1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 4 between Luka and the Mavs and Shai and the Thunder. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Can people stop comparing Jalen to Zach Lavine?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by my time to shine, Apr 17, 2022.

1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Green is a less chucking version of T-mac that isn't Charmin tissue soft.

my time to shine and Jontro like this.
  2. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

You could make the same argument for any other player in NBA history. Iverson, Kobe, McGrady or Carter would all have taken significantly more 3s in today's era.

In addition, Lavine and Beal's 3PAr is nowhere near as high Jalen Green, even in their last few seasons. In Beal's last 3 seasons, only 31% of his shots were 3s. In Lavine's last 3 seasons, only 41% of his shots were 3s.

For Green, 48% of his shots are 3s in his rookie season alone. The rate at which Green takes 3s as a percentage of his shots far exceeds even Anthony Edwards in his rookie season (42% of his shots were 3s).

In addition, most players tend to attempt more 3s as they develop, not less. Green is attempting 48% of his shots from 3s as a rookie already. It's reasonable to believe this will increase to 50% or more (which would make his 3PT attempt rate closer to the likes of Steph Curry) especially if he can further improve his shooting.

my time to shine likes this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Lol because the Tmac Kobe Shaq Duncan Garnett Dirk era was so soft compared to now?!

4. rockbox

I love how you grouped Tmac with bunch of guys that actually won a playoff series and had a true shooting percentage above 55 percent.

harold bingo likes this.
  5. my time to shine

How about Ja Morant then? I know Ja doesn't shoot 3s as much and gets to the line more but that's a much better comparison than Zach SCRUBine

I'll take a jalen green to ja morant comparison anyday. Zach just isn't in this class of players.

6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Nope. Morant is an otherworldy facilitator compared to Green. A true PG who averaged 10 assist in college, and 7 assist his rookie season. It's like saying K.Leonard is a similar player to LeBron, they have a lot of similarities in their offense but there's a HUGE gap in the playmaking.

LaVine is a much better comp as he's more of a true 2G, with that being said, LaVine is also a superior facilitator compared to Green coming into the league, hopefully Green can develop his handle and passing to reach LaVine's level as near 5 apg guy

7. my time to shine

Lavine sucks man.

I'm not accepting that comparison.

8. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

otherworldly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Right now Lavine/Beal hybrid is the closest comp. If he reaches that level it’s an absolute win. If he goes above that we could have an all timer

10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This why this is the best forum on the internet.

You get random hilarious **** like this, can you imagine somebody just seeing this and not understanding any context?

You win my guy.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  12. YOLO

YOLO Member

not really that bad of a comparison, especially with the progress Lavine has made to this point to be better since being in the league. Shouldn't be much of a fuss at all

Denovo and cmoak1982 like this.
  13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I was impressed with Green's passing at the beginning of the year, I stopped really watching during the losing streak, did Green not continue the play making he was doing?

I never really thought of Lavine as a playmaker, he just puts so much pressure on a defense he gets people open for easy shots, did not know he was a 5ast pg guy.

14. apollo33

apollo33 Member

His passing is rudimentary imo, he throws good bounce passes in the PnR here and there, but his vision seems limited when he tunnels on scoring. I don't recall him throwing many passes to the corners based on how the opposing team rotates.

jiggyfly likes this.
  15. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Fine, I'll take this bait. Not like we haven't all be grinding this axe here for 15 years.

T-Mac was a triple double threat who had a decent rebounding and assist rate although he is thought of as a pure scorer. If Jalen Green ends up being Tracy McGrady we should be ecstatic.

Much of what you said about McGrady we could probably also say about Anthony Davis on the Pelicans.

Now let's not surround Green with washed up role players and use our picks to build a versatile team with multiple points of attack and two way players so teams can't constantly double him. Teams win playoff series.

16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I can see that, maybe I was more impressed with his wanting to pass than anything else.

17. PooleBoi7

PooleBoi7 Member

*checks stats*

Zach is averaging 25 and 5 and has been suffering with a near injury for half the season. Jalen can average a thousand points for all I care. I just need this team to bring us some Ws. And as for the Beal comparison; Beal is/was amazing, but the Wizards are continuous garbage so it's nullified.

18. rockbox

If he ends up Tracy McGrady, we will be looking at a decade of first round exits. Tmac was a chucker and sucked donkey balls. He was less efficient than Russell Westbrook, had less assists, had less rebounds, and had less playoff success. Tmac was a very poor man's Russell Westbrook.

https://stathead.com/basketball/pcm...m=0&player_id1=mcgratr01&player_id2=westbru01

19. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

When he came into the league he was touted as a combo guard and was listed as a PG his rookie season. He averaged over 5 assists per 36 his rookie season.

Like Green, he's not a natural PG. When you're as athletic as they are, and can score as they can, the only way you don't average 4+ assists when getting starter minutes is if your IQ is rock status.

I expect Jalen to get quite a bit more attention next season when the scouting reports adjust, and when that happens his assist should start to go up.

jiggyfly likes this.
  20. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

There were so many clanks on the rim during a certain portion of the season when a player shot from a Green pass. Wide open over and over. It leveled out at the end of the year though to something more normal.