1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

2022 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Dec 8, 2021.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

This. The Astros likely had him come from the pen as he might be needed out of the pen depending on what happens during the year at the MLB level. Pitchers can be creatures of habit, and whine when they are used in a different way. This keeps them from getting set in their ways.

2. Buck Turgidson

Yeah...this is not a new thing at all.

tellitlikeitis likes this.
  3. Screaming Fist

You can apparently access PCL games on Savant now by pasting in the MiLB game ID. Here's Brown's pitches from last night:
    [​IMG]
    Fairly impressive.

4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I am quickly moving into “do NOT trade Hunter Brown” territory.

5. Screaming Fist

Htown Legend and Snake Diggit like this.
  6. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

James’ velocity is way down. Not a good sign.

I was very surprised they don’t have Dubin stretched out. I think he can make an elite reliever, but with his upside I figured they’d stretch him out until it was certain he couldn’t be a good SP.

7. Screaming Fist

I was intrigued by James' few performances to end the season last year but yeah he's not going to be playing professionally for long with those numbers.

8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

So far the pitching in the lower levels seems like it sucks.

9. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Angel Macuare turned in a nice start, but it ended in tough fashion as he gave up an RBI single and an RBI double in the 5th.

5 IP, 6 H, 2 ER, 5 K

Misael Tamarez followed with an impressive 2022 debut out of the bullpen: 3 IP, 2 H, 6 K

#249 tellitlikeitis, Apr 13, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2022
    Snake Diggit likes this.
  10. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Jonathan Bermudez vs. Round Rock: 6 IP, 4 H, ER, 5 K

The one run scored on a solo homer.

11. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

There are several pitchers already on the forty man roster ahead of him. I do not believe they will bring him up till there is reason to believe he is ready to stay up. If a temporary need brings someone up it will be someone already on the roster.

12. Buck Turgidson

Not as SP that I can tell. Solomon, and maybe Dubin?

13. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

It would probably be Bermudez, Bielak, Whitley, and Solomon. Obviously, Forrest would most likely be the last of the four to get a look should a need for a starter arise...

Dubin, in all honesty, should probably be up soon.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  14. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

If Josh James is still hovering around 91 with a low 80's slider after a few more starts he's likely at the head of the line for the next 40 man casualty. In this day and age that's basically junk pitcher stuff.

As for the SP options, with 33 games in 34 days coming up, I would be shocked if we don't see 6 man rotation and/or tandem action. No way we go through that stretch with the standard 5 man and single inning relievers setup. I'm sure Bielak will be one of them added, and wouldn't be surprised at all if Bermudez and Dubin make their debuts.

I think they will hold off on Hunter Brown til later in the season unless he starts dominating and forces their hand.

#254 sealclubber1016, Apr 14, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2022
  15. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I think it depends on whether the need is short term or long term. If they need a spot start I think the pecking order would be Solomon, Bermudez, then Bielak (of course based on who is rested). They aren’t calling up Brown for a spot start. If none of those 3 were available, they might call up Dubin and try to get him thru 3 innings.

If the need was more serious I still think Solomon would be the pick. But it wouldn’t surprise me if they called up Brown if there was a permanent opening in the rotation.

16. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

The roster crunch really hurts Brown.

In order for him to pitch in Houston there will need to be a vacancy and an existing pitcher will need to be dealt, waived, or put on 60 day IL.

I think he will be in Houston in 2023 but too many arms ahead of him in 2022

Framber, Verlander, Urquidy, and L.Garcia all have rotation spots that won't be taken away unless injured.

Odorizzi is 5th now ( I don't know why) and there needs to be a reason for him to lose his spot.

Javier is sitting and waiting for the first opening. Cluck has said his future is as a starter and the team wants him in the rotation.

McCullers was not put on 60 day IL when the team needed a roster spot so clearly thevteam expects him back sooner rather than later.

Once he is back there are 7 starters ahead of him not 6.

Until then thevteam won't waste losing a player to waivers and starting his MLB service clock for a short term need. They will go with Solomon Bielak or Bermudez if a 7th starter is needed.

The pen is just as crowded with 10 pitchers needing to get cut back to 8 in 2 weeks.

Too many arms already on the 40 man for the team to start his service clock.

17. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Zach Daniels hit his first homer of the season for Asheville.

Nerio Rodriguez just did so as well.

Uprising and Snake Diggit like this.
  18. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Chayce McDermott got knocked out of tonight's game by a 2-run double in the 5th: 4.1 IP, 5 H (solo HR allowed), 3 ER, BB, 7 K

Adrian Chaidez stops the bleeding by getting the final two outs of the 5th via strikeout. Asheville/Greenville tied at 3 heading into the bottom of the 5th...

#258 tellitlikeitis, Apr 14, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2022
    Snake Diggit likes this.
  19. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Will Wagner whacked a three-run homer (2) to break the tie in the Tourists' favor.

No Worries and Snake Diggit like this.
  20. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

Anyone know what's up with Colin Barber?