1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NCAA Tournament Prospect Tracker

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by finsraider, Mar 17, 2022.

1. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I can't answer your question without knowing what you're assuming the best comparison for the other top prospects are. If we are to assume:

Holmgren: Best version of Porzingis
    Banchero: Best version of Randle
    Jabari: ?? I didn't catch what your opinion of what the "best version" of Jabari would be

Without knowing Jabari's comp, yea I would still take Porzingis because

The best version of Porzingis (the one that played in New York before he got traded) was playing at an All-NBA level on both ends of the floor. The reason why he was deemed unicorn back then was because what he was doing in 2017 was unheard of. Only he and AD were able to defend on one end of the floor but also score from pretty much all over the place on the other end. It MIGHT be commonplace now to see bigs hoist up 3s with wreckless abandon but that was just one facet of Porzingis' game.

The last season he was with New York the Knicks went 29-53. Porzingis only played in 48 games and the Knicks went 7-27 without him. With him they went 22-26. Not the best evidence that he's a winner but his presence (or lack thereof) is undeniable. On the flip side, what has Randle won? He's been a part of ONE team that's finished above .500 in his career and I'd argue that team's supporting cast was a lot better than any that Porzingis had played with when he was with the Knicks.

I'm curious as to why "equate to wins" is being used as a litmus test for Porzingis and Randle because both, by and large, are 2nd or 3rd bananas at best. I'm not picking either one to be the face of my franchise or the guy that I'm going to rely on to carry the team.

The reason you're surprised is probably because of recency bias--Randle has played "better" and played in more games in the past two seasons than Porzingis. It's taken Randle 5-6 years to get to where he is now whereas Porzingis has consistently produced the same numbers since his second season. The one and only huge mark against Kristaps is that the guy can't stay healthy.

I'd be fine with either Holmgren or Banchero (or Smith or Ivey) because this team needs talent, period. The more good prospects we draft the quicker we get back into being a contender. That being said, if we had the luxury of drafting a player that can contribute on both ends of the floor at an above average level, why wouldn't we pick Chet or Smith over Paolo?

2. D-rock

D-rock Member

DRTG is calculation for total defense.

Chet's DRTG was a ridiculous 78.7.

That is more than just rim protection.

Compare that DRTG with a player who I believe is best 2 way player in draft, who's combined steals and block rate is beyond than any player in his draft class - Tari Eason.

Eason has DRTG of 83.2.

Which is also ridiculous but there are zero players, including any wings or bigs, that come close to Chet's DRTG.

Especially in top 10 of the draft.

https://www.tankathon.com/players/c...n--keegan-murray--jabari-smith--jeremy-sochan

#2842 D-rock, Apr 22, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2022
    TimDuncanDonaut and cmoak1982 like this.
  3. D-rock

D-rock Member

Chet, like Draymond, will play the 4 and small ball 5.

And yes, I believe Chet can switch 1-5.

Switching does not mean locking down 1-5.

Many on CF cannot seem to grasp that distinction.

Reeko, MrButtocks and cmoak1982 like this.
  4. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Right. The ability to not be a liability is important.

D-rock, smoothie and Reeko like this.
  5. D-rock

D-rock Member

DRTG for best defensive players in 2022 Draft:

Evan Mobley 90.1
    Herb Jones 90.6
    Scottie Barnes 98.2

Reeko, TimDuncanDonaut and cmoak1982 like this.
  6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I don't think Banchero is a better Randle he has much more in his game than that and he is taller a longer.

I don't really have a comp for Holmgren because I don't know everything he can do at a high level skill wise because he was not asked to do much.

I think Smith will be a high level 3 and D guy his lack of dribble really bothers me.

I can admit I might be underselling Porzingus but it seems like he has put up points as a secondary option on bad teams and I worry about injury with Holmgren like Porzingus because he is so long.

I have not seen Chet perform offensively at a high level and the only thing I have seen defensively is shot blocking and he will not be as effective because he will be playing more on the wing and shot blocking is not that important in the NBA, plus with him being so thin players are going to go through him in the NBA.

Banchero performs offensively at a much higher level than either Smith or Holmgren and I want a guy I know can create his own shot in crunch time, I can coach around him defensively and get players that fit defensively, I also don't think Banchero is terrible at defense he could be league average pretty easily.

I am not out on Holmgren I just wish they had let him get in his bag more, my biggest problem is drafting him over the others because he is supposed to be defensively elite, what other player has been defensively elite at that size and height?

There seems to be a lot of projection of what Holmgren could be, I just have liked to have seen it, and shot blocking is very low on what I value if I am picking at the top of the draft.

I don't think Chet's and Jabari's two way play outweighs Banchero's multi talented offense.

7. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

This is the most fair take you have had and not one many can take issue with.
    I still think you’re overselling Banchero a bit, but if you’re right he would be the best player in this draft.

No Worries likes this.
  8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

It's been my take the entire time.

