1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen & Chet

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by htownfan_9210, Apr 15, 2022.

1. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Conference matters but keep in mind Holmgren is a skinny freshman and put up those efficiency numbers. Very impressive for sure. The key is his fit alongside Alpi/Green/KPJ. Amazingly complimentary to what we have.

If we'd not got Green last year, I'd be more on Banchero. That being said, I still thinknhe is a future all star.

How do y'all the core of

Sengun/Garuba
    Banchero/KMJ
    Eason/Queen
    Green/Jaygup
    KPJ/Nix

Would fare in the 2023-2024 season?

Milos and D-rock like this.
  2. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Probably play in tournament at best, but keep in mind we'll almost surely have another top 10 pick and a ton of money in FA before that season begins. I'd wager at least 3 of those guys will be gone via free agency or trade.

3. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

very fun to watch wins dont even matter for me ever...i just want fun competitive games and players to give effort and hustle...

4. D-rock

D-rock Member

So the excuses only apply for Banchero amirite?

5. D-rock

D-rock Member

I see that you care nothing for defense, prefer to completely ignore it.

But basketball is not played like that.

eliefor3 likes this.
  6. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

You're not wrong. Banchero is better offensively over Chet by about the same margin that Chet is better defensively over Paolo. Its not even a genuine topic of discussion among REAL analysts. This team is closer to being an elite offense than an elite defense. One guy isnt going to change the defensive culture or identity of a team. There needs to be a systemic overhaul and a complete team buy-in to become a good team defense. I'm with those who would rather just try to outscore the other team for another year, play exciting basketball and hope the defense can play well enough in critical moments to win a few games. This team isnt going to contend for anything other than lottery position next year anyway.

Stephen_A, randerson and Milos like this.
  7. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Chet > Banchero

It’s really not close at this point. Efficient offense plus elite defense is better than non efficient offense and average defense.

BHannes2BHonest, Y2JT and D-rock like this.
  8. TimDuncanDonaut

For Banchero, the question partly becomes, if we want an offensive 6'10" big who can get his own but maybe not great on defense... don't we have this person already? A cheaper Wood but without the 3pter.

Maybe Sengun's 3pt will improve. Banchero currently at 33% 3pt. In some system that might be ok, but is anyone going to convince Silas to stop using 5-out. We might run into the spacing issue again.

Banchero touted as more NBA ready, I see him fit with Blazers, a four that can score with Dame. POR is on a much shorter turn around timetable.

BHannes2BHonest, Reeko, bmelo and 2 others like this.
  9. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Chris Wood is a black hole on offense. Ball gets sticky with him on the court - he has nowhere near the court vision and passing acumen as Paolo, but he has a better 3 point shot currently like you say. For me noticing that Wood and Banchero share similar FT splits encourages me that Paolo will be able to be at least an average outside shooter in the NBA. He is best in the corners and for us that is a good thing since we are below league average at those shooting spots.

I really hope that Sengun does improve his outside shot. Its pretty bad. Especially for a guy who calls himself "Always". Regardless he and Banchero would feast because of their insane IQ.

Im perfectly fine with Jabari or Chet too (in that order) as long as we get a skilled big to add to the talent in the backcourt.

10. D-rock

D-rock Member

Great questions that everyone should be asking.

11. D-rock

D-rock Member

Wood 3P% does not align with his FT%.

Wood is an anomaly that way so using that comparison as a plus for Banchero is disingenuous.

Banchero FT% on it's own is good indication that he can improve his 3P% but I'm more concerned about his EFG% and TS%.

He's just not an efficient shooter right now.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  12. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I better be careful how I respond lest I continue to be deemed a liar right? :rolleyes: Using an "anomaly" is disingenuous?? LOL how so? Wood in college was an 75% free throw shooter and a 26% 3 point shooter.

Here a little "light" lunchtime read on the topic:

Im not worried about Bancheros efficiency because he wont be tasked with being the highest usage guy (at least not on this team) and he can enjoy the spot up shooting that the other big guys have enjoyed. Im more concerned with Jabari or Chet having strong defense played on them or double teamed and asked to put the ball on the floor and make the right play.

Some guys try to paint a picture of an inept shooter with Paolo and it simply isnt the case. He will be fine. Not being "efficient" now is not the end of the world for a guy who offers so much potential in the other offensive columns.

All factual or am I making sht up again?

13. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

The biggest upside to Chet is also that he has all of this skill that will get better WITHOUT the body yet. This guy is a hard worker. At the NBA level they are going to essentially take over his body on building weight. It may not have happened at the college level but it will happen in the NBA weight room after two seasons. He will fill out and maintain his athleticism and then he is deadly and people start making comparisons to Garnett instead of Bradley. Garnett was wafer thin and bulked up and became a damn beast. It takes time.

D-rock, Boii and cmoak1982 like this.
  14. bmelo

bmelo Member

I really don't buy Banchero hype especially with how many mouths to feed on offense we already have. Its gonna be Jalen and KPJ show give me someone who can & IS WILLING to blend in. Banchero will be good in Orlando or OKC but we need system player like Jabari

BHannes2BHonest, Y2JT and D-rock like this.
  15. D-rock

D-rock Member

Then what point are you trying to make then?

That FT% is NOT a good indicator for 3P% improvement?

OR that Wood is an outlier (since you are overly sensitive about word anomaly) that his 3P% and FT% efficiency flipped from college to NBA?

Or that Banchero will have similar transition to NBA as Wood, flipped FT% and 3P%.

Just talking out of your ass without a point must be tiresome.

And Banchero is at his best with ball, so low usage Banchero is not a better Banchero.

Opposite of Holmgren, who has been ultra efficient while being low usage.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  16. D-rock

D-rock Member

Definitely accurate, many posters on CF are unnerved about Chet Holmgren.

Too focused on his weight to see what he's actually produced and how efficiently he's done so.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  17. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

I can't imagine how scary wembaya will b when he enters the league. Read somewhere he took a dump on holmgren when they played.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  18. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I really don't like this outlook. Sure, the defense is bad, but you can build it up one player at a time. If Chet is as good as some say he is, I do think he can be the start of a defensive turnaround. You have to start somewhere. I just can't get behind an "our defense is bad so we might as well ignore it" mentality.

19. bmelo

bmelo Member

`
    We already have Banchero and his name is Christian Wood. With only difference that Wood is proven

Y2JT likes this.
  20. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Thats fair if that is what you extrapolated from my comment. I'd be fine with Chet as long as he blocked shots, made open jumpers and stayed the hell out of Jalens way. Many different ways to skin a cat.