1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

With the 5th pick in the draft, the Houston Rockets select....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Apr 11, 2022.

?

Who do you want?

Poll closed Jun 24, 2022.
  1. Jalen Duren

8.4%
  2. Johnny Davis

0.4%
  3. AJ Griffin

15.3%
  4. Bennedict Mathurin

5.6%
  5. Keegan Murray

34.5%
  6. Other - Name your player in your post

10.0%
  7. Shaedon Sharpe

25.7%
  1. roslolian

roslolian Member

My bad I misread "pick up a center we really need" as get a backup center.

Regardless Turner is already 26 this year so he doesnt fit the Rox timeline. I dont watch the Pacers but considering they also suck even with him, Haliburton and Duarte Turner isnt gonna do much for this Rox team. And if he aint gonna do much we should just go with someone around Jalen and Sengun'a age.

2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Turner is no Gobert on the defensive end but he's still really really good. The only hang up is the guy has been injured for various reasons but, hey, I'd rather see how this team looks with a defensive big than to roll with Wood for another season. Turner also knows his role in the grand scheme of things and isn't going to come in thinking he's the 1st or 2nd option on offense.

3. roslolian

roslolian Member

But whats the point he is 27 next year and over the hill in 4 years when Jalen and Sengun are ready to compete.

If he is making a huge impact on the Pacers you can argue getting him to stop the rebuild era but the Pacers also suck even with him and Haliburton who we all know is a stud. Going from worst team to 30% wr team that aint worth giving up assets for you just make your lotto make intentionally bad but still lose majority of your games thats like doublewhammy of self fail.

steddinotayto likes this.
  4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Fair points. It was a hypothetical a threw out there and I'm certainly not willing to die on that hill.

roslolian likes this.
  5. TimDuncanDonaut

I don't disagree that Morey at times over-share. Stone is his own person, which is fine. Things like media day (beginning of season), after trade deadline press conference (mid) and exit-interviews (end), are for the fans. In a rebuild where things are unclear; IMHO having a vision and sharing with the fanbase is important. He's kind of checking the minimum of boxes as far media obligation. With a few other sit-downs here and there.

Playing close to the vest for draft/trade strategy is fine, but within reason.

In that tweeted video he says: "I'm focused on our players..." cool cool :cool:
    Then he says "I don't think we have an area of need" :eek: <- me
    We've have lots of area of need. Particularly defense, better wings (be it draft (jabari) / trade / or development of KJ or Tate), a reliable big, confirm the PG position. Pretty much every position but the starting SG, there's a need. One can even argue coaching staff improvement as a need.​

Then he says bunch of things that sums to "... <in the draft I hope to find good basketball players>..." o_O .... isn't every GM?

Not bashing Stone too much just more like hey Stone has a rare interview, then I walk away not learning too many things new.

#205 TimDuncanDonaut, Apr 15, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2022
    roslolian and D-rock like this.
  6. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

The league's goal is to lessen tanking, to your point it hasn't been very successful. The current system at least discourages perpetual tanking, otherwise teams would basically throw the whole season next year to be guaranteed Wembanyama. Having at best a 14% chance at the top pick at least encourages teams to compete early in the season. It's a disservice to the fan base, particularly season ticket holders, to perpetually tank in pursuit of next year's unicorn. It becomes like the old sign outside the saloon that reads 'free beer tomorrow'.

Now a one or two year tank, can absolutely work, but beyond that losing compounds losing.

burlesk, Boii and snowconeman22 like this.
  7. dmoneybangbang

With the 5th pick I'd be looking at Keegan Murray and Sharpe, especially the latter if the workouts look great.

8. MystikArkitect

Team needs talent over fit right now. Sharpe would be the pick in that scenario barring bad workouts.

Nelly and dmoneybangbang like this.
  9. MC31B

MC31B Member

Dude his dad is Shannon Sharpe. You think he is going to be lazy? The biggest risk injury to the kid is his dad finding out that Shadeon is acting lazy and Shannon flies to Houston to beat the **** out of him. Have you seen his dad go off about lazy players? And yes we know that his shot will most likely translate because if you watch his gametape, he was taking NBA shots. He was not just overpowering high schoolers. He was making the game more difficult for himself because he knew that he needed a stepback, amongst other moves to have success in college and the NBA. And furthermore with KPJ no other team wanted him because of his temper and the Cavs knew that KPJ was a liability to kill himself. So they did the right thing by sending him to the team that had John Lucas as an assistant. That was a unique situation. And teams are not going to underbid you if you have a glut because they have to compete with all the other teams to aquire as much talent as possible.