If you had not been getting in your feelings about Holmgren and then trying to troll me, you would see that.

I noticed you never found a post of me talking bad about Holmgren, that's why you never took the bet.

9. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

It literally has not.

I’m not doing the work for you, everyone knows you have hated on Chet and Jabari for a while now.
    That post was an outlier for you.

clutchdabear likes this.
  10. D-rock

D-rock Member

Chet, like Mobley, played the 4 in college. Not the 5.

And still put up block numbers and ridiculous DBPM and DRTG.

Chet, like Mobley, will play the 4 in NBA.

Chet, like Mobley, is high IQ.

Chet, like Mobley, should be plus defender in NBA.

Mobley was top 5 in rookie scoring, led all rookies in TRB, BLK and Double Doubles. Mobley also led KIA ROY most of season.

My expectations for Chet parallel what Mobley achieved.

As long as Silas does not F it up.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So you think Chet is going to be a 4 in the pros who patrols the lane?

How do you see playing Chet that his shot blocking is going to be effective?

12. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Banchero is closer to Jayson Tatum than Julius Randle if people MUST have a comp. He’s just as unique offensively as Chet is defensively. It’s pretty interesting to see Paolo get swept under the rug for role players that can’t command a team on their own if needed.

IF Jalen went down Paolo could run the show. Can Chet or Jabari operate without good guard play? I have my doubts.

jiggyfly likes this.
  13. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I think if you look at past top prospects the ones that were touted to be elite (or very very good) defenders tend to translate that over to the NBA. I can't recall (I'm sure there are examples) a prospect that was touted for being a great defender leading up to the draft, get selected in the top 3-5, and completely fail on defense. There's been instances where prospects have been projected to be an elite defender that's failed but those guys were so raw in other aspects of their game that they couldn't even get on the floor. Morey's pet Hasheem Thabeet might be a good example but I don't remember a player busting so bad in the NBA after being highly touted for his defense in college/GLeague/International play in recent memory.

It's fair that you can't judge Holmgren's potential because he wasn't showcased in Gonzaga but that shouldn't be a mark against the kid. Offensively Holmgren might not have shown everything in his bag but he was still able to put up 14-15 a night as a 2nd or 3rd option at Gonzaga. Banchero, by field goal attempts, was the first option on the Duke team, was scoring 17 points a night. Sure Banchero did much better than Chet in the NCAA tournament how much weight should one put into a player's performance in the NCAA tournament?

EDIT/UPDATE: If the Rockets take Banchero it would be interesting if we take a defensive big with the Brooklyn pick or sign an undrafted prospect to put in the middle that can run the be a new version of Capela. I'm not out on Banchero at all; I just see a huge hole in the team's defense that needs to be addressed sooner rather than later.

#2853 steddinotayto, Apr 22, 2022
    D-rock and cmoak1982 like this.
  14. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

How much weight should be put into the fact that Chet shrunk against ranked/elite college teams/players not just in the tourney but that was an issue all year minus the UCLA game. Coincidence?

15. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

Top 3 pick and I don’t really care who we get,

all top 3-4 guys look like studs either way.

16. Reeko

Reeko Member

if the Rockets ended up with a Porzingis, that’s a huge win

people forget how he looked prior to the ACL injury and then regressing and stagnating as a player

Kristaps was looking like 1 of the best young players in the NBA in NY…he was a top flight rim protector, and a big that could shoot and run the floor…also had a little bit of passing and off the dribble game

young Kristaps in NY is the type of player I would’ve taken with no hesitation in a James Harden trade

17. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

exactly. he's not as quick as mobley so he won't be keeping guards in front of him, but he's quick enough, and long enough to recover.

I happent to think chet will eventually be a center in the NBA. staying closer to the rim defensively, but also offensively I'm not sure he's got the burst off the dribble to get by 4's or wing defenders. I think he can present a challenge to other centers off the dribble.

my worry is that his dribble might not be as big a part of his game in the nba as in college. I'm not sure he can drive in a straight line without getting knocked off his course by stronger defenders at any position. same for being pushed off his spot when posting up. he might just be a shooter/passer on offense, but with his defensive ability that's fine. he's no porzingis in that sense. worse scorer, better passer.

#2857 smoothie, Apr 22, 2022
    jiggyfly and D-rock like this.
  18. Reeko

Reeko Member

don’t understand the Tatum comp for him at all…he is not as skilled as Melo offensively either

the other comps are gross and about as exciting or interesting as a bologna and mayo sandwich on untoasted white bread…I’ll pass

clutchdabear, D-rock and cmoak1982 like this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Member

Same way he did in college when he averaged 3.6 BLK as a 4.

Watch the vid, shot blocking is not just at rim and you'll also see Chet defending wings, guards as well as bigs on perimeter.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  20. D-rock

D-rock Member

If Banchero is the pick then Mark Williams must be the pick with #17.

Denovo likes this.