1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[WC First Round] (1)Phoenix vs. (8)New Orleans

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Apr 15, 2022.

?

(1)Phoenix Suns vs. (8)New Orleans Pelicans

Poll closed Apr 18, 2022.
  1. Suns in 4

51.9%
  2. Suns in 5

37.0%
  3. Suns in 6

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Suns in 7

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Pelicans in 7

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Pelicans in 6

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Pelicans in 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Pelicans in 4

11.1%
  1. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

Then… Scoot Henderson. As far as Draymond, the point was Golden State knew they hit with Draymond as a 3rd star as opposed to the average Harrison Barnes. Hopefully we hit with a star (Jabari Smith Jr) in this years draft. If so, we can afford one more crack at the lottery before our picks go to OKC etc. At that point we must shoot for contention.

#301 RocketsTerps, Apr 25, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2022
    jiggyfly likes this.
  2. TimDuncanDonaut

[​IMG] [​IMG]

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  3. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

people also forget Draymond was parked behind David Lee forever. It was only luck this dude started playing.

hakeem94 and Reeko like this.
  4. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

Jose “Grand Theft” Alvarado

This team is fun to watch. This undrafted Alvarado dude is definitely the next Beverley.

5. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

I wanted us to get Herb Jones
    Forever?! Draymond became the starter in his 3rd season when Steve Kerr was in his first year as head coach and never looked back. Luck had nothing to do with it. David Lee was an all-star but he was all offense. Draymond was defense. The rest is history.

6. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I mean, we are talking about the hub of a 3 time winning championship team. You were talking like GSW stopped tanking after Draymond. Nobody saw his skill until they were forced to use him.

hakeem94 likes this.
  7. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

What?! Golden State didn’t start winning championships until Draymond became the starter. He’s widely considered the most important part of their dynasty. Teams are still trying to figure out how to beat their death lineup when healthy. (now Jordan Poole replaces Iguodala; Wiggins replaces Barnes/KD) They weren’t “forced” to use Draymond. That was a calculated move by Kerr to add his defense and playmaking. Along with signing Iggy that summer. If Mark Jackson made that Draymond move he would still be the head coach. Every team is looking for their Draymond Green. Hopefully Usman Garuba can resemble him next season. Jae Sean Tate is a little undersized for the role especially without a consistent 3 point shot. Perhaps we find it with our 17th pick in the draft in the form of Jeremy Sochan.

#307 RocketsTerps, Apr 25, 2022
  8. Reeko

Reeko Member

by the time GS knew Draymond Green was a star, or even just a starting caliber player, it was the 14-15 season and they were already a contender…they drafted Steph and Klay and started trying to compete, Draymond was just an unexpected find for them…they didn’t need to be terrible in order to get him, he was a 2nd round pick

Rockets miss out on Victor or Scoot Henderson, then people will be talking about tanking the following year because we still need to draft a 3rd star

hakeem94 and jiggyfly like this.
  9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Nah, not luck. It was a playoff adjustment in 2014.

fwiw: Jackson benched Jermaine O’Neil in the 2014 playoffs to start Green in the last 4 games of a near upset vs LAC’s big lineup…7-game series.

the model of small-ball v big lineup was installed by Jackson. In fact, the OG Death Lineup (Curry, Klay, Green, Iggy, Barnes) closed game 6 when Lee fouled out early in the 4th. But Jackson had already used it to in Game 5, too.

Who knows if Kerr would have started Lee or Green, but he definitely had film of Green starting as well as the death lineup in a 7-game playoff series.

#309 heypartner, Apr 25, 2022
    ElPigto, DreamShook and hakeem94 like this.
  10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

How about all those other draft picks the Suns have with Ayton and Booker and how long did it take for them to win with Booker?

Are people forgetting how long the Suns sucked it was not a 2-year turnaround.

Also this is the 2nd rebuild, I think coaching is the biggest thing to get right as well as get the picks right.

RocketsTerps and roslolian like this.
  11. roslolian

roslolian Member

Cp3 is a big ass choker. He always does this in the playoffs how many times has his team lost to a lower seed?

And I even like the dude. He is always professional, always tries to win and brign leadership to the team. But he is a big time choker choked last year in the Finals about to choke big time here as well. And thats after hr got injured for like 2-3 months if the Suns werent so stacked they'd have lost even before playoffs began.

vator likes this.
  12. Reeko

Reeko Member

What about them? Cam Johnson was drafted with the 11th overall pick. They traded the 16th overall pick for Bridges. They were a playoff caliber team a year after drafting Ayton

they sucked for so long because they bombed multiple high draft picks

13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

those are lottery and near lottery picks

That's my point they have multiple years building depth and they hit on their draft choices in multiple years.

They drafted Booker in 2015, and it was 6 years before they got the right complementary pieces, they were terrible for most of that time.

My point being it takes more than 2 or 3 years to build a contender.

RocketsTerps and roslolian like this.
  14. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

This is the exact situation where the Suns could've used Eric Gordon. They really should've traded for him.

15. Juxtaposed Jolt

Imagine the whole arena chanting for an undrafted, undersized player, all because he went all out out on effort. And then you have #1 pick Ben Simmons. lmao.

@Reeko this Pelly crowd. Chills.

dmoneybangbang, heypartner and Reeko like this.
  16. Reeko

Reeko Member

nobody here is thinking that it takes 2 or 3 years to build a contender, so Idk why you’re saying that

we are talking about tanking and trying to be as bad as possible year after year as if u need 3 or 4 top 3 picks in order to be good

they drafted Booker, and then bombed in multiple drafts until Ayton…that’s why they took so long

17. Reeko

Reeko Member

Lord have mercy, that crowd

[​IMG]

it’s so beautiful

nothing beats going to a game and the arena is full and the home crowd is hype…TC would never, and I hate that with a passion

RocketsTerps, heypartner and hakeem94 like this.
  18. dmoneybangbang

I think the Pels got lucky with Booker injury, which is very key. However, they do have a great blueprint for the future (even without Zion) of strength and length.

RocketsTerps likes this.
  19. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Eh, I went to all the playoff games in 2017-18. TC got pretty lit, especially in the later rounds. Game 5 and Game 7 in the WCF against GS rivaled The Summit in 94 & 95. This is a front-running sports town, but if the Rockets ever got as good as peak Harden era again, I think the city would support them just as much as they do the Astros right now.

Rocket River likes this.
  20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I don't know where we disagree most lottery picks bomb so you don't know how long it takes until you get the right ones, so keep trying until then like the Suns.

You acting like the hard work is done, as if who we draft next year is going to be the guy or another guy.

The Suns got lucky hitting on lower lottery picks and 2 top of the lottery picks in a 5 year span, yet you somehow think we should be good after this draft?

RocketsTerps likes this.