1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Looking to purchase a stationary bike.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jiggyfly, Mar 23, 2022.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Now it's time for slightly NSFW gifs:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Sounds like a good reason to buy a Dyson vacuum to accompany it and clean up the mess. lol. :)

lol. I have a Nordictrack elliptical I've had for about 17 or 18 years, though I don't use it as much as the exercise bike. Ok, so I don't use it much at all. I get on it every once in a while. The bike is much better on the knees for me. BTW, if you're bleeding out of your butt, maybe you should get a colonoscopy... just some friendly advice.

3. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Well, you already know me. And yes the iRobot top model, too.

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

The final nails in the wall would be a Tesla and Apple products. If those apply, then... *sigh*. :D

jiggyfly and AroundTheWorld like this.
  5. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

See the Model 3 thread bro. And yes, everything Apple, top specs, pretty much every product. Including the Pro XDR.

Basically, I'm a total marketing victim.

Dr of Dunk likes this.
  6. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

The Schwinn IC-4 and the Sunny models are both really good options if you want a stationary bike and don't want the extra costs involved of content. And even then you can subscribe to peloton digital app or Apple Fit etc and enjoy streaming content. There are plenty of youtube videos and review that will compare and contrast.

I bought a Peloton last June. Looked at them for years and researched them versus Nordictrack bikes (which I will admmit I was atracted due to better virtual MTB content and the auto lift and resistance features). Since I was big into riding (including MTB racing) I was pretty confident I would enjoy the bike. I ride almost every morning... usually 45-60 minutes a day. Some Saturdays I push that up to 2 hours. I have lost almost 40 pounds, lost two pants sizes and approaching a third. I also feel better. It also inspired me to lift (including some of the weight lifting content through Peloton).

Many years ago my wife wanted a treadmill and after that barely got used she wanted Nordic Track skiing machine. Both mostly functioned as cloths hangers so I definitely know wasting money on fad exercise machines.

But gaining fitness is important, however you choose to do it and whatever amount you choose to spend on it. Those that view pelotons as wastes of money, and those that buy Mirrors and Tonals and elaborate weight lifting equipment are both right. Me... if I had the extra money I'd love to get a Tonal (really cool way to manage your weight training) and a rowing machine (another great form of exercise). I can't afford them... so I bought a $75 OneTwoFit pullup bar for the garage.

AroundTheWorld, jiggyfly and Xerobull like this.
  7. Xerobull

Awesome post. This is the essence of staying healthy.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  8. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Some of us use our treadmills. I've got hundreds of miles on mine. The problem is I tend to use it in cycles. I'll do a nine month stretch of near daily using it and then I won't use it for a while. Then, repeat. I've also got major action usage on my Bowflex.

Those both turned out to be good purchases. Not everyone uses all their exercise equipment to hang clothes on. I admit my recumbent bike is good for hanging things on and hasn't paid for itself in my mind. DEVIL!

AroundTheWorld, Rashmon and NewRoxFan like this.
  9. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Save yourself some money and just buy this:
    [​IMG]

Sajan and Surfguy like this.
  10. Newlin

Newlin Member

I wouldn’t mind having one of these work out bikes. But, it looks like it could lead to unwanted perineum pain. I don’t want to chance it.

11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Anybody familiar with Harrison bikes?

I really like this bike but I am afraid it's too good to be true.

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

13. Xerobull

I have a hard opinion about it.

[​IMG]

jiggyfly, AroundTheWorld and Surfguy like this.
  14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

If you're still looking, there's a good discount on the IC4 being talked about here.

jiggyfly and NewRoxFan like this.
  15. NewRoxFan

That is a great bike at a screaming good price, plus you get a year's subscription. And you can link to Peloton digital or Zwift content. Since Peloton dropped the price of the bikes slightly but increased the cost of content (grrr) folks should be seriously looking at alternatives like the Schwinn (which from a hardware POV is almost as good as the Peloton).

16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

17. famicom

famicom Member

I bought the Norditrack 22si last year, I've been using it the past year about 4-5 times a week. The wife already dropped out.

Some pros: auto-adjusts inclines, built-in fan, different trainers, view different trails/cities or spin classes, family is only $100/year (could be bought cheaper possibly by buying gift cards online) and can be shared up to 5 people vs. $60/month Peloton.

Bottom line is it gets me to use the machine routinely and my body feels more fit from using it, which makes it well worth the money spent and is what machines value comes down to.

NewRoxFan likes this.
  18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I'm going to tell your wife you threw her under the bus.:D

19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This bike has some good reviews, and it has a really nice display with different work-outs.

It's by nautilus so I think it will last, any comments?

20. NewRoxFan

The one thing I really wish Peloton would work on that Nordictrack has done way better is having "scenic" (the term Peloton uses) rides that closely simulate rides, especially MTB rides. Perhaps the auto-incline is the big factor (along with auto-resistance). There are a few scenic rides that are instructor-led, but other than nice looking scenery and the occasional interesting insights the studio rides are the main content.