1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[PC Building] Building a new gaming rig

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by fallenphoenix, Jul 10, 2013.

Tags:
  1. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Good call, Altex I need to visit more often. I always forget about them, I've used them in the past.

2. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I usually don't like Zotac either, but when I got that AMP HOLO edition or whatever branding it was that thing was solid. No issues pushing it and bypassing LHR by almost 75% on eth. I think I oc'd the memory by +1200 or so too and limited the Power to 70%. Not bad for a Zotac or any card for that matter.

I didn't have it long though but it's made me rethink Zotac, at least their higher tier cards... In past though zotac was probably my worst experiences I have had with a video card. I guess what I'm saying when there's a shortage on the 40 series and zotac is all that's left I might try them again. Right now? Probably not, haha

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

There's always another generation of cards around the corner. lol. I mean, the 3080 was just released a few months ago. I'm just happy these things are coming down to more normal prices. Well, sorta. No telling how long this lasts, though. I don't think the nVidia 40-series cards are supposed to be released until the end of the year at the earliest, are they?

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I think I went to the one in the DFW area once for something like 15 years ago. I don't even remember why I went there. I think it was for a 4-pin molex cable or something. lol. I remember them always being more expensive on stuff, and there was always other stores around or online unless I needed something in an emergency and couldn't find it anywhere else. I completely forgot they even exist.

5. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yes, unfortunately that was my experience too a few years ago when trying to buy a case for a build I was doing for a family member, I do like having the option to go to a store if needed so I might try again at some point if needed.

I think if I remember right though, way way back, I bought some specialty ps/2 add-on card/that used a ribbon cable and attached to a pinned connector on the mobo to add a ps/2 mouse port on a 486 or maybe a very early early pentium I built... I'm almost certainly thinking it was the. 486 since this was back when you'd look at the business section in the newspaper and see various ads for buying computer parts. I think at the time Chipsmart was one of the other decently priced spots. This was before Frys came in

6. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

7. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Only thing I'm wary about are rebates, but I'm enjoying these things drop like a brick... lol.

Here's an RTX 3080 deal for anyone interested for $970 on Amazon.

Need CPUs and have a MicroCenter nearby and are a new customer? Check out these deals posted on SlickDeals

9. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Amazon had an ASUS 3070 Ti for $700 a few days ago. Prices are getting back to normal MSRP. If I were looking, I'd buy a 30 series card now.

If you wait for a 40 series, you're not gonna find one at normal prices for a while.

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

#110 Dr of Dunk, Apr 13, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2022
  11. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

12. larsv8

Depends on your value of worth.

13. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

i guess meaning...that price coming down in next few months or no?

whens that 40 series drop?

14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I'm still waiting, especially since it would cost another $25 or so for shipping from EVGA. Ultimately, I may wait for the new CPUs this summer or better understanding on what the 40-series is going to look like.

For me, I would rather wait for a drop into the $800's or so for that card, which may see - who knows. I thought prices would drop, but didn't think they'd start cratering this fast. Of course, they're still way above MSRP in some cases. I'm just happy for inventory. The MSRP for a 3080 FE is $699. If that's not worth it, then the faster performance and better cooling of the some of the other cards out there like the EVGA's may not be worth it to you. It's a personal thing. Once I'm more clear about AMD CPUs coming out and 40-series pricing/performance, I'm pulling the trigger on pretty much everything at once, if possible.

The 30's and 40's are probably going to co-exist. The 40's may come out with jacked up prices, and do we know their power requirements? We may be in supply shortages again with China lockdowns that will last who-knows-how-long, we may have COVID-22... nobody knows.

15. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I think if you get it, and you have a use like high res/fps gaming now/something intensive that you plan to do, I'd personally just go for the evga 12gb for $999, I think the extra $100 will make it worth it, especially if you resell it for the 40 series later.

Obviously this stuff could crater more but I think we're nearing it. I think with the unknowns, if you have a use case now (assuming it's not breaking the bank etc.) it'll be worth it. The reason I'm saying that is because with what I've seen on the 3070/3080 ti currently, unless you have an incredible display/4k tv to pair it with now, you'll need to buy a display/4k TV with 120hz+ to get more out of the 40 series anyway.

I mean the 30 series already is way ahead of consoles, so I feel like unless there's a new console gen coming the 40 series is coming before it's even needed because the game devs are still designing for the current gen. I'm not saying you won't get more perks/performance on the 40 series, I just think we're reaching a crossroad where a display's resolution is finally going to be an even more important feature, ie if you have a 1080p display, it's going to be even more obvious why the 40 series isn't even needed yet when comparing benchmarks between a 30 vs 40 series.

With that said, my advice is probably not the best if trying to be frugal...

I'm currently way behind on my desktop cpu that's paired with that 3080 ti due to wanting to wait for a more mature DDR5 chipset and pci express 5.0, especially since I'll probably want a pci express 5 nvme drive too, assuming directstorage reaches its full potential by then.

16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

CCity Zero likes this.
  17. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Nice, I'm glad they updated this, thanks for sharing it.

This paragraph right here "You can see what DLSS Quality mode did for performance on the MSI RTX 3080 12GB in our review, but the short summary is that it boosted performance by 50% at 1080p ultra, 67% at 1440p ultra, and 96% at 4K ultra — with that last taking performance from an unplayable 26 fps average to a comfortable 51 fps. You can also legitimately use the Balanced and Performance modes without killing image quality, especially at 4K, which will deliver even larger gains." details what I'm meaning in my book long post.

Like with a 4k display and 3080 12 gb - using DLSS and turning off features that are not needed vs running at 1080p means you can probably easily get 60+ fps avg at 4k. If the 40 series really is a full 80%+ better and it's affordable it would even further point out the need for a 4k display with a high refresh rate. This obviously started happening a while back but it's been getting even crazier on the gap with these newer cards.

18. larsv8

Reviews out for

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D

Its a monster

19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

The only other updates on this I had heard of were minimal leaks. Hopefully this has some content. This is the CPU I was waiting to see when it comes to performance, power, and price vs something like a 12700k, 5900x, etc.

20. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

A guy gave me a EVGA GTX 570 video card instead of paying me back the money he owed. I mean like: WTF am I supposed to do with that??? o_O