And look, if he isn't actually 6'6 then I'll take back what I said. But per what I said earlier, he looks like he is bigger than 6'5 from what I have seen. Besides the days of a SF needing to be at least 6'8 are over.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, look at the teams that passed on Tyrese Haliburton because of "fit."

10. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

shannon sharpe the bronco TE? i dont think so

D-rock and mikenm268 like this.
  11. roslolian

roslolian Member

MJ is one of the most competitive people ever doesnt mean his kids turned out to be goat jr, in fact they were scrubs the only news I remember from his sons is they caused a controversy cuz the kid refused to wear adidas shoes thst were sponsoring his school. Then his kids got cushy jobs st NIKE so not even MJ were able to instill his competitive drive to his sons. Jackie Chan you know that dude? Started from nothing worked his way up thru blood, sweat, tears and various injuries due to his stunts. You know how his kid turned out? Became a drug addict just leaning on his dad. His dad got so mad he donated his money to charity instead etc So I dont give a **** who Sharpe's dad is he is his own man. Plus Shannon plays a diff sport what does football have to do with basketball? Should the Rox draft Tiger Wood's kid because he is the goat golfer? Smh makes zero sense.

KPJ dropped cuz of attitude issues he got caught stealing school laptops among other things. What does that have to do with Sharpe? Your point makes zero sense John Lucas isnt the only mentor in the entire NBA Rockets if Cavs really wanted whats best for KPJ they would have kept him around and hire their own mentors to keep watch over him. You act like every team out there respects John Lucas' mentoring wtf dude ok Pelicans should send Zion to the Rockets to be mentored by Lucas so will I see a Zion for 2nd round pick anytime soon? No? So you mean to tell me Pelicans just dont have Zion's best interest in mind thatd why they arent sending troubled player Zion to John Lucas for mentoring is that it?

Tyrese Haliburton didnt get passed for fit teams just thought he wasnt that good. For example Knicks needed a pg badly and ust signed Julius Randle but thought Obi Toppin was gonna be better. They thiught Toppin was BPA which is why this BPA argument is dumb as ****. Nobody knows who is BPA so how do you pick by BPA? The Blazers didnt know Jordan was gonna be goat and Sam Bowie was gonna be a scrub. What if Bowie was Hakeem instead you think people would be poking fun ar rhe Blazers? Nah Hakeem would prob be the goat by now since he had the help he needed day 1.

Just look up past no 1 high school prospects dude. For every Lebron you have an Austin Rivers or a Michael Beasley. There's a reason why NBA implemented an age limit.

12. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

LOL. Shannon Sharpe isn't Shaedon's father.

https://ukathletics.com/sports/mens...a Bell and,two siblings, Nishayne and Amari …

13. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

He is Sterling Sharpes daughter's husband.

14. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Man, fifth pick would be so disappointing.

Fullcourt, mikenm268 and D-rock like this.
  15. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

burlesk, Moe, Houston77 and 1 other person like this.
  16. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I really hate the “timeline” argument. Both Jalen, KPJ, and Sengun will be ready to compete next year if the Rockets move on from Wood and emphasize a defensive PF. Sengun will put on 20 lbs and be fine guarding the post, but needs a shot blocker at PF to anchor the defense. If we miss out on Jabari or Chet in this draft we should look to Ivey or Sharpe (if Stone sees him as a future top player) and do what we can to move our 17 pick, Tate, Wood, Gordon and even Kmj to find a defensive PF who can shoot, even if that means we give up our 23 FRP. Myles Turner is a good candidate, so what if he will be 30 in 3 years? Saying Green and Sengun aren’t ready for 4 years is absurd. Stone’s draft last year accelerated the re-build dramatically.

17. D-rock

D-rock Member

Do not give up 2023 FRP, this draft is loaded with talent at top of draft.

2024 is the one that should be traded instead.

burlesk likes this.
  18. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

Im on the Shaedon Sharp bandwagon with the 5th pick. Dude is legit.

Nelly likes this.
  19. vator

vator Contributing Member

20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Shaedon's out here trying to put out his own hype videos since he's like the Bigfoot of the college draft. lol.

D-rock, burlesk and vator like this.