D-rock

D-rock Member

15. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Tate's bargain contract also means he can be a valuable add-on to move bigger contracts like John Wall. Very few teams (if any) will trade a FRP for John Wall straight up, but the Rockets can sweeten the pot with Tate.

16. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

still can't believe silas took tater as a starter throughout the 2021-2022 season!
    he was underachieved without any doubt,
    as a trade asset this summer? imho, market could be pretty niche, his miserable 3pt%, poor ball handling and passing gonna scare away many possible wooers.

daywalker02 likes this.
  17. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Tate needs to be on a team with better shooters and in a secondary playmaking role. Bruce Brown in Brooklyn plays a similar style. Brown is only 6'4" but is sometimes the roll man for KD crazily enough. He shoots a better percentage from three than Tate, but on very low volume and isn't really a floor spacer. With KD and Kyrie drawing so much attention from the outside he finds himself open around the hoop quite often.

Tate kind of plays like James Johnson with his ability to create in the post. Miami utilized Johnson well and could probably do the same for Tate, although he'd need to come off the bench for sure because Butler and Adebayo need shooters around them. I doubt Miami would give up any serious assets for a bench player.

D-rock and Bo6 like this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Typical we rate him higher than the outside market.

Plus he is on the worst team and his exposure is limited.

DeBeards likes this.
  19. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Exactly this - except that Brown is actually 2 years younger than Tate and probably has more upside.

If you have a chance to get any value from Poor Man's Bruce Brown, you do it.

20. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Meh. I know that on a winning team, he would look better. Would just take fewer shots, select more wisely. Keep polishing the shot in the summer. Will have more space on dribble drives. Won't dribble drive as much anyway on a good team. All the vets and youngsters are taking shots they would never otherwise take, I thought that much was obvious.

He's a good role player for a tanking or contending team imo, I'm happy to keep him or get draft capital in a trade. Would rather have him paired with the youngsters than Gordon, Wood, Wall, Schroeder though.

snowconeman22 and Stephen_A like this.