1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans 2022 Draft thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 11, 2022.

1. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I’m split on this, we need more weapons, mainly in the run game. We also need a ton of defensive help as well. This draft is deep in pass rusher, corner, receiver and RB so we should be able to address most positions

2. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

My 2 cents. Our defense first of all is hot garbage completely lacking in talent at every position. You’ve got some young guys who might end up being good in Lopez, Blacklock, and Greenard but the LBs and secondary are all replacement level at best. Can’t win with that D no way no how.

Secondly we have two good to great OT in Tunsil and Howard. Howard was best at RT but kept getting moved around. Just leave him there. Now the interior OL is trash which is why I’ve been banging the table for Linderbaum. I’d be happy with him at 13 but mocks show he is slipping into the late teens or 20s so if I were Casserio I’d move back up in the back of the first and nab him.

We just resigned Cooks and we have Collins. Another WR would be great but not at 3 or 13. Too many other needs. I want an elite TE as I feel they are far more valuable than a WR but there isn’t a TE worth a top selection this year.

We definitely need a RB but they aren’t worth a top pick and there isn’t that guy in this draft either. So maybe get Hall in the second round.

TL;DR we already have OT and WR and no 1st round worthy TE or RB.

Htown Legend and cmoak1982 like this.
  3. J.R.

J.R. Member

4. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

This is the one year where you can truly go BPA available and not go wrong (on paper). OL, pass rush and secondary could all use help. Grab a WR at 13? Sure why not.

There isn’t a RB worth taking in the 1st but I’m running to the podium if Breece Hall is there in the 2nd.

Rudyc281 and cmoak1982 like this.
  5. Xopher

Xopher Member

So basically the same offense as last year. I agree with Hall in the 2nd round. The OL was hot garbage last year and what the heck did Collins do? Any one of the 1st round WRs are better than him. So we should just run it back with the same offense?

6. Xopher

Xopher Member

Now I am fine with defense at 3, but 13 needs to be a WR and 37 needs to be Hall if available.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  7. raining threes

So many holes

Go BPA. Hunt for great players instead of filling needs at this point of the rebuild.

8. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Yes and no. Tunsil’s injury, Mills being thrown into the fire week 2, Collins coming off a COVID year, an absolute joke of a backfield were all big factors Not to mention Culley had absolutely no idea what he was doing out there. All these things *should* improve or could with an addition like Breece Hall. Caserio is not going to completely neglect the offense, but does he need to focus soley on it with the top picks, I don't think he does. Both sides need help equally IMO.

UTSA2step, Rudyc281 and cmoak1982 like this.
  9. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

10. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Not the same offense. Both Howard and Tunsil were injured last year. Collins, Jordan and Mills were rookies. If there was a no doubt TE I’d say grab him at 13 but there’s not. I’d trade back up for Linderbaum or even trade down from 13 for him. He’s going to be a stud. Lots of later picks for G, TE, RB, and WR.

Rudyc281, UTSA2step and cmoak1982 like this.
  11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

That’s last statement is what makes me want to go defense high, it’s a deep class for those positions you said.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  12. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i would have no problem going O line first, if there is a sure fire stud available (i haven't paid that much attention). Tunsil has 2 years left and he will be looking for another huge pay day. I would rather start a transition plan away from tunsil and then trade him this year or next for more draft picks

Rudyc281 and mightybosstone like this.
  13. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

14. Landry's Tooth

Just a thought, but maybe we say f the defense early in the draft... hear me out...

Move #37 this year, 2023 Cleveland #1, 2024 Texans #2 for Deebo...

Say the Giants or Jets want to move up from one of their picks to #3... we pick up an early 2 and a 2023 pick to replenish some of the lost value giving up for Deebo...

Then we go top WR with our first pick around 7-10, OL @ #13, and top RB at the top of the second round...

This would give Mills 3 good receivers to target and a much improved running game.

The idea is this...

1)A better offense keeps the defense off the field more to not wear then down as much.

2) If you fall behind you have a better chance of coming back.

3) If you're going to lose, higher scoring games are more entertaining for fans.

4) Generally defensive positions get smaller contracts as free agents (for a year from now)

If we have roughly 100 million in cap space but front load Deebos deal to say 35 million, we can sign the better players at the cheaper positions such as safety or defensive line and use next year's draft to pickup the more expensive pass rushers and cover corners...

With 65 million in cap space and several high picks they should be able to add 6 new defensive starters next offseason to rebuild the defense...

You could still get some projects in the 2022 draft 3 to 5 rounds for special teams and guys who might develop as pass rushers...

15. mightybosstone

I've flipped on this over the last 3-4 weeks. After it was clear Tunsil was staying, I was firmly in the "don't draft an OT" camp. But the more I've thought about it, the more I find myself being on board with the idea. You have to hit on this pick at 3 with someone who can be a longtime contributor and future building block. No better position to do that with than a future LT. I'd also be super supportive of a corner if they think Gardner is the guy at 3. I like a lot of the edge rushers, but it seems like there's some depth to that position in this draft, and I have some questions about Walker and Thibodeaux. Hamilton at 3 seems too high, as do the receivers.

DonkeyMagic likes this.
  16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

17. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

In other words no QB is worth # 3.

18. Xopher

Xopher Member

The only reason I could see someone trading to 3 is Houston is such a wild card and needs everything. A team may really want Sauce or Hutchison if he drops to 3. So they have no clue what Houston will do at 3. If someone thinks Houston may take the player they want, they might do a deal. Unlikely though. Maybe 13.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  19. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Cases can be made to go offense, defense or just BPA. Listening to Caserio, our team is assessing players from 1st rd to FA and also looking at the strengths and weaknesses in each position group. That's really good to hear.

At #3 I could see us going with...
    - Ekwonu to plug in at LG with potential to move to LT in 2 years
    - Best Edge that falls to us (Hutchinson, Thibodeaux, Walker or Jermaine Johnson)
    - Gardner or Hamilton depending on who we believe can have the largest impact; small chance Stingley rises this high, but just so many unknowns
    - Neal is also a consideration if Howard isn't considered a keeper or we want him to start at LG as well
    - Finally I could see us moving down somewhere in Top 10 if we can get some more 2nd day picks or another 2023 1st.

*Personally, I like Hutchinson, Hamilton and Ekwonu in that order, but believe that Caserio will get us a great player. Either Hutchinson or Hamilton will be tone setters on defense. Hutch is likely gone in Top 2 picks and #3 may be too early for Hamilton. Ekwonu would help with run blocking and add some nastiness to that OL, which should help overall offensive performance--hard to argue with that.

At #13, if any of those 10 fall then I hope we grab one of them or Jameson Williams who looks like an elite playmaker that could force defenses to game plan differently.

Rudyc281 and cmoak1982 like this.
  20. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

giphy.gif

mikol13, Rudyc281 and Htown Legend like this.