1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kenyon Martin Sr. Critical of the Rockets Processes, Approach to Winning, and Culture

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by vator, Apr 26, 2022.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

or with a significant role. And use off season to work on shooting and on ball D.

2. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

D-rock likes this.
  3. vator

vator Contributing Member

Yeah of course he wants his son to be on a good team. Who wouldn’t want that for their kid? I also think the fact that he would come out and say this in a public setting is an indicator that he doesn’t currently believe in what they’re doing and how they’re doing it. If he did, why would he say something like this at all?

Slyonebluejay, hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He is right, at some point you have to try to win or guys will leave....

DD

5. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

To be fair the Rockets are now just 2 yrs into a full rebuild with year one being more of a pivot on the fly with Russ and Harden’s departures.

how many years did it take all those teams he mentioned to get back to winning? The Suns, Nets, Pels, etc….? Are u f#cking kidding me? Those teams wandered in the wilderness for a lot more than 2 yrs before they got back to winning. Dude is focused on his son and doesn’t really care about the Houston franchise; that’s obvious. But he needs to have a little more patience. KJ is very lucky to be with Houston cause I doubt he would have had a real opportunity or found minutes on the floor with another franchise.

How bout being supportive rather than bashing an organization for not winning less than 2 yrs into a rebuild.

#25 Aruba77, Apr 26, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2022
  6. TimDuncanDonaut

Sounds reminiscent of Mobley's dad. They want their sons to be on a winning team. Or like you said, be more of a focus.

hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  7. DreamR

DreamR Member

The current winning teams want older more proven players, they don't have time to develop a 2nd year player who came from the second round

If he was drafted by one of those winning teams they would probably keep him on their g-league team

He isn't good enough yet to be in the rotation of a team competing in the playoffs. Maybe someday in the future once he has developed enough, but until that happens his dad needs to be patient and let things play out

34to11 and vator like this.
  8. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

hes a role player who cant create his own shot, what is there for houston to develop? He doesnt have handles. The thing he needs to do is become a dead eye shooter to get more minutes. Anyhow, once tate is traded he will.

fattz, Slyonebluejay and 34to11 like this.
  9. futilman

futilman Member

I'm not sure he meant winning team like PHX, GS, MIL, BOS etc. I think he was referring more to a team like TOR, MIN, NOP etc. These are teams that still are on the timeline to develop talent and on upward trajectory to win over the next 5Y.

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I get people not wanting extended losing, I don't either, but last season was literally the first year we went in expecting to be bad.

This "at some point we need to start winning " nonsense is stupid, this will be year 2 not 10.

11. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

It’s time for them to start winning, he’s right about that. I think they are on the right track. We’ll see. Hopefully they turn the corner and play better basketball next season.

sydmill and TexasRedd like this.
  12. vator

This is what I'm saying. We aren't even 2 years into a rebuild actually. We just completed the 1st full year. He's talking about New Orleans having a winning culture and the way they approach the game and the way they play. Please! I'll list the number of games they've won in the past 7 years. Yeah, they look to be on the way up now but come on.

13. TexasRedd

TexasRedd Member

Yeah they need to start actually trying to win games next year. Forget another year of tanking.

sydmill likes this.
  14. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

The dad knows being in a winning team gets you paid. KM Jr is doing well no need to rush anything.

15. vator

I like KJ, but tell me right now which playoff rotation he is in. I don't know if I can think of one.

On the other hand, he potentially has an opportunity to start on this team if he continues to improve.

DreamR likes this.
  16. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Mmm, this story is a tasty…
    E7E0037E-0A94-4991-8888-ABFA0C794DAA.gif

17. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Title of the thread is overblown

He wasn't that critical and even said some positive things.

His take was as a father and on a super micro scale.

Winning would be great, anyone would say that. KJ just happened to be drafted at a time right when a former championship level team was being dismantled for a rebuild. People seem to forget Harden was on this team just last season. This is the first full year of rebuilding.

A lot of those teams he mentioned, have been dog **** more often than not over the past 2 decades. The Rockets have been among the most consistently good franchises in the NBA for decades. Those really low lows are not commonplace for this franchise. You have to bottom out to rebuild and KJ is part of that super young core they are moving forward with. These guys getting a lot of minutes together at such a young age will pay off in the long run when this team is ready to compete again.

18. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

[​IMG]

19. vator

Dad doesn't seem to think he is part of that super young core moving forward as he wrapped up his thought at the end nor does he sound optimistic that it is going to pay off any time soon.

He left the door cracked a little after stating his opinion that maybe things can turn around, but it was more of a we'll see what they do attitude rather than I see them heading down the right path and building something special. I didn't hear any of that level of optimism.

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  20. thekad

thekad Member

I take Martin Sr.’s opinion on team-building as seriously as I take Lavar Ball’s.

Slyonebluejay and vator like this.