1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

With the 5th pick in the draft, the Houston Rockets select....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Apr 11, 2022.

?

Who do you want?

Poll closed Jun 24, 2022.
  1. Jalen Duren

8.4%
  2. Johnny Davis

0.4%
  3. AJ Griffin

15.3%
  4. Bennedict Mathurin

5.6%
  5. Keegan Murray

34.5%
  6. Other - Name your player in your post

10.0%
  7. Shaedon Sharpe

25.7%
  1. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Griffin is one of the worst players in the draft. He was flat out a non-factor of any sort in the tournament and the end of the season. Can’t believe the people and lack of knowledge at times on this board. 5th????????????

2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Let it out son.

3. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

For one, Griffin's excellent game against Arkansas propelled Duke to the Final Four. Second, this you?

Still think Suggs may be the best player from last draft based on how he performed during the tourney, etc?

4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Nelly, SWTsig, Denovo and 2 others like this.
  5. Rokman

Rokman Member

34 days and counting til we find out the draft picks. . . . I would recommend those stressing and worrying to take 3 or 4 weeks off from basketball and enjoy life and then resume your stressing a little closer to the date.

D-rock, Nelly, Rudyc281 and 1 other person like this.
  6. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Nah. I plan on it taking up a great deal of my mental space until the moment we discover our position. Then I'll be running a million mocks.

D-rock, Rudyc281, Y2JT and 2 others like this.
  7. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

With the 3rd pick in the 2022 NBA draft......

Rudyc281 likes this.
  8. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Give me options

Are we talking Ivey vs Banchero if Chet/Jabari are gone?

Rudyc281 likes this.
  9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

With the fifth pick in the NBA draft...

DD

Rudyc281 likes this.
  10. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I would go with Banchero in that situation.

11. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I would go with Sochan.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  12. mikenm268

mikenm268 Member

[from Athletic profile on Sharpe]
    Vecenie: "Sharpe is a 6-foot-6 wing with long arms and all sorts of explosive athleticism. He’s twitchy, and looks every bit like the kind of shot creator wing that NBA teams covet.

He plays above the rim with real vertical pop (particularly off of two feet), manifesting itself in Sharpe living on the highlight reel by catching lobs and running out in transition for easy finishes. But he’s also quick and laterally adept as an athlete, in addition to having real body control and fluidity. He doesn’t just possess that athleticism: He actually gets a lot out of it on the court. He has a good first step, and can drive to the rim in a straight line with ease. He has good contact balance, for the most part, for his age. He’s not quite in the Anthony Edwards class of powerful, and not quite in the Jalen Green class in terms of quick-twitch. But he’s a real, above-average NBA athlete even as a shot creator.

The place where Sharpe has most matured over the years, though, is as a pull-up shot creator. He has a ton of craft getting to his 3-point shot off the bounce, with all sorts of different footwork improvements that allow him to stay balanced while separating from defenders. He’ll pull out side-step, step-back 3s off of crossovers to both his left or (for righties, the more difficult side) his right. He has a soft touch, and the ball comes out of his hand cleanly...
    ...Basically, Sharpe puts pressure on the rim as a cutter and driver, as well as makes pull-up shots. It’s hard to overestimate how impressive it is to find a combination of those skills at the teenage level.

He also pairs it with a real ability to defend when he wants to, using his length and athleticism to disrupt opposing players on the ball."

As a high upside 5th pick, seems like we could do a lot worse. If his listed 7'0" wingspan is legit, he could certainly play the 3.

#172 mikenm268, Apr 14, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2022
    D-rock, vator, Rudyc281 and 3 others like this.
  13. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

One of the few times we see differently.

I would go Ivey.

D-rock likes this.
  14. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

If I had to choose between Banchero or Ivey with the 3rd pick, I'd take Ivey. I recognize that the team already has a slew of guards on the roster but the only one that's close to untouchable is Green. Wall can still sit his ass at home, Gordon should be gone any day/week/month now, and, while I'm a supporter of both JC and Porter, I would take Ivey and see which player will rise to the top.

One of our favorite teams in the NBA--the Grizzlies--has a lot of guard/wing play and it looks like it's been working out for them so far.

15. TimDuncanDonaut

Say we get the 4th pick and you know Chet/Jabari are already gone by #1 and #2.

If the 3rd pick team will listen to offer from us to trade up by 1 spot. Would you give up an asset to lock into the Ivey or Paolo?

What would be the highest price you're willing to pay. I honestly don't know curious on the CF room temperature.

Would you give up the nets pick + #4 for #3?
    What about KPJ + #4 for #3?
    Do nothing,... just take whomever's left.

Or something else...

#175 TimDuncanDonaut, Apr 14, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2022
    ApacheWarrior and D-rock like this.
  16. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

He's like a mini T-Mac. Or a cross between Tmac and Brandon Roy.

17. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Murray da truth.

18. ilovehtownbb

ilovehtownbb Member

Do nothing, take Ivey.

BamBam likes this.
  19. Rokman

Rokman Member

With the 1st Pick in the 2022 NBA Draft, The Houston Rockets select - Chet Holmgren (I think he's going #1 overall no matter who is picking)
    With the 2nd Pick in the 2022 NBA Draft, The Houston Rockets select - Jabari Smith Jr. ( I think he's going #2 overall no matter who is picking)
    With the 3rd Pick in the 2022 NBA Draft, The Houston Rockets select - Paolo Banchero (This is up for grabs depending on who is picking here)
    With the 4th Pick in the 2022 NBA Draft, The Houston Rockets select - Jaden Ivey (I think Banchero likely goes above Ivey and I dont think they pass him up)
    With the 5th Pick in the 2022 NBA Draft, The Houston Rockets select - Keegan Murray ( They need length, shooting and defense and he has all 3)

jcmoon, D-rock and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Don't get me wrong, Ivey seems like a good player. Its just that when you are in that position with this teams current makeup it would be best to go with need.

ApacheWarrior likes this.