1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What player do YOU want to select in the 2022 NBA Draft?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Bo6, Apr 19, 2022.

?

What player do YOU want to select in the 2022 NBA Draft?

1. Chet Holmgren

43.2%
  2. Paolo Banchero

8.3%
  3. Jabari Smith

45.8%
  4. Jaden Ivey

1.9%
  5. Other

0.8%
  1. D-rock

D-rock Member

Very well articulated even though we disagree on ultimate conclusion.

Nicely done.

Denovo, CXbby, Milos and 1 other person like this.
  2. D-rock

D-rock Member

Yao broke because JVG and China bulked him up too much and too quickly then ran him into the ground with nonstop play.

Yao had a perimeter game as well before JVG got ahold of him.

But Yao and Chet is not a very good comparison at all, their bodies are very different and their play style will be very different as well.

3. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe. Watching guard oriented teams like Phoenix, Goldenstate or the 17-18 Rockets just render big men useless scares me about using that pick for Chet. Chet's lateral quickness is not like Mobley's. It's not Chet's frame that scares me. It"s his ability to guard faster guards that will probably attack him on the offensive end.
    Funneling the player to the paint didn't exactly work out so well for Utah right now against teams like Golden State or that Houston team.

jiggyfly likes this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Member

If Markkanen can play the 3, so can Wood.

PWR, Corrosion and cmoak1982 like this.
  5. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Chet has no issues laterally. Perimeter defense will be a plus for him, mobility and fluidity at his size/length is only matched by a few in the league. Mobley being one of them

JusBleezy and Corrosion like this.
  6. D-rock

D-rock Member

Not sure Chet can stay in front of players with elite first step, his lateral agility is nowhere near Mobley's.

But Chet has high end ability to recover when beat due his elite length and his ability to flip hips like a cornerback.

7. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I disagree on the lateral agility, he’s not as quick as Mobley but he’s not far off.
    Chet’s length and hip flip is unbelievable.
    Hand dexterity is elite.
    He will get beat, Mobley gets beat. It happens, but he will win more than he loses.

8. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Mobley does have a better first step laterally, I think Chet hips and second step is what saves him.
    The end result is similar even with the routes to get there being slightly different.
    Mobley is a plus athlete. Chet is a good athlete. Both are still freaks for their size.

JusBleezy, Corrosion and D-rock like this.
  9. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

this is a great argument. the one point I disagree with is jabari having a lower floor than banchero. I think they have the two highest floors in the draft.

if worst case scenario for jabari is a high end starter, but not quite all star, who provides shooting and defense, a la mikal bridges, JJJ, anunoby, etc.. and he has the potential to get better? I'm very happy with that selection. this draft doesn't have any tier 1 superstar potential players like last year. the top 4 are all tier 2 potential all stars / high end starters. you can choose to be ok with that as an outcome, or roll the dice with higher risk/reward with chet or banchero. personally I think jalen will prove to be a good #1 option, and because I think he'll be ready sooner rather than later, I'd rather not risk the lower floor prospect this time around.

but that being said, I'm sure I might change my mind. these guys are all pretty close. and I wouldn't fault anyone for ranking them differently. we should all be really happy if we're lucky to get any of them.

10. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

I’d like to see an ‘undecided’ option. There’s not a consensus top pick and a legit case can be made for all 4 guys. I’m not sure I can make a choice until after the draft combine and we have more data.

saleem and Corrosion like this.
  11. Milos

Milos Member

Dude his guards killed him all season

Never caught the ball in rhythm with space or on the move

Everything stationary and smothered to make him put it in the floor, where he must make major strides to become a true go-to scorer IMO

A creator with the gravity of Green (or Cade if DET) will unleash his true potential

D-rock likes this.
  12. dmoneybangbang

I'm back towards leaning to Jabari but it keeps going back and forth with Chet. Jabari's handle is a big question mark towards his upside, but the kid is a worker. The draft order can't come any sooner.

13. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

That's my take as well.
    We have facilitators in: Porter, Green, JC, Sengun (in the post), ?Tate?

Jabari is an excellent left corner 3-point shooter.....Rockets need tall 3-pt shooters in the corners

Rockets could run up the score with with facilitators attacking from above the Break 3
    (or Sengun out of the post) with Jabari cutting along the baseline for dunks/lay ups.

Chet shot chart is good straight away 3-pt. Which is from where most of our facilitators attack.
    Now Chet could slide over as our facilitator attacks or screen for PnPop.....but so can Jabari.

I just don't like so many facilitators. Yes we remove Eric Gordon and Wood USG% but
    Porter/Green/Sengun&JC will go up as well. Many scorer's need to facilitate to get going.
    Jabari is one of the few that can just shoot. Doesn't need so many touches.

Not year one anyway. Imo. Too many chefs spoil the soup. What other team treats 4
    or more players as number 1 options? It just weird.

Milos and D-rock like this.
  14. CXbby

CXbby Member

I was saying Jabari has a higher floor than Banchero, due to his two way ability and better outside stroke, so we don't disagree. If you shoot and play D you basically can't be that bad. I do agree that Banchero has a high floor too with his size and skill, passing.

Chet has the highest ceiling
    Jabari has the highest floor
    Paolo has the highest average

You draft for average (most likely) outcome, imo

jiggyfly, xaos and Denovo like this.
  15. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

My preference, in order:

Chet
    Paolo
    Ivey
    Murray

If Jabari is available at our pick, I trade back 1 to 3 spots for a nice haul to someone with a huge boner for him.

16. D-rock

D-rock Member

Drafting for average = Chet

His efficiency and production in limited minutes and as 2nd option are ridiculous.

Next is Jabari imo.

And they both have the highest upside with Ivey just a tick behind.

17. D-rock

D-rock Member

18. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

you're right we're in agreement, but add an additional variable... the likelihood they reach their average. one thing I love about jabari and Ivey is how much they improved since last year. last year at this time it was chet, and banchero were considered a tier above the rest. hardy, duren, nzosa, Houstan, jovic, baldwin were all on the same tier as ivey and jabari. some of those guys fell off... some rose to the higher level of competition in college or international pro leagues. jabari not only rose to the college level of competition, but improved even more to join the ranks of chet and banchero. ivey entering his sophomore year took huge steps forward in shooting and playmaking, although the extra year in college helps.

still there is a proven track record for Jabari's improvement, reports of his incredible work ethic, obsession with details, and wanting to be coached, that makes me think he's not only got the highest floor but possibly the safest bet to continue improving as well. not just his play style, but his work ethic and desire to improve fits right in with jalen and alpy.

of course chet and banchero don't get to where they are by not being hard workers, but there's something to be said for having a track record of making great leaps forward.

CXbby likes this.
  19. CCorn

CCorn Member

Not the scrubby white guy

20. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I find it comforting that some of the same people that wrote off Jalen Green last year are doing it again with Paolo Banchero this year! Bodes well for the Rockets!

Banchero
    Jabari
    Chet
    Murray
    Ivey