1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

What player do YOU want to select in the 2022 NBA Draft?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Bo6, Apr 19, 2022.

?

What player do YOU want to select in the 2022 NBA Draft?

1. Chet Holmgren

43.2%
  2. Paolo Banchero

8.3%
  3. Jabari Smith

45.8%
  4. Jaden Ivey

1.9%
  5. Other

0.8%
  1. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

what he said

2. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Chet

D-rock and cmoak1982 like this.
  3. Raven

Raven Member

When I look at Chet's legs, I hear a loud snapping sound. Jabari all the way.

4. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Hmm, I remember some pretty obnoxious comments from Messers PJax and ShaqO’ that sounded pretty similar about some dude the Rox drafted #1 from far, far away.

I am so glad that fellow was a Rocket. A fine ball player. A terrific person.

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Interesting because I don't remember that. Yao always had big legs. He did have a small upper body in the beginning.

#25 Haymitch, Apr 19, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2022
  6. Milos

Milos Member

Sorry for Bari & Tari
    but I'll settle Chet if we pick #2

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  7. ilovehtownbb

ilovehtownbb Member

I put Ivey before smith

BamBam and Corrosion like this.
  8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

It's amazing how many people think shot blocking is playing amazing defense, or that it's a reason to pick a guy at the top of a draft.

My guy is Banchero I go for the multi skilled big guy who has shown he can be the focal point of an offense at the highest of level.

I think this narrative that Banchero is terrible defensively is bogus.

I also think people forget that Banchero is 19 years old, so he has as much upside as anybody while having the highest floor.

#28 jiggyfly, Apr 19, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2022
    red5rocket, htownrox1, Bo6 and 4 others like this.
  9. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Vote and put it down that u Stan for banchero then.

JusBleezy, D-rock and cmoak1982 like this.
  10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I did that with my post.

htownrox1 likes this.
  11. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

I think all four are special and I’m probably gonna be happy no matter who we take as long as its in the top 4. Jabari/Ivey/Banchero/Chet is my preference in order, my ONLY concern with Chet is his long term durability. I’ve done alot of defending for him and would still be ecstatic if we chose him even if he’s my least favorite of the 4.

jiggyfly likes this.
  12. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I picked Jabari. He's turning 19 during draft and with proper weight and conditioning will be able to improve his ability to score inside. Ball handling will also be able to improved and a quick fix. He has great defensive instincts and isn't a liability going against quicker guards. Can hit the outside shot as well.
    We can draft a CLint Capella or a rim protector with a late pick or sign one.
    The offense will flow through Jalen Green and KPJ. We don't need a Chet.

13. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Doesn't it depend on what pick we have??

You listed 4 options and there is a 48% chance we pick at 5...

groovemachine and D-rock like this.
  14. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Chet but I'm warming up to Jabari.. The team as orchestrated today is a bubble contender... Get rid of a few talented rotational players ( Tate, KMJ, Jaygup) for a proven veteran to strengthen the bench with size or shooting.. Grab a serviceable SF in FA.. And you have a complete playoff contending team to build on the fly...

D-rock and cmoak1982 like this.
  15. CXbby

CXbby Member

Surprised to see as of this moment there's 83 votes total and I'm the only one to vote for Paolo.

I think while evaluating prospects you don't want to fall into the trap of ranking by best case outcome rather than the average outcome.

Chet has the highest best case outcome. (At his ceiling, Dpoy stretch big)
    Jabari has the highest worst case outcome. (At his floor, high quality two way role player)

For Paolo, his ceiling is not as tantalizing as Chet, and his floor is lower than Jabari. But ceiling and floors are a small subset of the possible outcomes. For the AVERAGE outcome, I think Paolo is higher than both assuming he is a playmaking do it all 6'10 WING which I see him as, rather than a PF that lacks defense. As a wing, his size becomes a huge asset and mismatch, coupled with his passing ability I just see few instance where he averages out to anything less than at least fringe all star level.

No he is not the best fit next to Jalen and Sengun, in fact he is by far the worst fit. But he has the best chance to become another Jalen or Sengun. For the worst team in the league that's far more important than finding the best fit.

htownrox1, Bo6, jiggyfly and 6 others like this.
  16. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

PJax and Shaq, in addition to ridiculous sophomoric mimicry, ‘worried’ about him breaking from physical pain. Likely had never, or at least barely, seen him. Conversation about CH is tangentially similar. Worrisome, certainly, tho I suspect he has not approached his maximum physical maturity.

D-rock likes this.
  17. Milos

Milos Member

Well said
    I just think all of Paulo's best work is done with the ball in has hands

Bari & Chet do so much MORE without the ball
    I want that dimension added to a team already featuring Green, Sengun, KPJ, Christopher

Paulo would be perfect for the Magic
    The alpha around which all their other good young pieces can orbit

We already have ours in Green

18. CXbby

CXbby Member

Yao was the reason I joined this site over 20 years ago now. But let's not forget, he DID break, physically. I think that is a legitimate concern with Chet and has to be factored into the calculus whether his body can hold up and for how long.

19. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

Thats a bold statement saying the Rox don't need Chet. Any team would be lucky to have him.

Corrosion, D-rock and cmoak1982 like this.
  20. MystikArkitect

Chet easy. Highest upside, can be 3rd or 4th banana while he develops and will be catching lobs all day from Jalen and KPJ. Will make an immediate defensive impact and will run the league defensively in his 3rd or 4th year.

He's basically better Mobley. Who should win RotY.

Y2JT and cmoak1982 like this.