1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can people stop comparing Jalen to Zach Lavine?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by my time to shine, Apr 17, 2022.

1. my time to shine

Zach Lavine is an absolute trash dead end player. Other than being able to jump high and hit 3s, they have nothing in common.

Jalens rookie year CLEARS lavines. Jalens athleticism is more fluid and graceful. Lavines athleticism is more violent and robotic.

Jalens footwork is already better… basically Jalen is a WAY better prospect than Lavine ever was and I’m tired of these humble comparisons. Lavine is trash.

Jalen > Lavine.

Cstyle42, Dopamine, JumpMan and 9 others like this.
  2. vator

vator Contributing Member

Most of Jalen’s comps were honestly low hanging fruit. He doesn’t really play like Beal, Lavine, or Booker. All of these guys are all stars so it wasn’t insulting so you just roll with it.

These were the comparisons people had to give him though or maybe felt most comfortable giving him because actually trying to match him to his athletic and skill equivalent comps means your comparing him to hall of fame players rather than just star players. A lot to put on a then 19 year old.

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Zach actually shows up for dunk contests.

4. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Better than the Corey Brewer comp.

5. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I haven't actually seen anybody compare Green to Lavine since very early in the season, but I don't really understand being offended by that comparison. Lavine is hardly trash. He's been killing it on the Bulls over the last few years. He's a two-time All-Star already. You and I have very different ideas of trash. To be honest, if you make an NBA roster, you're probably among the top 500 best players in the world. So I'd hardly call that trash. But I DEFINITELY would never call somebody who has made an NBA All-Star team trash. That's insane.

6. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Yes you are right. The comparisons have been unfair and biased. Even before the draft you heard this comparison from the media as many didn’t have high expectations and only saw Jalen as a scorer, and they didn’t know how dynamic and the high level offense he could generate. I think this view grew bigger at the beginning of the season when he wasn’t getting touches and playing more passively. But the narrative is changing as his excellent play is indisputable. Hopefully he will surpass the hype of the media darlings Mobley Cunningham and sorry ass Giddy.

dragonwill and my time to shine like this.
  7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Zach is a great comp for Green. Similar size, athleticism, and JG is showing flashes of being a similar level scorer and shooter

Zach is an all star starter who has been averaging close to 25 5 5 on really good shooting efficiency for 4 seasons now

We would be very lucky if Green reached LaVines current level

#7 ThatBoyNick, Apr 17, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2022
  8. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yeah I always saw Jalen Green as a better LaVine, Beal or Booker.

I wasn't afraid to say MJ or Kobe because that's what I saw.
    I never compared 19 y/o Green to prime MJ or prime Kobe, I compared
    19 y/o Jalen to 19 y/o MJ and 19 y/o Kobe; as proper comps should be.
    The greats had to ramp up to greatness as well.

I wasn't speaking directly to Jalen.....just to us around the water cooler.

Beal was a spot up shooter only recently after Wall/Westbrook allowed Beal
    to create. Since then Beal has been scoring 30+ and challenging for scoring
    titles. But elevation, hang time, and zig-zag speed and athleticism.....Beal
    I don't see it. Straight line dunker.

LaVine shooter, leaper.....again straight line dunker.

Tfor3, glimmertwins, 13 in 33 and 6 others like this.
  9. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

I think the comparisons are based on people’s perception of him as purely a scorer and not so much in the passing or play making realm, which to be fair people just didn’t know and he wasn’t playing great in the beginning of the season. But we have seen his playmaking ability and ability to set team mates up and I think he would grow next year in that area and be more well rounded. So this narrative is changing and hopefully the perceptions from nba fans and media would change.

vator likes this.
  10. my time to shine

this is the type of forced humble bs I’m talking about.

I would be extremely disappointed if Jalen ends up zach lavine… which he won’t.

Jalen is more of a Vince carter, tmac, Clyde drexler, Kobe, MJ type of prospect

Boii and Stephen_A like this.
  11. my time to shine

I don’t mean trash literally. Just trash comparison in relation to what Jalen is actually capable of.

As a prospect he’s more of a Clyde drexler, Kobe Bryant, Tracy McGrady, vince carter, Michael Jordan, Dwayne Wade type of comparison.

Not a Zach lavine or Jason Richardson type.

I still hear people say Jalen has a Zach lavine ceiling which is absolute bonkers to me. I think Jalen has a Zach lavine floor if he stays healthy

Boii and Stephen_A like this.
  12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

LaVine is only 27 he’s still building his legacy, he’s arguably better now then Carter every was

Your saying you’d be extremely disappointed if Green winded up being a 25-5-5 on elite efficiency, all star starter, that makes no sense

All of those players you just named are two things, 1 HOFers, 2 larger players then Green, Jalen is 6’4 180 dude

jiggyfly, charlieaustin, Nook and 3 others like this.
  13. my time to shine

Lavine is mid and always will be - he’s not a game changer.

Jalen is taller than 6’4 - he’s been listed as 6’6 and 6’5 on plenty of measurements. Give him 2-3 seasons to grow a little and fill out his frame.

If height is holding you back from the comparisons I listed then I’ll say Iverson. Jalen should be as productive as Iverson then.

14. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Jalen Green > Zach Lavine

15. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Seems like you only want Jalen compared 90’s / 2000’s HOFers that had big hype around them

LaVine is really good comp imo, Jalen and Zach are the same mold.

LaVine a super talented player, it’s far from disrespect to Jalen.

jiggyfly likes this.
  16. TimDuncanDonaut

As far as playstyle:

Booker to me is only a two tier player (3pt and mid range). A very skilled mid range sure, but he's basket attacking is really not something to write home about. Jalen is a 3 tier. Jalen also gets the nod in the athleticism department.

Beal is more of a scorer than shooter. As Jalen grow, I can see Jalen easily pass Beal in shooting.

All these guys are successful, so it's not a knock on their accomplishments. If any young player get to where those guys are which is max / near max contract. That's success in life.

#16 TimDuncanDonaut, Apr 17, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2022
    xaos and vator like this.
  17. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I guess. I hope Green is capable of averaging more than 14.9 points his second season though.

my time to shine likes this.
  18. HeyBudLetsParty

I do think Jalen Green had the best age 19 season of any shooting guard in recent memory. He’s more athletic than Booker and Beal and seems to have more natural feel than Lavine. Kids ceiling is definitely being the best pure shooting guard in the league for multiple years, none of it will matter if the Rockets can’t pair him with an equally good player and surrounding talent m.

Dopamine, xaos, Boii and 7 others like this.
  19. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Didn't know this was even a thing. Sources?

roslolian likes this.
  20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

LaVine was the 3rd+ option on a team with 2 other number one picks, not the single high touted prospect who was force fed shots since his first game in the league.

Context fellas

marinara, burlesk, hakeem94 and 2 others like this.