1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Has KPJ Turned the Corner in Your Eyes as a Person and Player?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by vator, Apr 10, 2022.

?

Is KPJ Finally Figuring It Out?

1. Yes

49 vote(s)
    28.8%
  2. No, it’s just a matter of time

37 vote(s)
    21.8%
  3. Unsure

84 vote(s)
    49.4%
  1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Well best find another team then.

DD

2. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Yes and no. He made several dumb forced plays in that last game against the Hawks. But I agree he played more free and we might see the best version of him next year.

saleem likes this.
  3. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Just an erratic dude and his play on the court reflects this.

Corrosion likes this.
  4. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

I think he is erratic and reckless but he did show us he can score in these last few games. I would like to see what he polishes up for next season. He has got to make better decisions with the ball. I don’t see how this team can win with him at the point but I would still
    Like to see what the next KPJ iteration looks like in 22-23.

Corrosion, groovemachine and Tfor3 like this.
  5. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

I do not think we can assume the way the season ended is how it will begin next season. KPJ played well and scored 50 points to end the season last year too. The schedule at the end of the year looked relatively weak. The games were not that important, and they still lost. I dont think it is a switch that is flipped, i think it is just general growth which he has achieved, I think he will struggle a little next year and continue to grow. A lot of this has to do with Wood out and getting more shots up between he and Jalen.

burlesk, D-rock and groovemachine like this.
  6. vator

vator Contributing Member

burlesk, BallSoHarden, Tfor3 and 3 others like this.
  7. D-rock

D-rock Member

I'm still rooting for him.

8. PatBev

PatBev Member

We could all thank god for setting the obstacles needed to get him for a late second rounder

Once we are a dynasty the story of KPJ will be biblical

burlesk, D-rock and hajkov like this.
  9. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

I just noticed your post ratio to likes received.

Holy moly.

But back to the topic at hand, you really do have a questionable love for KPJ.

Weren't you the guy who put others down because you're the supposed 'coach' and your opinion matters more than others? For a 'coach', KPJ is the last person you'd want on a team.

inb4 you make another comment about 'every championship team needs a junkyard dog'

You're confusing a James Posey junkyard dog to a KPJ stray pitbull.

Corrosion likes this.
  10. hajkov

hajkov Consummate Member

To his not wanted/not needed defense, old guys like tinman, DD, had most posts back in a time where likes weren't available in BBS.
    These guys were so insanely posting back then that I think 70% of their total posts comes from the 99-02. When I came here the posting count was already absurd lol.

But still, it is not possible to like comments like "the org knows what they are doing" or "go find another team" when you have a bad coaching staff and a front office that all they did so far was trade one bad contract for another, tank and pray for a pick, sit a 40M player for a season, let KPJ get away with unprofessional attitudes...

Anyway... I am not sure they even have a clue. Silas I know he doesn't.
    As for Stone, I really hope he has learned something from Morey. But only time will tell.

11. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Early to mid second round pick. Until he plays one full season without an issue, we won’t be offered a first rounder.

Crashlanded19 and hajkov like this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

They need to know that scoring is really just one part of the NBA.

There is a lot more so him and Jalen outscoring each other was just for spectacular show against below or above average teams.

Really hope Kevin finds some constants in his life and he grows as a person.

Crashlanded19 likes this.
  13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Honestly anyone not pulling for him is absolute garbage.

Roc Paint likes this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Seems DaDa is edgy during the offseason, duly noted.

hajkov likes this.
  15. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

He needs to make it through at least one whole season without throwing a fit.

16. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

He can do that from the bench - not by getting starters minutes on a team trying to develop equally talented players at the same position.

Crashlanded19 likes this.
  17. Denovo

Denovo Member

Coaching troubled players is actually the norm where I’m from. Especially in public school.

Better to coach them and help them grow than to send them back to the streets to fend for themselves.

You’d be surprised at how just having that one male role model (coach) can impact and change the direction of a kids life.

https://rocketswire.usatoday.com/20...with-trade-rockets-potentially-saved-my-life/

burlesk and D-rock like this.
  18. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I think he is in the process . He’s shown good signs this season .

hopefully , we are tipping the scales in terms of talent and guys will actually benefit from having clearer roles and more spacing / force on their side .

kpj has the tools , just needs to keep refining and get in better condition . His defense is really good when he’s engaged , and he can keep it up a good while .

his shooting is very good . I wonder if we can get him more catch and shoot looks ? His playmaking and turnover ratio has gotten a bit better too . He looks more under control , but not completely in-charge.

green being quick and decisive has been a great boon to him . Sengun / Tate / forward getting better over the offseason and Silas having a clearer picture in mind can help him too .

To me , the guy he should be trying to emulate a bit is jrue holliday . We have / will have some very talented pieces around him and even though everyone is young and the team will be inconsistent , hopefully , the roles will be consistent . He will face adversity , let’s see if he can keep making shots .

burlesk and D-rock like this.
  19. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

If the team feels they want to extend him. I think you go with $10 million per w/ 2 years guaranteed. That’s about mid level money.

I’d go 4 yrs- $40 million with 2-yrs$20 million guaranteed. The other two years would be team options at $10 million per. That is basically (3 ) - 1 yr $10 million deals after the first year which he is likely to be on his best behavior. If he screws up the Rockets can move on pretty easily.

That way he gets paid and the team is protected. After that, if he shows growth & matures he’ll still be 25 or 26 and in line for a bigger payday.

Corrosion likes this.
  20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I'll say this:

KPJ did sell me this season on being part of the team moving forward.

However... I do not think the Rockets should shy away from acquiring or drafting a PG and I do think there is a tight budget for what I would pay to resign him as a RFA or with an extension which I don't think he's likely to take. Moving forward I see him as more of a 6th man, or utility scorer/creator. If he was good enough to be a foundational piece, I think it would have been much much harder to be a 20 loss team.

I also think there's a higher likelihood than not that he could actually be traded in a pretty good deal for the Rockets. I think other GM's will see what I see and see someone who can fit a huge hole as a 6th man or a utility scorer, and he's got such an enticing contract right now for a contender that has NO cap space to sign free agents in the next 3 years to get a guy this Summer who they can match anything and get talent they wouldn't otherwise have the ability to get.

If Utah is offering 2 first round picks and Azuibuke for KPJ this Summer is that something anyone here has the stomach to turn down right away? KPJ clearly fills the hole for alot of teams like this that don't have cap space, need perimeter scoring off the bench & have to win now.

If nobody is throwing sweet deals at Stone this Summer though I'm perfectly fine running it back next year with him. It's just that John Wall might have to start the season as starting PG even though he'll see lots of minutes next to Green anyways. I do think he's a player in this league though moving forward.... just not seeing a superstar foundational piece though, and frankly I think he might be more valuable to another team sooner than we think.

Crashlanded19 and hajkov like this.