1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bregman/Tucker/Yordan

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by the shark, Apr 15, 2022.

1. the shark

the shark Member

So Crane doesn't like to give long contracts.

They tried to extend Springer + Correa by buying out their arbitration yrs and hoping to get 1-2 yrs of FA. Both of them rejected it and bet on themselves. They were able to do it with Bregman.

So Tucker and Yordan will be FA after the '25 season. If both keep doing what they do they're both looking at massive contracts (200-300+ and 7+ yrs in length). Do either of them do what Bregman did and sacrifice 1-2 yrs of FA for some financial guarantee now? If either of them were to do it I would say Yordan (his knees). More than likely they bet on themselves and thus they're bye bye after '25.

If Bregman gets back into form (this yr + '23/'24) he'll be 30 yrs old when he's a FA. So he'll be looking at a massive contract as well.

So after the '25 season this team no longer has Tucker-Yordan-Bregman and of course Yuli and Brantley and JV are gone as well.

Throw in Framber-Urquidy-Garcia will be FA as well and looking to get paid. The farm system is extremely weak at the present time and will take a few yrs to build back up.

That said it's foolish to think that the window for competing for WS is just reloading. At some point the window is going to close for a few years. Just hoping they do everything they can to capitalize on the core they presently have.

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

This appears to be a new topic that's never been discussed.

arkoe, crose and jim1961 like this.
  3. the shark

the shark Member

So every topic has to be "new"???

I'm sure it's been discussed in threads from time to time but I have something called a life and thus don't live on here and my God the horror of starting a new thread on a fan forum???

That said one thing that this forum can count on is bobrek popping off with a smart @$$ comment. From here on out I'll check in with you to make sure my posts/comments meet your satisfaction.

4. bobrek

Feel free to message me with your request.

Buck Turgidson and cmlmel77 like this.
  5. Buck Turgidson

What may or may not happen in 4 years is not even remotely on my radar.

Extensions would be great at some point, pretty sure the Astros agree

6. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Can we stop gatekeeping new threads being created on this forum? New threads spur more discussion about Astros baseball, which is what all of us want.

As for the extensions, I would strongly prefer the Astros put effort into extending Tucker and Yordan rather than the young pitchers. The Astros seem to pump out good young pitchers year after year. Looking at our system, our pitching seems pretty deep to me. Our position players? Not so much. While we do have more OF prospects than IF prospects, I don't want to rely on two of Leon, Whitaker, Barber, Cerny, etc on hitting, especially when we have two bona fide stars in Yordan and Tucker already. Lock those two guys up.

Houstunna, cmlmel77 and the shark like this.
  7. bobrek

The search function is a great utility for easily finding the existing threads and following and contributing to those discussions.

8. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Bregman will not be that long because of his age. No way he gets 10 years. I'm thinking 7 years at most.

9. jim1961

jim1961 Member

The cart is a couple football fields in front of the horse on this one I think.

10. the shark

the shark Member

We have a self appointed gatekeeper that will police the forum and throw in his smart @$$ comments when things aren't approved by him.

11. Buck Turgidson

Does that make you the keymaster?

[​IMG]

Milos likes this.
  12. Major

Major Member

I think projecting out 4 years is sort of a fool's errand. 4 years ago, Gerrit Cole had just arrived. Zack Greinke hadn't arrived. None of the young pitchers on the team were in the mix. Neither Yordan or Brantley were here. Basically no one in the bullpen was here then - Osuna was our closer. Etc. etc. Too many things will change between now and then to really project out very much on what the team will look like.

Today's team has only 9 players from the 2018 roster, if I'm counting correctly.

Bregatron and HeyBudLetsParty like this.
  13. the shark

the shark Member

That would be bobrek

14. HeyBudLetsParty

this, to me the Astros will be perennial contenders until they’re not

15. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Is that pronounced Bo Brick or Bob Wreck? I wouldn't want to offense anyone's sensitivities.

16. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

My opinion is that in order to keep the window open there needs to be a combination of veteran and young players with some change each year.

Only 10 of the players on the 2017 WS roster were also on the 2019 WS roster.

Only 12 of the players on the 2019 WS roster were on the 2021 WS roster.

No pitcher was on all 3 and only 7 were on 2 different WS rosters.

And Only 4 position players were on all 3 and 1 of them is gone now.

6 of the 25 players from the 2021 WS roster are already playing for other teams.

Keeping the 4 core infielders has been huge but so has completely revamping the pitching staff and bringing in/up new position players

Don't be afraid to let new players prove themselves and become a part of this Golden age of success but don't change just for the sake of change

Houstunna likes this.
  17. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

Also do not retain just for the sake of retention.